• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New DIY Bedliner better than Herculiner!

no I don't, it looks just like line-x (nice pebbly texture) but goes on thinner (16th of an inch raised on the bed rails hitting them twice using the four liter kit) and is kinda hard like Line-x. it's not all rubbery like Rhino liner is. I'd love to get the company to spring for Rhino or Line-x in one of our pickups so I could compare Herc and Raptor to them fairly.

FWIW I am not as excited about this stuff as I was at first. I have it in a Chevy, and I have Herculiner in a Dodge... The Raptor liner has torn just like the Herc has. On sharper raised edges which regularly see palletized stone/brick and the root balls of trees which are burlap reinforced with a wire basket. the Wire tears everything off that we've tried including factory paint.

In all fairness I did minimal prep just cleaner degreaser and a 60 grit flap wheel on a grinder) with no adhesion promoter, and I could have spent more time roughing up the factory paint.

Also I'm pretty sure even Rhino liner (the most rubbery of them all) and line-x (the hardest) would get torn off under this kind of abuse...

please do not compare line x to your cheap inexpensive ideas although they might be a good alternative to your type of application nothing else on the market will compare to line x quality and every one knows quality costs and id rather pay

obxtuf said:
please do not compare line x to your cheap inexpensive ideas although they might be a good alternative to your type of application nothing else on the market will compare to line x quality and every one knows quality costs and id rather pay

I'll compare anything I damn well want to any other thing I damn well please.

How do you know nothing else will compare to Line-x? You're unwilling to compare anything to it so all you know about it is what they tell you to believe.
Feel free to blindly accept Line-X advertizing lastara if you want, but don't presume to tell me I have to be accept it without question.

Frankly from what I've seen Line-X is inferior to Rhino liner, both products are basically the same chemicals (Urethane) as Herc and many other bed liners, just with heated aplication equipment (for a heavier coating that cures much faster). The only substantial differences are the quantity of chemicals, the type and amount of hardeners and the profit some guy is making off you while his pimply faced employee sprays it on.

im saying this because I have sprayed rhino, I have used herculiner on my trailer and I spray line X I know what junk is on the market that people try to compare to line x does your product dry in five to ten seconds.and able to use it that day. when you lay it out is it even and with lineX you dont have to layer like herculiner,also linex isnt so hard like plastic that it will crack and peel other products have a drying time and if you call about the product or even look at it online you will clearly see that nothing come close to line x check for your self mr know all. im sure this european product works for what your little pockets can afford but hey your entitled to buy junk, its your right.

Well, that explains the obvious bias then.

The whole point was to post about an alternative to a professionally done spray-in liner that costs 1/5th as much and seemed reasonebly durable. I don't recall anyone saying it was as good at Line-X, just better than herculiner. Personally, I can't justify a $500 LineX job on my truck with a $1500 bluebook, but I might be tempted to try something that costs $80 and the info posted has been helpful.

Yea, but what's the warrenty??

Being a Line-X dealer, I can tell you. You will not get a no hassle warrenty from any DIY kits.. We do out of state deals on a regular basis.. Also, if you ever have any issues with the Line-X liner it's coverd at any dealer in any state.. Excellent service and the company stands behind thier products..
I guess it boils down to the old saying, you get what you pay for..

Happy Holidays
Dave

obxtuf said:
im saying this because I have sprayed rhino, I have used herculiner on my trailer and I spray line X I know what junk is on the market that people try to compare to line x does your product dry in five to ten seconds.and able to use it that day. when you lay it out is it even and with lineX you dont have to layer like herculiner,also linex isnt so hard like plastic that it will crack and peel other products have a drying time and if you call about the product or even look at it online you will clearly see that nothing come close to line x check for your self mr know all. im sure this european product works for what your little pockets can afford but hey your entitled to buy junk, its your right.

Okay A) I don't have a product, so get that straight B) You haven't got a clue what I can afford this is a COMPANY that pulled several million in total revenue trying alternatives to expensive spray in liners for work trucks.
I'm reporting what we found here to try and help people who are interested alternatives and also aren't advertizment worshiping sheeple who don't _want_ to know about anything that costs a tiny fraction of the price that may have comparable performance.

BTW the owner of this company has Rhino in his F250, it has a few chunks and gouges and lots of roughed up area's and the heaviest thing it's seen on it is a 150 pound Marine deep cycle and the odd tool or wood working projects slid over it. I'd love to find out how it performs with a 2,000 pound pallet of stone scrapped into it. But he isn't interested in finding out despite the warrentee he has.

Line-X and Rhino are certainly more durable than any alternative I've seen so far, but that's relative, more durable than 80 dollar DIY? Yeah 5 times more durable, for 5 times higher price? No not even close... In my opinion twice as durable would be pushing it. Though I don't have any direct comparisons... yet.

AZXJ said:
Yea, but what's the warrenty??

Being a Line-X dealer, I can tell you. You will not get a no hassle warrenty from any DIY kits.. We do out of state deals on a regular basis.. Also, if you ever have any issues with the Line-X liner it's coverd at any dealer in any state.. Excellent service and the company stands behind thier products..
I guess it boils down to the old saying, you get what you pay for..

Happy Holidays
Dave

The warrenty is we could re-do the Herc OR the Raptor liner 5 times and it would still be less expensive than a $500 spray in liner :)

Seriously if you want the most durable money can buy with a warrenty go for Rhino or Line-x but then why bother reading a DIY bed liner thread?
You guys realize you're pimping this stuff in a Cherokee forum full of guys with $2000 and $3000 dollar SUV's right?

