• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil filter

Frams are notorious for cheap materials, thin canister, fewer pleats and a cardboard drainback valve. If you search around you may find a site or two in which someone has opened the filters up and observed their contents. I did so some time ago, and the difference is significant. Fram filters may be technically adequate, but other filters conspicuously have more pleats, thicker filter media, and heavier casings.

Given the small cost for a premium filter, I see no reason not to get the best. Wix isn't that expensive, for instance.

. If you search around you may find a site or two in which someone has opened the filters up and observed their contents.

Given the small cost for a premium filter, I see no reason not to get the best. Wix isn't that expensive, for instance.

If you happen to go to a NAPA store they have (at least our NAPA has had for a few years) a display with a Fram and a NAPA Gold (aka Wix) cut open, side by side.

The Fram filter looks like a "Playskool" filter up against the NAPA filter. I think the price difference is about $3, maybe less.

If you happen to go to a NAPA store they have (at least our NAPA has had for a few years) a display with a Fram and a NAPA Gold (aka Wix) cut open, side by side.

The Fram filter looks like a "Playskool" filter up against the NAPA filter. I think the price difference is about $3, maybe less.
One of our local Volvo dealers has a similar display. Interestingly, it shows three filters: Volvo, Wix and Fram. The Volvo and Wix are pretty obviously equivalent, and the Fram, as you put it, looks like the Playskool version.

I've seen multiple Fram filters cause extreme oil pressure problems on 4.0Ls to the point of ruining the engine.

I've seen thousands of Fram filters run on cars that have went hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems. Imagine that!

Hey now floyd, calm down.

Is it possible for a vehicle to use a cheap crap filter and do ok for over a hundred thousand miles? Yes. Does that make it a good idea? Absolutely not.

Also, what the hell do you do that allows you to observe thousands of Fram filters on cars for hundreds of thousands of miles? :shocked:

:bs:

You may notice that I specified the 4.0L engine filter. I have not seen the same problem on other vehicles.

I've seen thousands of Fram filters run on cars that have went hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems. Imagine that!

i thought the same thing until i had one fail on me. saw the oil pressure gauge hit 0 and the motor started knocking. luckily i noticed it fast and pulled over and swapped it out- was on my way to go wheeling, so got in my buddy's truck and got a new filter. sure enough the fram's cardboard elements collapsed. i only use wix purolator ultra or mobil 1 oil filters now.

I've herd of tons of people who never changed the oil in their car for the entire time they owned it. Doesn't mean I want to take the same chance just to use a particular filter. I would rather hedge my bets and not use a Fram. Using a Fram filter gains me nothing and I've never understood the fierce loyalty people have with them. It is like certain people use Fram just to defy the people who say they are poor filters.

Of course, use what you want it doesn't effect me.

Not all vehicles have their oil filters mounted upside down or on their side like our Jeeps, requiring a very high quality anti-drainback valve. Fram doesn't have a high quality anti-drainback valve like a Wix or Napa Gold. Therefore, Fram filters can give a vehicle daily "dry starts" as the oil filter is empty, contributing to bearing damage over the life of the vehicle.

That's just one problem with Fram. They're also known for coming apart internally and causing other oil pressure problems.

you guys are joking about the grit-grip right? i thought everyone had filter wrench's? (ive got multiple, but prefer the cap-style)

Using a Fram filter gains me nothing and I've never understood the fierce loyalty people have with them. It is like certain people use Fram just to defy the people who say they are poor filters.

Of course, use what you want it doesn't effect me.

well said!

When I was in college (and for a few years after) I worked at Penske Auto. We did dozens of oil changes every day, had hundreds of repeat customers, and used nothing but the orange Fram filters. The point of my post was not to suggest Fram was the best filter on the market. It was to show that Fram filters are adequate for a daily driver. They wouldn't be one of the top selling filters if they were blowing up, destroying engines, all these things people post on websites like this but never show any evidence for other than saying "they are known for this", blah blah blah.

That said, I do not use Fram myself, and wasn't attempting to "sell" them to anyone. Just saying that all the bad press they seem to get didn't ever show up in the environment I worked in.

Hey now Milford, I'm one of the calmest people you would ever meet. Don't get your panties all bound up.

Back