• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new XJ build, Comments/Opinions

I have a Master's Degree in Bio Chemical Engineering and I work for Shell Oil as a Senior Safety Inspector. Great job, great benefits and exceptional pay. Been here for 12 years now, love every minute of it.

Quick technical question guys, do I need a locker for both axles or rear only?

That would explain why you are dropping 12k into an XJ! Smart Man! :D

As for lockers I would go with a selectable rear and be good at that. With a selectable locker back there you won't notice it at all unless you hit the switch/lever!

Last edited:
Ok guys after lots of deliberating and taking all the advice from others into advisement I have decided on a tentative build list. Any advice on my update list would be appreciated.

Rubicon Express 4.5" Super Flex kit
(4) Rubicon Express Mono tube shocks
(5) Mickey Thompson Black Wheels
(5) Mickey Thompson 31x10.50 Baja MTZ's
Warn Front Bumper w/ Warm M8000 winch
Warn Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier
KargoMaster 52x60 Rack
Hella Black Magic Lighting Kit
Warn Rock Sliders
Warn Transfer Case Skid Plate
Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid Plate
Tomken Gas Tank Skid Plate
Rugged Ridge SYE kit
Tom Woods Drive Shaft
ARB Air Locker w/ on board Air Compressor
Arb Snorkel Kit
Borla Cat Back Exhaust
Removing the carpet and replacing with Rhinolining
Also Rhino Lining the exterior of the Jeep halfway up the doors.

With 31" tires what size gears should I be using? Those will be added to the list as well. As of now, the total is 8990.00

Does this sound like a more reasonable rig build???

Ok guys after lots of deliberating and taking all the advice from others into advisement I have decided on a tentative build list. Any advice on my update list would be appreciated.

Rubicon Express 4.5" Super Flex kit
(4) Rubicon Express Mono tube shocks
(5) Mickey Thompson Black Wheels
(5) Mickey Thompson 31x10.50 Baja MTZ'sYou should consider BFG KM2's
Warn Front Bumper w/ Warm M8000 winchCheckout JCRoffroad
Warn Rear Bumper w/ Tire CarrierJCR
KargoMaster 52x60 Rack
Hella Black Magic Lighting Kit
Warn Rock SlidersJCR
Warn Transfer Case Skid PlateJCR
Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid Platedon't think you need that unless you are rock crawling
Tomken Gas Tank Skid Plate
Rugged Ridge SYE kitAdvance Adapters
Tom Woods Drive Shaft
ARB Air Locker w/ on board Air Compressor
Arb Snorkel Kit
Borla Cat Back Exhaust
Removing the carpet and replacing with Rhinolining
Also Rhino Lining the exterior of the Jeep halfway up the doors.

With 31" tires what size gears should I be using?4.10's Those will be added to the list as well. As of now, the total is 8990.00

Does this sound like a more reasonable rig build???

Sounds OK but the warn skids and bumpers(even though I like them) and rails are way over priced! www.jcroffroad.com. I wouldn't be saying this if i didn't abuse the hell out of their sliders! and I am about to add a t-case skid and taillight housings to the list of abused items. As for gearing I would add an axle swap instead of gearing the existing axles. You could find a loaded set of axles ready to go for around 1000! It will cost you that alone in parts and labor on the gears.

4.10s will do fine for 31" tires. I second the mud terrains. Glad to see you tuned down your build list a little - sometimes less is more! This build sounds road friendly as well. Also make sure that RE 4.5 kit comes with an adjustable track bar - i can't remember if the 4.5 does or not.

As for gearing I would add an axle swap instead of gearing the existing axles. You could find a loaded set of axles ready to go for around 1000! It will cost you that alone in parts and labor on the gears.

I disagree on this point - if you go back to his first post this XJ only has 43K miles on it! I'd rather sink money into all new internals to compliment the low mileage axles, than take a gamble at buying someone's used junk with no history of how they were treated.

As has already been said on gearing, for 31's with the AW4 auto trans, 4:10's are perfect. Used to run that setup and it worked great.

Also, I would shop just a little more on bumpers. The Warn bumpers and sliders are nice, but they are expensive, not to mention bulky and heavy. Look into AJ's Armor, JCR Offroad, or Rigid bumpers and see what you think. Might save you a few bucks, not to mention a few pounds. Rest of the build list looks good. Everyone has an opinion on this brand or that, so take it all into consideration and just go with what you want.

Wow thanks for the advice on JCR, they have gorgeous bumpers and skids and are very well priced. Looking forward to getting some items from them soon.

the RE super flex is an awesome kit, and i beleive it comes with an adjustable track bar. mine did but it wouldnt hurt to double check. get a full leave pack, no AALs. ive run one for about a year now... the jeep is falling apart but the RE parts are indestructable. even with 31s you will rub at full flex and run on control arms, just be sure to bump properly. but with a 31 youll be able to use the stock spare location. ive pretty much limited myself to JKS and RE for my suspension needs, and JCR for bumpers, and protection. JCR has some killer prices on bumpers, armor, and steering conversion, and they are a sponsor.

i still say ditch the kargo master rack... if youve got anywhere near as much money into your yaks as you plan this jeep then you will want to take better care of them than that.

