• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One of them hybrid cage builds (lots of pics)

Great looking cage. I am going to copy this design (probably won't do it any justice, lol) when I start on mine.

Love how clean the interior went back in, anyone can plop a cage in a gutted interior and call it done, but to go the extra step and put everything back on, its real classy look.

Great job guys

I'm interested in seeing your cargo area now that it looks like you have the plastic back in. I'm always worried about loosing cargo space between the tube and factory plastic so seeing how you crammed it back in would be interesting.

Also if you could document how yo u do the headliner when you get around to it that would be awesome. Subscribed for sure considering this is basically how I want my cage done.

An option for the back seat shoulder bar might be to use those weld on pieces usually used in engine cages that allow removal of the bar. Just an option.

I'm interested in seeing your cargo area now that it looks like you have the plastic back in.

Here is the cargo area with a 35" spare crammed in. You can see how much space I left between the plastic and the tubing.

normal_image~165.jpg

I still haven't finished reinstalling the headliner because I am lazy. I will take pictures, although they may end up working as a "what-not-to-do" demonstration.

I can't believe I'm still finishing this project.

normal_image~178.jpg

Had to split the headliner into three pieces to get it back in. It's just not flexible enough to squeeze in as one piece. Of course the headliner fabric disintegrates when cut, so I had to recover it.

normal_image~177.jpg

Souske suggested a toilet bowl brush on a drill to remove the old foam. Works great.

normal_image~181.jpg

It came out alright, considering the headliner shop wanted to charge me $800 to do the same job. I'm sure theirs would have been much nicer.

normal_image~179.jpg

Digging the powered toilet brush. Might have to use that for other household projects :shame:

Great write up and VERY nice work! I finished a partial lower exo-cage on mine a couple of months ago for the Chile Challenge in New Mexico. I wanted something much different than everything else I have seen. I copied the front from a rock buggy called Bounty Hunter. There wasn't a corner I didn't lay it over on.... the cage worked very well and I never got hung up on it! I plan to cut the roof off and build a full cage in the next few months. You have given me several new ideas...thank you!

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac200/DaYeep/Jeep12_zps9f680ce0.jpg

Last edited:
Great write up and pics.I am in process right now building my hybrid cage.
Its very similar on halo and crossbars. Yes the notches on halo and cross bars take time.
I have my b and c drop bars bent and floor plated at c and d drop. Need a good day to get halo back on and tacked up.. I have twin girls and need to be aware of rear seat accessibility, which many people dont have to worry about. Gonna be nice, cant wait.

Back