• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some welding/fab help...

Honestly?....I would love to step up to 35's......but not yet.....
1.) I dont QUITE have the lift for 35's....
2.) I Definitely dont have the axles.
3.) I most CERTAINLY dont have the gearing,
4.) And Walker Evans Beadlocks are gonna be about 1k more than I wanna spend right now.

But tell ya what......I like y'all so much, I let you buy them for me!
In all seriousness, here's the direction I'm leaning towards......
(right now - just like the weather here, wait five min and it'll change)

Ever since the Jeep got retired to toy status, I have been toying around with the idea of going with some steelies.
I'm really on the fence with that whole thing right now anyways, as most of the steel wheels out there are black.
IF I WERE to go with steel wheels.... I have always had a soft spot for the Crager V-5 style.
Since I have a black Jeep...the black wheels (like the standard "Soft-8" style) have never looked quite right to me....too much black on a black Jeep.....
The V-5's though...in their "Silver" finish (color matches the Eco-5 and/or the Ravines color pretty close, look perfect...they provide a nice contrast.

9051.jpg

And they just look plain MEAN with some big meat on them!
100_8948.jpg

The above picture (second) is from a write up HERE ON NAXJA where a guy took these wheels and modified them to accept an OEM center cap
(eliminating the large bulgy plastic chrome one that they come with)
100_8969.jpg

I really like the look of that, and If I were to ever go this route, I would highly consider doing the same thing.... I would also weld on some wheel protectors or "rim stiffeners"....something KIND OF like these:
IMG_1117.jpg

Or more like THESE:
P1000386.jpg

But most likely and probably something like THESE:
Halfbuisness_020.jpg

The problem with all this?
The silver V5's are discontinued in the 15x8 variety.
....so back to square 1.

josh.... i know this guy, i think he does paint..... not shure, but last i checked. i dont think collor should be your issue man:conceited

theres alot of the 15" ford ranger factory wheels that are a 4" BS. worked well for the setup on my last xj.

Bronze.
OH I hear ya Jon,
"Beggars cant be choosers"
I will most likely end up settling for what I can get/afford...color be damned.
Thats why I sort of prefaced that whole post with "this is the direction I'm leaning towards...... right now - just like the weather here, wait five min and it'll change"

....and ended it with "Back to square 1"......

If I had my way, and we lived in a perfect world, I wouldn't worry about it.....
I could just get the black V5's that are still being made, strip them, and have them powder coated or sprayed or something.....
But as it stands.... "Function over form"...... That'll be the bottom line.

ohh dear god, its going to look like the nail salon soon isnt it :gee:.

LOL, well I dont know if it'll EVER be quite as pretty as the Nail Salon..... lol.

ill be interested to see what you com up with for a solution, i never even though about this problem.

Bronze.

Well thats cuz you got those anniversary edition 16" wheels dont ya?

UPDATE:
I took some official measurements of the wheels and spacers the other night:

The Ravines ARE INDEED a 5.50" back spacing.

My trusty-rusty square was at a bit of an angle and tilted, but you get the idea....

And as I was pretty sure on.....the spacers are a true 1.25"

So if my math is right (carry the one, divide by the square root of pie, add the two..... YUP!)...
I'm essentially sitting at equivalent of 4.25" back spacing.
So 3.75" BS on new wheels will be perfect, ....AND my options in that range are more vast than at the 3.5" I thought I was going to have to go with.

RuffStuff Panhard Kit finally arrived:

Now I just need to get it welded together, and welded on the Jeep......

I can weld it for you. Aaron can vouch for me. Lol

Sweet!
I have the Tread Lightly Tread Trainer Course to do tomorrow (sunday) so maybe after that, or perhaps one evening during the week.
Thanks.

Back