• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new XJ build, Comments/Opinions

I missed the '01 part, makes sense now I guess.

Honestly, for that kinda cash you could become a member here and get a great deal from one/all of the forum vendors. It is not that I would NOT order from Quadretec, or any one vendor for that matter, its that there are a lot of great deals spread around the community.

AJ's and JCR, make good armor and bumpers, Treks, claytons, RE all make good lift kits, there are any number of forum sponsors for the small stuff as well. Hell, Rusty's is a sponsor now even, though the experience with him seems to be a mixed bag.

fullsizeXJ can score you a deal on the RE lift kit PM him. Don't forget the SYE didn't see it on your list(your 2001 is going to need one at that lift).

So quick question, My order will not be processed until this morning, so I still have time to cancel. Who should I be looking at instead of Quadratec? I looked at 4WD.com and they were even pricier. Please any help here would be great, SHould I drop the entire exhaust idea? No header no exhaust? I already dropped the chip.

If you can cancel I would. Then read search and read some more. For 10k you can build a very very capable rig.

Or a Mall crawler that has everything shiny.

Didn't see slip yoke eliminator on your build list, or gears for that matter. For 33" tires and 5.5" of lift these should be on the list no question. Lots of options for SYE, and for gears I'd do either 4:56 or 4:88.

If he's blowing 10k he should skip the SYE and go Atlas :)

didnt 2000 and 2001 xjs come with a low pinion d30 up front? swap out that front d30 for a high pinion on.
X2, though I would wait to do this (and gearing) till he's figured out if it is passable or not. If it works, why screw with it? If it doesn't, hundred bucks at the you-pull-it fixes the problem, THEN order gears.

didnt 2000 and 2001 xjs come with a low pinion d30 up front? swap out that front d30 for a high pinion on.

Based on the fact he hasn't mentioned hard core wheeling as one of his build objectives, not sure the extra work is necessary - but it's definitely something to consider because our wheeling tastes have a way of evolving.

Wow I seriously appreciate all the responses I have recieved. I am going out now to take pics of my new girl. I will post them either this evening or tomorrow morning. My main objective is getting into places to kayak that most others cannot. I am all about the tricky water. I do want to also have fun offroad. Not so much rock crawling as just taking it in the mountains and mud. I currently have $12,300 as my build budget. I sold my 2008 CBR1000RR and my 1969 Super Beetle for my new jeep so I want a great rig, that not only is functional but looks great as well. This is a Jeep I will not be selling ever. Thanks alot for everything guys, this site is AMAZING. Hands Down

It's easy to get caught up in buying when you have a large budget. Take your time and research each item before purchasing.

It's easy to get caught up in buying when you have a large budget. Take your time and research each item before purchasing.
ding ding

with a budget like that do it right the first time and itll last you forever. or until you chop it... lol. jk. (or am i... :rolleyes:) should make sure frame stiffeners are in that budget, and since your an avid kayaker look into a good rack for your yaks. id pass on the wilderness rack and get something specifically for your yaks. my buddies hobbie went sliding off his truck once. NOT a pretty sight.

start a build thread and keep it updated.

Thanks for all your advice guys I greatly appreciate it, I really do. I will be taking this week to really research alot of items before adding them to my build. It is really alot of fun knowing I have another 4x4 that is all mine and not a family car. I really look forward to this build and in becoming a NAXJA member not just a forum user. I truly believe to be recieving such solid advice I should be helping the site further succeed.

Didn't see slip yoke eliminator on your build list, or gears for that matter. For 33" tires and 5.5" of lift these should be on the list no question. Lots of options for SYE, and for gears I'd do either 4:56 or 4:88.

Here are some current prices to look at for your build:

SYE and driveshaft from Advance Adapters cost me over $600 two weeks ago.

4.56 gears and front non-selectable locker soaked me for $1871 a week later. Diff covers were $175 on top of that.

Four 33x10.50x15 BFG AT KM2s were just under $900.

My RE 6200 5.5" Extreme Lift was $1872 (just a dollar different than the gears).

Monotube shocks from Rubicon Express were $330.

SuperRails from AJ's Offroad cost me $300 after shipping. His front non-winch bumper is $380, plus 60 for shipping.

Steel Cragar Soft 8's were $42.95 each at SummitRacing.com. I cheaped out because I ran out of money.

With the exception of gears and locker, I have done, or plan to do, everything myself. Nearly done now. Good luck with the build.

Last edited:

X2!

This is my second XJ. My first one rocks, but was limited to stock gears and no SYE. I wanted to do it much better the second time around and plan on keeping this rig for 10+ more years.

Oh yeah, my above price list does not include the hundreds I spent on misc items such as rack, optima battery, starter, new seat belts, etc. Those things will always be needed above and beyond your lift/gears/tires.

Back