• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEW GUY here + need some assistance!

PS. Skier, I believe I have just found my rear Dana 44!!!! Kinda pricy though, askin 400 for it!?!?! So, i guess in your face my friend!hahJk

Akira said:
PS. Skier, I believe I have just found my rear Dana 44!!!! Kinda pricy though, askin 400 for it!?!?! So, i guess in your face my friend!hahJk

is it an xj 44? I'm going the 8.8 route when I get the time and $$

Hey welcome Akira!

Something else to add to your list: Slip yoke eliminator. You can usually get a package deal (custom made driveshaft/SYE kit) through Tom Wood's custom driveshafts. You'll need it if you're planning on lifting your Jeep that high. There are cheaper ways to do it too. Search in the mod tech section, and check out the FAQ stickies at the top. Good luck, and have fun!

Jeremy

Welcome dude! $400 for an XJD44 is about right. But, for that price, get an 8.8. The shop I work at has 2, brackets already cut off and ground down. Give Avanteone(John) of Auburn Car Repair a PM, or a call at 253-939-5019. He can also get you the RE lift, if you dont already have it.

If you need anything installed, it can be done there too.

CanMan said:
Welcome dude! $400 for an XJD44 is about right. But, for that price, get an 8.8. The shop I work at has 2, brackets already cut off and ground down. Give Avanteone(John) of Auburn Car Repair a PM, or a call at 253-939-5019. He can also get you the RE lift, if you dont already have it.

If you need anything installed, it can be done there too.

Matt? is that you?

:D :D :D

J/K
Hope your having fun at your new job Eli. I need to hook up with you to FINALLY do the powertrax.

The JU is practically oozing from this thread. :)

1. Lift is a good start.

2. Get an 8.8 and regear before you go to 35's. I ran 33's and 3.07 gears for a while and it was akin to hell on earth. Ate up a clutch and a starter, too. Ask Wa_XJ Skier about it, he knows how bad it is.

3. You could do worse than the baja claws, but there are also a lot of tires out that are better suited to NW trails. IMHO.

4. Though I already mentioned gearing, I'd go deeper than 4.88. That's what I'm running on 34's and wish I'd gone for 5.13s. Oh, wait; do they make 5.13's for a D30?

5. Skip the Bushwackers...they'll either fall off or get ripped off, and we'll never stop teasing you about them. And they cost a lot.

6. I really dig my Flowmaster 40. I get a lot of compliments about it (one guy even asked me how I put a V-8 in a Cherokee) and I noticed a slight improvement in performance. Here are a couple videos where you can hear my exhaust:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1727496521946818271

http://www.pnwjeep.net/video/MattPotatoSaladSmall.wmv

-----Matt-----

Akira said:
4SURE!!! It's a 1992 Laredo, 4 door 5 speed.

My plans

1st. 5.5 RE 6200 kit
2nd . Rear Dana 44
3rd. 35'sx12.50 baja claw - with some locking wheels (Not sure yet)
4th. Gearing most likely 4.88's
5th. Bushwacker FF
6th. Exhaust, but not sure so could use some good advice on what both preforms good and sounds good! (DEEP and MEATY) you guys know bout it!ha

7th. KICKING ASS & TAKIN" NAMES

Welcome to the group!!
A couple of pieces of advice (not trying to be an A$$ but I am going to come across that way anyway) Slow down!! Search the tech forums and READ everything you can, then do it again, and again, and again. We here are more than happy to help how we each can if you can ask questions instead of telling us what you are doing we are more likely to want to help;)

Yes, what Matt said, lots of JU ooooozing from this tread so far.

1. Good lift, lots of other mods will be required (are you ready for the time and money?) including SYE, Wheels, Tires, Gears, TAD's? Steering?

2. Either a D44 or a 8.8 are both great options.

3. Claws are not a great choice for the NW, they are ok at dry hill climbs but that's about it.

4. At least 4.88's (the most you can do in a D30) 5.13's would be even better (need a D44 or larger to get them).

5. They look great on the road, they will get damaged beyond repair on the trails around here.

6. Ask others, I am not shure there is that much difference between any of them, I am more concerned with it holding up to the rocks.

