• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No gauges, no radio, weird smell in cabin.

KevLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
So i was driving the XJ last night and I was just thinking how glad I was that I had put so much time and money into it and how nice it is when everything works. My victory was short lived. The horn starting going crazy by itself the other day so i pulled the fuse for the horn on the kick panel fuse box. Everything else seemed to work great, who needs a horn? It's been about two weeks since then. No problems. I came out this morning though and I opened the door to smell something weird. :flamemad: It smells like burnt hair doused in old brake fluid or something. It's nasty smelling. No good way to describe it. The truck starts and runs just fine but I have no radio, no interior lights and no gauges. The smell worries the hell out of me so I borrowed my Dad's truck to get to work and disconnected the battery from the Jeep so it doesn't go :flame:. The radio setup is stock.

Couple of things. I have recently replaced the headliner and I have heard of things shorting out as a result of wires not being put back correctly? I also have a fan switch that only works in 2 positions and I have heard of the plugs for the fan switch shorting out and burning up? I haven't had a chance to even check for blown fuses yet. What kinds of things should I check on first when I get home? has anyone had a similar issue?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Some technical details: 97 Cherokee Sport, I6 4.0, 4x4, Tow Package

Last edited:
Is it an automatic or manual tranny? If it is a manual, the fuse panel is situated directly behind and below the clutch M/C. Hasn't happened to me but I've heard of fuse boxes being dissolved by the hydraulic (brake) fluid leaking out of the clutch M/C. If it's an automatic, I suppose the brake M/C or booster could also develop a leak that would eat electronics. That just might smell like burning hair/brake fluid.

The most common "melt-ables" I've come across are ignition switch, headlight switch and HVAC controls connector. All 3 of these at one time have melted or partially melted in any of my Jeeps. The MJ they were all somewhat burnt or melted. The XJ just the headlight switch. My dad's old CJ also had a melted ignition switch.

All are fairly easy to check and/or replace.

Under the headliner wires: The dome light wiring is always hot. If the wire(s) are making contact with some other part, roof, supports it could be making extra heat. The adhesive, board and foam in the headliner might create the smell you're describing too.

On the early XJs when the clutch MC would fail and leak out the back the fluid would contaminate and ruin the fuse block.

However, I think on the later models the Power Center is under the hood and the fuse block in the cabin is in the passenger's side kick panel.

However, I am RENIX and suffer from Oldsheimers.

Back