• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Okay before I Buy My Gear

Wrong... Ironically, my mileage stayed about the same, if not slightly better with 33's over the 30's... I cruise at a happy 1700 rpm @ 70mph :D

As for acceleration, I can be doing 70~ mph at the top/bottom of any ramp... more than enough to merge with traffic. It's not a Ferrari. Don't get me wrong, I'll regear in the future, but telling the guy he shouldn't do jack shit because he's on 3.55's is stupid.

It's not the gears I'm concerned with, it's the axle. Yes you can run 3.55's with 33's, performance isn't the best, but it will work. You're going to wonder why you didn't regear sooner when you do get them in. :)

I'm more concerned with him breaking an axle shaft by going to too big of a tire on a D35 or 27 spline 8.25. He's looking at 32's and he should take it easy on those. What he should really do is sell that blingy lift to me for 2k and then he'd have enough to do everything. :)

I'd budget boost it an run smaller tires for now and then go big later after collecting the parts. Get the RE shackles as they can be re-used in the kit and I'm sure someone on here has some Teraflex spring spacers. You can run 30's or 31's with those. There's some used 31's for sale in "forsale" I gave 200 for my 31's ran them for almost a year then sold them for 200 when I went to the 33's.

What axle does it have outback anyway? Rawbrown has a complete D44 that he's wanting to get rid of.

Last edited:
It's not the gears I'm concerned with, it's the axle. Yes you can run 3.55's with 33's, performance isn't the best, but it will work. You're going to wonder why you didn't regear sooner when you do get them in. :)

I'm more concerned with him breaking an axle shaft by going to too big of a tire on a D35 or 27 spline 8.25. He's looking at 32's and he should take it easy on those. What he should really do is sell that blingy lift to me for 2k and then he'd have enough to do everything. :)

The thing I hated the most was having to drop in and out of over drive when going up and overpass. 4:56 makes it feel like the old jeep.

I'd budget boost it an run smaller tires for now and then go big later after collecting the parts. Get the RE shackles as they can be re-used in the kit and I'm sure someone on here has some Teraflex spring spacers. You can run 30's or 31's with those. There's some used 31's for sale in "forsale" I gave 200 for my 31's ran them for almost a year then sold them for 200 when I went to the 33's.

What axle does it have outback anyway? Rawbrown has a complete D44 that he's wanting to get rid of.

How much will it cost to just re gear for the 33" tires?

How much will it cost to just re gear for the 33" tires?

Labor $250-500 per axle, depending on your area.

Parts: Detroit lockers about $500, ARB lockers about $900. Not a big market for used lockers, but they are available.

Gears: New... $200 per axle, used... $100 per.

BTW... Chrysler engineered the Cherokee to drive around on 27" tires. If anybody thinks they can slap 33" tires on one and it's going to exhibit the same performance, I'd like to get some of whatever they are smoking.

Your first move should not be to run out an buy parts. You first move should be to decide what you want to do with your Jeep. If you're going to spend more time camping and fishing than rock crawling, your rig should be built differently. If you plan on frequently traveling alone you should have a winch for safety. I *ALWAYS* travel with friends and I know the limits of my rig and my pucker. I don't need a winch, just a snatch strap and a tug from another rig.

And you don't need 33" nor even 32" tires for camping. 31s will be fine. I ran 90% of all the trails in California on a 3" lift, 30" tires, a Detroit Truetrac in the rear and an open front for two years before I bought used springs and Rubicon MT/R 31" take-offs and stepped up to a 4.5" lift.

Look here to identify your rear axle. Your front axle is a Dana 30. If you have a 6 cylinder 4.0L engine, you have 3:55 gears.

What year is your Jeep?

Last edited:
So would a 4.5" lift on 32 x 10.5 give me better chances?

Here's a better idea. Install your lift first... then go shopping for tires. Only then will you know exactly what will fit.

All other things being equal, the difference between a 33 x 12.50 and a 32 x 11.50 tire is a half inch of clearance under the pumpkins, and a bit more traction in mud, sand and snow. If that extra 1" of wheelbase really really matters, then maybe one needs to reconsider trying to climb the Gate Keeper on Lower Doran.

Wrong... Ironically, my mileage stayed about the same, if not slightly better with 33's over the 30's... I cruise at a happy 1700 rpm @ 70mph :D

How long have you run your Jeep in that configuration?

I don't know how much different a 99 is from a 96 in the fender well department.

I run 31's and 32's on a 4.5 lift. My 32 rub on hard turns and w/ articulation when it is slightly turned. I can completely stuff my 31's on factory rims. With 31's on steels I had to bump stop to keep it from getting into the fenders...I'm not ready to cut mine up yet.

I would think if he's going to be MILD... 31's would be fine and they're easier to find and a larger selection.