Lol, yeah Yaks are def not cheap. I have two, a creek runner and a playboat, both are over 1500 each. I am so excited right now I cannot stand it. Only thing that is gonna be better is tomorrow, my best friend and I are running the Suicide section of Little River Canyon in Northern AL. It has been raining for two days straight so the water is going to be a torrent, gonna make for fun kayaking. Especially the 50 foot waterfalls and the other class VI sections of whitewater.

Definitley go with JCR over warn. You're paying for Warns name when you buy there.

Why waste money on the borla once again you're buying a name.

Dynomax has cheap catbacks mine was great even when I flattened the tailpipe on rocks.

If you plan on doing anything this rig is capable of I wouldn't waist money on borla.

Good point, again thank you all out there for the reality check. I need them from time to time. Last jeep build I did go very expensive very fast. But my wife loves her Jeep and it keeps her content. To bad her lead foot does not keep our insurance company as content.

figured id show ya this...

RE 4.5 super flex kit, 31s, and a hobie... fishing down in the outer banks. :)

l_37eed4bb56044501b632ab8baf4919bd.jpg

hmmm? idk... that picture is a year and a half or so old. the jeep is a lot more beat up now. :rolleyes: and im in michigan. :(

I meant OP talking about kayaking in No. AL. Not your Jeep at the beach. While with all the rain and snow runoff the rivers will be good, I figured the actual craptastic weather that area is going to get would be a downer.

I love whitewater canoing, never got into kayaking though. Probably because dad and I got into building our own canoes, but vacuum molding kayaks is a whole 'nother ball game.

Honestly i would go with a 33x12.50 to bring the axles up off the ground a bit more.

As far as the crap weather, that is just part of the fun. It is supposed to be done raining by 11 am and we are taking off around noon, so it will be cloudy but big deal. I am going to get wet anyways in the river so why not. I ride a Pyrahna Burn with a skirt and full dry suit. Only part of me exposed is uppers of my cheeks, as I usually wear contacts but since its on the river and I dont want them washed out I have specially made sport goggles with RX inserts for kayaking. Polarized and awesome. According to EddyFlower.com and the USGS the river flow is currently Medium running at 886cfs. That is absolutely perfect on this run. We ran it a week ago and it was running at 1600cfs and it was Brutal to say the least, we got rocked for 14 miles of crazy whitewater.

WOW a 12.5K budget. Neat!

If I were you - and nobody has said this - I would just see if the Jeep can get you where you want to go without modification. Then decide what you NEED vs WANT. There's a lot on your list I WANT but don't NEED ;)

.02c

but yea - FullsizeXJ for your RE lift
Aussie Lockers are sweet (i have em)
CRAIGSLIST for used parts like bumpers and such - why buy new? Save the cash for other stuff...
I could go on...?

I disagree on this point - if you go back to his first post this XJ only has 43K miles on it! I'd rather sink money into all new internals to compliment the low mileage axles, than take a gamble at buying someone's used junk with no history of how they were treated.

Good call but IIRC it has a LP front axle. which i guess would be ok at 4.5 inches but its not the best option

Wow thanks for the advice on JCR, they have gorgeous bumpers and skids and are very well priced. Looking forward to getting some items from them soon.

You'll love their stuff dude, I have came down on rocks HARD with my rails. They even survived hitting a Benz. All it did was bend the pinch seam mount and take some paint off. If you go with a stock front skid(which can be picked up for cheap), JCR t-case skid, and a ZJ gas tank skid(also cheap) along with JCR sliders you'll be good to go for well under what that warn stuff would cost you!

I just ordered the JCR t-case skid. I have a set of their tail light housings that aren't installed yet. Now I just need bumpers and quarter guards and I'm done with armor!

Again I thank everyone for all the great advice. Going to tie up loose ends on my build list the rest of the weekend and start ordering stuff come Monday. I took my new XJ kayaking and camping this weekend and it was alot of fun. We hit Little River Canyon, in NE Alabama. This was the second time we attempted to run it after heavy rains. Last time we ran it, the water gauge at the bridge was sitting at 4.5 feet out of the 8ft marker and this time you could not see the marker at all. The waterfall was awesome and the river was quite a rush. It was flowing at 2100 cfs, and we did all 17 miles to the canyon mouth park. Then took the XJ and headed to Sipsey Wilderness and hiked for two hours and set up camp at dark in the mountains. All in all an amazing weekend.

Back