• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One of them hybrid cage builds (lots of pics)

Every situation is different, Having a broken door and dented c-pillar area from falling into a hole, where the 3 other rigs that fell into the same hole suffered no damage because they had full cages and tubes protecting them, I'd rather have tube.

That doesn't mean it needs to stick out 4 feet

Haha, yeah I'm just going to stop commenting because obviously I'm wrong no matter what.

I get the point, but neither of those situations above would get hung up on a tube like I'm describing. Vanimal's pic shows his driver rear would climb that rock before getting the D pillar even close to it. It actually proves my point because the tires stick out further than the tube would.

Same with the bottom pic, unless you are ripping your hatch and taillights off in those pictures, or leaning really far to the side so the drip rail is hanging further out than the tire, a D-pillar tube wouldn't get caught up in them.

Hell, make it a really thick walled 1" tube as long as you get some protection on the side and support to the rear of the halo.

I've had my fair share of run in's with trees.

I think you misunderstand me, I am in favor of tube being used to protect the body, when setup correctly. its one of the reasons I did my rear quarters the way I did.

I think you misunderstand me, I am in favor of tube being used to protect the body, when setup correctly. its one of the reasons I did my rear quarters the way I did.

Says the guy who parks his rig at the trailhead.

Full exo cages are gay. bottom line. :scottm:

That was the only way I could get my headliner back in. I went to the junkyard, picked up another headliner, then cut it into 4 pieces, then did lots of measuring and razor blade trimming to make the cutouts to use as a pattern. I did this because my original headliner was perfect and I didn't want to ruin it. After I made the patterns with the old headliner, I laid it over the top of my headliner and marked where to cut with a Sharpie. Made all the cuts with a razor knife. then re-installed my headliner in two pieces. I split my headliner exactly in the middle of the B-Pillar tubes, then notched around the tube. For the C and D pillars I was able to just make cutouts for each tube with a slit going to the outer edge of the headliner. It took a lot of time, but it turned out good and looks almost factory.

I always wondered how you got the headliner to fit so perfect the first time I saw your interior pics in another thread. That was something I was concerned about with a hybrid cage. Thanks for the pointers!

That is some amazing tube work on your rig. I wish mine wasnt still serving as a daily driver so I could do some crazy tube work like yours. I do have one question tho, and I apologize for asking a dumb question but I replace glass for a living, those a pillar bars look like they hug the windshield prety tight. If your windshield were to break how much of a problem would it be to have it replaced? Like I said sorry for the dumb question but once I have a second vehicle I would like to do something similar to what you have.

Long time lurker and first time poster....

travisk: Cage looks GREAT. I've built/help build about six or seven cages and If I were to build another XJ I'd definately copy your cage.

BrentT: Headliner looks awesome. Super sano, interior looks great.
I cheaped out on mine and just glued out door carpet up on the roof.

looks damn good. i just finished my cage on my MJ and can definitely appreciate how close you guys kept it to the body. very clean.

I've had my C-pillar catch stuff and hold me up. Easily solved by not caring, backing up a little, and throttling thru it. Granted both my rear doors are caved in now, but the vertical cage pieces are still good. Even after flopping onto the DS, the halo and driprail are still mint.

Still room for kids in the backseat?

They fit. When I was a kid I just rode on my dad's lap but I guess this is OK too.

normal_kids_in_the_cage_1.jpg

I've got my first on the way and have been thinking, for some reason, I'd have to lose the XJ and get something more family friendly.
Glad to see I was wrong. Mostly.

Back