• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One of them hybrid cage builds (lots of pics)

travisk

NAXJA Forum User
Not just any fool can build a hybrid exo cage on his XJ, so I hired my friend Kalil to help me build one. He's new to Jeeps, but he's fabbed some really nice cages for his Ranger bros. Surely nothing can go wrong.

This design is definitely a compromise between added passenger safety and protecting the unibody in a low-speed flop.

Here it is, in pics:

I picked up seven 22' sticks of 1.75" .120 wall DOM tubing for $2.60 per foot. i'm pretty sure we won't use 154 feet of tubing, but better safe than sorry.

normal_image~146.jpg

First I spent a few hours stripping out the carpet, plastic pieces, seats, center console, headliner and front fenders. This is the part where you realize how insignificant the amount sheet metal is protecting your head in a Cherokee.

normal_image~149.jpg

Kalil started on the halo. There are 4 bends up front. Bending an 18' tube indoors was a challenge. We had to move a lot of things around the shop and flip the bender around a few times to get it done.

normal_IMG_2518.JPG

The halo came out pretty good, but we ended up cutting it and slugging it up front to get the width and shape exactly how I wanted it.

normal_IMG_2524.JPG

I'm told slugging can be just as strong as keeping the piece whole, so I'm not too worried about it.

normal_IMG_2532.JPG

Four bends in each of the three spreaders.

normal_IMG_2536.JPG

It took a while to get the notches in each of the spreaders just right.

normal_IMG_2537.JPG

Running a 2" hole saw through layers of sheet metal with a high-torque drill was good way to almost break my arms. No turning back now.

normal_IMG_2545.JPG

Lots and lots of notching.

normal_IMG_2547.JPG

Getting the fit right takes a while.

normal_IMG_2551.JPG

Getting the cage to hug the roof fairly tightly is a priority for me.

normal_IMG_2553.JPG

Kalil tacking in the spreaders.

normal_IMG_2557.JPG

B and C pillars are set in place.

normal_IMG_2561.JPG

The B pillars hit 6" plates at the floor, which will bolt through to plates underneath that will be supported by a very short tube to the rock slider support, which is welded to my frame stiffeners.

normal_IMG_2558.JPG

Continued...

Last edited:
C pillars go up behind the back seat. They will bolt through to plates under the unbody. I'm not exactly sure how I want the bottom plate to attach to the frame rail yet.

normal_IMG_2559.JPG

Trying to get the halo to fit just right.

normal_IMG_2565.JPG

The end of Day 1

normal_IMG_2567.JPG

Tomorrow we will lower the front a bit, do the A pillars, weld it all up and start on the triangulation.

As always, any critique is appreciated.

looks good so far. hard to make critiques until it is done.

and plans to cross-brace the B or C pillars? cowl spreader?

plans to cross-brace the B or C pillars? cowl spreader?

Yes. B pillars will be tied together with a standard shoulder bar and 4 diagonals meeting at the center. C pillar will be triangulated back down to the no-lift shackle mounts where they come through the floor.

On the roof, there will be tube from the center of the first spreader to where the A pillar meets the halo, and another pair back to where the halo meets the C pillar.

IMS quoted me $2.30 a foot, but driving with 22' pieces was sketchy enough without getting on the freeway, so I kept it local at Benner. I had to triple check that they were quoting me DOM prices because it was hard to believe.

IMS quoted me $2.30 a foot, but driving with 22' pieces was sketchy enough without getting on the freeway, so I kept it local at Benner. I had to triple check that they were quoting me DOM prices because it was hard to believe.

most steel places will deliver for a very small fee.

one of the reasons I have been paying $3/ft for 1.5" and $3.50/ft for 1.75 is that particular supply delivers for free.

looking good!

Last edited:
The B and C pillars look nice, got them tucked up to the body pretty good. Looking forward to seeing how the A pillars come out. Are you gunna tie the halo into to factory dip rails at all? I have mine welded to them all the way around and it really ties everything together

Looks good. I should check tubing prices locally. I just gave 4.79/ft for .120 1.25" 4130. DOM should be cheaper. :) How you going to tie in the A pillars? This is exactly what I'm looking at doing. I'll start with a 2x5 or 2x6 rocker replacement to have landing spot for the A pillar. Erics XJ style. Oh, when you do the A pillar, make sure to leave room to change a windshield. :)

A pillars will go down the inside of the fender just in front of the hinges and connect to the rock sliders. They will also weld to plates on the side of the cowl. I will forgo a cowl spreader right now as it doesn't seem necessary.

We put in another 4 hours today.

Strapped the cage down tight to set up the A pillars.

normal_IMG_2603.JPG

It took a while to get these notches just right.

normal_IMG_2608.JPG

Kalil is meticulous about getting the fit just right.

normal_IMG_2610.JPG

Ready to tack the A pillars in.

normal_IMG_2616.JPG

All set. The A pillars run down the inside of the front fender into the rock sliders.

normal_IMG_2630.JPG

The first triangles are formed.

normal_IMG_2649.JPG

Brought the cage inside for the next set of angles and to weld it all up.

normal_IMG_2660.JPG

Nice and tight

normal_IMG_2662.JPG

He put a lot of effort into getting these just right.

normal_IMG_2664.JPG

Tomorrow we'll finish up the roof, weld it up, put it back on the jeep, weld it in and start on the internal triangulation.

Last edited:
Looks great, now when you get done with it let me know so you can get it installed on my jeep.;)

Thank You

It is going to be nice when you finish. Looks great

lookin real good! subscribed because ill be using this thread as inspiration when I do my cage

Back