7. We will see about that, time will tell;)

Welcome,
Michael

IXNAYXJ said:
2. Get an 8.8 and regear before you go to 35's. I ran 33's and 3.07 gears for a while and it was akin to hell on earth. Ate up a clutch and a starter, too. Ask Wa_XJ Skier about it, he knows how bad it is.

32s and 3.07 was bad on the trail. On the road it wasn't too bad (I was only running on 5 cylinders for those 2 months) I didn't have 5th gear and 4th was a chore. When I moved to my 4.10s I stopped having to fill my tank every 4 days. My last two tanks have gone 8-10. moral of story
gears = good
no gears = bad

2xtreme said:
Slow down!! Search the tech forums and READ everything you can, then do it again, and again, and again. We here are more than happy to help how we each can if you can ask questions instead of telling us what you are doing we are more likely to want to help;)

x2, i had a 92 xj that i bought lifted thinking it was the coolest thing ever then i started reading and learning. my xj wasn't that cool. i was going to spend alot of money getting better parts or redoing things the right way, then it was stolen. i bought another xj and read and saved for a 1 1/2 years before i did anything to it and i think for what i have spent i have a good rig.

noutlawjeeper said:
x2, i had a 92 xj that i bought lifted thinking it was the coolest thing ever then i started reading and learning. my xj wasn't that cool. i was going to spend alot of money getting better parts or redoing things the right way, then it was stolen. i bought another xj and read and saved for a 1 1/2 years before i did anything to it and i think for what i have spent i have a good rig.

and you still didn't get tow points:flame:

When you go 8.8 get the Superior kit. JPFREEK nor CRAWL magazine hasn't covered it yet, but Peterson's 4 Wheel & Offroad did a writeup a year ago now.;) It turns it semi floater and pushes the WMS out. All sorts of sexiness.

If you've already got the tires, run them. I do and love it. I only get stuck when I high center.

When you gear it, keep in mind what you'll be doing most with it. Highway, stick with decent gears, city/traffic/wheeling go 4.88's. I run 4.88's w/33's on my trail only rig and I'm great. I run 3.73's w/31's on my DD and it's geared too low. MPG sucks ass above 55. I'd recommend rolling shotgun or driver in a few rigs before you commit to anything.

Best of luck,
Paul

mud1059 said:
I run 3.73's w/31's on my DD and it's geared too low.

DD a stick?

noutlawjeeper said:
hey, you shut your mouth! it all worked out!

I didn't see Joe dare the goal post trees at Tahuya.....

WOW, thanks guys for all your input! Really helps!

Think I'm gonna stick with the 4.88's, sounds like the best gears for all uses and thats pretty much what the plan is...
Also, II'm not at all knowledgable of the 8.8 axle. I was informed that the Dana 44 is pretty much the only way to go! Can I get some more info that??? Where can I get one, how much should I expect to drop for one etc etc....

Thanks,
Chris

O yea, so for the 5.5 RE6200
I've gone to 4x4Groupbuy.com and from what I've seen and comparing to others, they got the best deal!!!!

RE 6200 kit 1499.99 +200.00 shipping but, that kit includes both an SYE kit as well as a Tom Woods DS. Thats the BEST price I've seen for an RE 5.5 kit!!!

8.8's came in the Explorers in the 90's give or take. The 95's and up came with disc brakes. There's people parting them out all over craigslist for fairly cheap, anywhere from $50 for the drum ones on up to $400. I'd hold out to find a disc brakes one for $200-250 unless you've got the cash to blow.
examples:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/pts/379324391.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/pts/380208203.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/382649118.html

Keep in mind, these aren't a direct fit. The Superior kits are something like $500 just to get the 8.8 equivelant to the D44.
On another note, KarlVP has a damn good philosophy going in the den. Get a winch and a good front bumper first. It'll get you through more obstacles than any lift/tire/gear/locker combination you can come up with.

More food for thought!

Last edited:
Back