Simon 88YJ94XJ said:
You guys realize you're pimping this stuff in a Cherokee forum full of guys with $2000 and $3000 dollar SUV's right?

Who has a $3000 SUV? We put more time and money into our rigs than you think.:D There may be some guys here with super low-buck rigs, but you aren't one of them...Judging by your specs.

A lot of us own tow rigs and work trucks also...

passxj said:
Who has a $3000 SUV? We put more time and money into our rigs than you think.:D There may be some guys here with super low-buck rigs, but you aren't one of them...Judging by your specs.

A lot of us own tow rigs and work trucks also...

We all have a lot more invested in our rigs than we'll ever get if we sell them... I'm just being realistic everyone knows (even if they don't want to think about it) that built rigs go for pennys on the dollar.

I am a long time Line-X user and I can't say I haven't been happy with the product. It really has met my expectations. Line-X and Rhino aren't exactly the same product. Rhino seems to be the softer of the two products, which when used in a bed of a truck means things tend to stay put. Whereas in a Line-X sprayed bed they tend to slide around because of the hardness of the product. Now obviously I am talking about light things, not 2000 lb pallets.

Because of this softer material Rhino is more inclined to chunk and tear than Line-X is. Once again that is the trade off.

My Line-X dealer does a lot of utility trucks for our local electric company. Every time I go there it seems like I am getting squeezed between a couple of utility trucks. Now these trucks probably aren't being used to load 2000 pound skids so I doubt they would get torn up as quickly as in your environment. But they must last sufficiently as this has been an ongoing thing for the last seven years.

If Line-X isn't hard enough there are other cheaper knock-off's that are similar. I think one might be called Armorthane that would be cheaper to buy material from with similar performance characteristics. I attended a SEMA show in 05 and saw at least 8 Rhino/Line-X knock-offs (none of them were sprayed in a way that looked comparable to my Line-X, but looks obviously aren't an issue in your situation). One of them may offer the perfect compromise for your company.

Otherwise I really don't think the polyeurathane products are going to cut it, whether DIY or professional. My Line-X dealer has a different coating (non-Line-X) that is used in beds of dump trucks. I remember seeing a sample of it in their office and it was extremely hard, like a hard plastic or glass, the sample I saw was about .5" thick. I know it isn't cheap (at least that's what they told me at the time) but it maybe your best choice to do the coating once and be done. Unfortunately I don't know what the name of the product was, but I can PM the phone number of my dealer so you can get more information.

Good luck.

Simon 88YJ94XJ said:
The warrenty is we could re-do the Herc OR the Raptor liner 5 times and it would still be less expensive than a $500 spray in liner :)

Seriously if you want the most durable money can buy with a warrenty go for Rhino or Line-x but then why bother reading a DIY bed liner thread?

5 x 80 = 400 Hmm... Done right the first time with quality products would save you time and money.. I have two low buck Cherokee's, a $3500 dollar Fullsize axle swap MJ on 40's.. I know all about low buck rigs.. My comments are strictly to give input on the other side of the coin..

If your paying $500 bucks for some any liner to be applied to your rig your paying way too much.

Later
Dave

I know you are all going back and forth but I just have a question you are saying that you can buy 4 liters of the stuff for the same as a gallon of the other. If I am not mistaken 4 liters is just about a gallon :chef: So you are saying it is the same amount for the same price but better quality.

jls02 said:
I know you are all going back and forth but I just have a question you are saying that you can buy 4 liters of the stuff for the same as a gallon of the other. If I am not mistaken 4 liters is just about a gallon :chef: So you are saying it is the same amount for the same price but better quality.
I love the search functions here and occasionally find my self tempted to reply to threads that are really old before i notice the date on them. I am sure i have even done it once or twice. but what really impresses me is that you have shown the restraint to have only 6 posts since becoming a member in jul 2003. I can't imagine what it would take to shut my impulsive self up to average less than 2 posts per year. i need to contemplate this.

on topic though:
with two part curing type thing whether paint or epoxy or polyurethane it is desireable sometimes to have more smaller containers. less measuring / batch doesn't kick off in the pot/ catch fire in the pot/ that sort of thing.

like everything else. with good prep work i have been very happy with the knock off polyurethane bedliner i bought off ebay. it's not line-x, but it is tough, was cheap, and sprayed nicely out of the harbor freight textured ceiling gun.

Gravel Maker said:
But how much does it cost?

Are you ready!? Not $299.99..... not even $199.99.

You will get this amazing product for 4 easy installments of $39.99 AND we will throw in a free air freshener!!!

:yelclap:

Jeep914x4 said:
Are you ready!? Not $299.99..... not even $199.99.

You will get this amazing product for 4 easy installments of $39.99 AND we will throw in a free air freshener!!!

:yelclap:

....and call within the next 10 minutes and we will DOUBLE THE SIZE!

Simon 88YJ94XJ said:
We all have a lot more invested in our rigs than we'll ever get if we sell them... I'm just being realistic everyone knows (even if they don't want to think about it) that built rigs go for pennys on the dollar.

Depends on the buyer. I get what you're saying though. Most people are clueless. I'd never sell my rig anyway. Just keep replacing stuff and burning more metal onto her until she turns into one of those vehicles you saw in Mad Max.

Then when you drive by a herd of people heading for their Priuses (is that even a word?) at the mall, they can confirm that you were the Redneck covered in slag and oil stains afterall. ;)

Back