• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar for High Steer?

GraniteCow

NAXJA Forum User
What track bar setups are people running with highsteer/crossover steering? I'm getting ready to swap in a waggy D44 with flat top knuckles and I'm trying to figure out if the only way to set up the track bar is to fab one over the axle and inboard from the passenger coil spring (shorter than stock).

Most people fab up their own. I don't think you'll find an off the shelf item.

I use PartsMike in Northern California for my custom track bars and drag link/tie rod.

I give them the size I need and they will custom fab and thread the material and then ship it out.

They sell tie rod ends and Johnny Joints, whatever you need for any steering or track bar setup. Highly recommend.

I went with OTK trackbars on my two XJs with WJ Big brakes and cross over steering. I used a Rusty's on the first one. I used Stinky Fabs brackets and Trackbar brace on the next. The actual trackbar was fabbed up. I did plan on using RE bracket and trackbar brace. The axle bracket from Ironman wasn't playing well with my setup. I wanted something a bit beefier than Rusty's. STF is definitely beefy.
I do have a Waggy front axle that will go in my MJ. Its passenger drop. I had the DS drop setup from Barnes put on it. Their axle bracket didn't go well with their setup being flopped. I'll be using Ironman's OTK trackbar on that setup.

There is always this trackbar mounting option......Ultra4 approved.

2012-01-22_21-23-08_289.jpg

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1075100&page=33

Last edited:
As already stated, your frame side bracket will determine your axle side height but the length is controllable.

Post a pic of where your at on the axle now and some better suggestions will follow!

You've got so far to go, I would say you need to get those tubes cut and your inner c's on before you could even come up with a design. I would start with some very basic spring buckets and try to build you control arm mounts, axle truss, and trackbar mount all in 1 unified structure!

You've got so far to go, I would say you need to get those tubes cut and your inner c's on before you could even come up with a design. I would start with some very basic spring buckets and try to build you control arm mounts, axle truss, and trackbar mount all in 1 unified structure!

Way ahead of you. I ground a Barnes waggy/XJ truss to fit a HP f250 D44. I have some generic tracbar brackets coming Monday. I picked up some 1.5” DOM and Johnny Joints at a local fab shop. Planning to swap the rear Saturday morning and start on the front that afternoon.

ySVhINs

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Get that under the xj so you can set your pinion angle and get those c's welded on. Once you get the knuckles and steering on you will see what you've got to work with. Great job so far!

IMO if you're going to build it from ground-zero, like you are, its worth doing everything in your power to get steering/track bar dialed.

Steps to get the axle placed (assuming you're not moving the steering box):

-Match your pitman arm length (throw, not drop) to your steering arm to get full range of steering travel. Also a good time to get the drag link as flat as you can at ride height (via drop pitman arm).

-Place axle such that the drag link is parallel to the axle. This should set your wheelbase. Doesn't have to be perfect, but getting this close will keep your ensure your steering is the same left and right.

-Place your coil buckets directly under the coil towers/bump stops at full bump. These may need to be offset forward/backward from the axle tube.

With the drag link and coils in place, you'll now see exactly how much room you have for your track bar. Definitely important to keep it parallel, but length is also important, and its a good idea to keep it close to the same height from the ground and generally centered with the drag link, but that's not too important and it could be argued keeping the track bar as high as possible is good because it keeps your roll center high and will reduce body roll.

I've seen a few examples of people mounting the axle side of the track bar on the inner C, which is a pretty cool solution. Keeps the pivots of the track bar as close to the drag link as possible which is ideal for reducing bump steer/flex steer under extreme conditions.

Most people seem to mount the track bar inside the passenger coil, and some go through the effort of extending the frame-side trackbar mount as far out as possible to minimize the length difference. This has worked out great for many people, but is a bit less elegant of a solution. Makes it tough to run a sway bar if you do that too.

Gonna be tough to tell until you get everything mocked up and start seeing the clearance yourself. FWIW, I haven't done this myself. Just been researching it for like 10 years while wheeling my junk with a poor setup. Got an axle on jack stands in the garage right now that will hopefully be under my rig come spring.

Back