• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil filter

Floyd, when was it that you were doing that job? Is it possible that Fram quality had declined since then? Fram would hardly be the first company to rely on past reputation to substitute for present quality.

I think the bottom line is that Fram filters will probably not fail, and probably provide adequate filtration for a normal change interval and normal use, but given the small additional cost required to exceed minimal standards, why not do so?

Even the XJ drainback issue is probably not going to affect many people. After all, we're driving a ~300 thousand mile engine. Most of the people using these things will never notice if its life is cut in half.

I could drink instant coffee every morning too, and I wouldn't die, but I don't recommend it either.

Matthew, you make some very good points. I am fairly certain their quality has declined. Especially in the last few years. Maybe their upgrade is on the outside and downgrade is on the inside.

That is a very real possibility, cruiser, I should have thought of that. My expericence was in the mid 80's to early 90's. And many products certainly have gotten 'cheapened'. It's just always baffled me when I read about issues with fram when I think about the large number of them I used and the two other "drive up and drive through" oil changing shops in town also used them, and yet I've never actually seen one fail or known of an engine that failed because of inadequate filtration.

Of course filtration is relative. Surely I'm not the only one here who once drove VW's with no filter but a flyscreen in the bottom. My first Peugeot had a big canister with a permanent copper screen filter. Wash in gasoline, wipe out the can, put back. The cheesiest Fram ever made would have been like rocket science on these things.

Of course filtration is relative. Surely I'm not the only one here who once drove VW's with no filter but a flyscreen in the bottom. My first Peugeot had a big canister with a permanent copper screen filter. Wash in gasoline, wipe out the can, put back. The cheesiest Fram ever made would have been like rocket science on these things.

The oil change intervals were closer together back then, too.

Does anyone have a GUESS on how many fram filters wal mart sold just last MONTH? Yes, LAST MONTH......
I dont run Fram, I use what I feel is better just like my oil and my K&N filters.....

IK&N outsells all other aftermarket filters... not one... YES not one time has ANYONE been able to prove that their K&N took out their mass air flow sensor. K&N even guarantees it

I don't see how sales and being the top selling filter means anything. Just because millions of people buy the filter means nothing at all. They can still fail in high numbers and the people buying these filters will never know that is is what caused the problem.

For some people changing their own oil is the biggest project they will ever do to the car. They change the oil and run fram filters for years likely with no oil pressure gauges or thought to monitor the pressure. Then, they have an engine failure and take it to a shop and get sold on an engine rebuild. Why would the shop care or try to point out the cause of the failure.

holy moly ! didnt think I would start so much commotion , for that I appoligize for being ignorant to the facts on fram , now after reading all these comments on the issue I will be stopping at my local Napa store to get more out of the Jeep cause i sure dont plan on getting rid of this one soon. thanks to all for the "schooling " ! definatly appreciate the info .

See post # 17 to see how this applies more to our Jeeps than most vehicles.
again see post #17
This is precisely the reason to use a "quality" filter in the 4.0L
Fram does not equal quality which should be obvious by their hard marketing campaign.
Same with Penzoil.
Basically Fram filters are for people who don't know any better or don't care.

I just picked up 5 NAPA Golds on friday for our weekend family oil changes on all the jeeps. Parts guy said that the gold is getting upgraded, wix who makes them, has an even better filter on the way.

Back