32's 15x10
8a2ec4e3.jpg

31's stock wheels
100_1453-2.jpg

31's on 15x8 3.75BS???
100_1556.jpg

Sorry, not hardcore but like to have fun.
If you're not going to be offroad alot... mt's are a waste and an agressive AT would last longer and actually cost less.

because i dont want to ever go higher than 4.5". 3.5" leafs + shackle will ride better than 4.5" leafs. and i get the SF ADJ CA's. so the only difference is ride height and the lack of drop brackets.

I said the exact same thing. I will *NEVER* go bigger than 4.5", 32x11.5's ..4.10's and some rock rails, and I would be done. No matter no how, no more than that. Period. Absolutely. Done. And I was right there too.. Added a good bumper with a tire carrier, 4.56 and a rear locker .. things were solid.

And then I met Paul S. :)

Never say 'ever'. :) Some bastard will give you a cheap set of 35's and its all downhill from there. The next thing you know you're out in the garage at midnight looking at a mix of stroker and hydro steering parts while repairing your second winch in 5 years, shoving the 4:1 transfercase further over on the bench to make room and wishing you hadn't run out of gas to weld with.

Not to beat up on Andy, because he is correct, but let's balance this out a bit.

Thank you.

Really what do you need to go off road? He already has it! A functional XJ. Will it be the best rock, mud, mall rig? No, but it is very capable out of the box, so to speak.
It is. All it really needs is AT or MT tires and rocker protection. Anything else. EVERYTHING else is really just gilding.

What does he REALLY need? He needs a winch because everyone gets stuck, and he needs a locker.
True, everybody gets stuck, but not everybody needs a winch to get unstuck. Most of the time all you need is a tug and a strap. I'm of the firm belief that off roading is a group sport. If my truck fails for any reason, I'm in no shape to hike out of anywhere, so I always travel with friends. Your Mileage May Vary.

On the other hand, if you like to travel alone, I think a winch with all the associated recovery accessories and a pull pal are essential. YMMV.

All that other stuff is neat and cool and gives you MORE capability, but like someone else asked... What are you planing on doing with your XJ?
Yeah... that was me. Determining what you want to do with your heep is the first question. One needs to first answer that before seeking advice. And quite frankly, anybody offering up advice or telling you what kit or what parts to buy without knowing why you want to lift your rig and what you want to do with it is acting prematurely.

Last edited:
Don't regear a d35... Just don't. Buy a better axle.

If somebody who only wanted to to go fishing or camping was asking what to do with a D35, that might not be the best advice. Sure... most of us consider any sort of upgrading to a D35 as polishing a turd, but if the the user only wants to run slowly on flat dirt, on stock size tires to reach an out of the way fishing hole, is suggesting a Super 35 kit or even a lunch box locker such terrible advice?

One really needs context before offering wisdom.

Last edited:
If somebody who only wanted to to go fishing or camping was asking what to do with a D35, that might not be the best advice. Sure... most of us consider any sort of upgrading to a D35 as polishing a turd, but the the user only wants to run slowly on flat dirt, on stock size tires to reach an out of the way fishing hole, is suggesting a Super 35 kit or even a lunch box locker such terrible advice?

One really needs context before offering your own wisdom.

Yes, it really his terrible advice. I broke my d35 on a dirt road, with stock gears, open, and 32's. I would probably drive on the highway or maybe a dirt road on stock tires with one, but i would not nor would i advise locking one or going bigger than maybe 30's.

This is one case where I have to agree with the hype. There is no room for a d35 in the modified world, even with a 'super35' kit (which only addresses weak shafts, nothing else about that pile of crap).

Yes, it really his terrible advice. I broke my d35 on a dirt road, with stock gears, open, and 32's. I would probably drive on the highway or maybe a dirt road on stock tires with one, but i would not nor would i advise locking one or going bigger than maybe 30's.

This is one case where I have to agree with the hype. There is no room for a d35 in the modified world, even with a 'super35' kit (which only addresses weak shafts, nothing else about that pile of crap).
my buddy has a 88 with a d35c on 31s, he snapped the passenger side shaft climbing the curb in front of his house to get on his lawn to wash the jeep. :eyes:

Yeah, but you said 32s and I was talking about stock tires. However, I forgot one thing, somebody who is camping and fishing might likely carry a lot more weight than the rig was really designed to carry. Recipe for disaster. You may be right Cal, there's no good reason to upgrade a 35.

Yeah, but you said 32s and I was talking about stock tires. However, I forgot one thing, somebody who is camping and fishing might likely carry a lot more weight than the rig was really designed to carry. Recipe for disaster. You may be right Cal, there's no good reason to upgrade a 35.

Cracker had a customer not show up to pick up some product last year. The guy didnt show because he hit a pothole on the 405 and broke a shaft on his stock TJ's d35.

A pothole. On the highway. Its that lousy.

Wont that look silly 4.5" lift on 31" tires My jeep is bone stock right now and it came with 30" tires already

Back