• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mineral basin

Well, based on your Jeep profile you should be able to run through these while reading your JP magazine and amoralling the dash, everyone is welcomed come aboard and have some fun. For directions: take I-15 south to HWY 93 or 11000 South on the Highland exit. Go east and just drive towards the mountain you will enter American Fork canyon as you come to a ranger station(must pay). continue to go east into the canyon until you come to the HWY 144 turn (left). Just continue to follow this road until you drive right into the parking lot of Tibble Res.

btw I did the mtn bike thing last saturday on the Am. Fork summit loop and they took $3 at the booth.

xj(explorer of booth-less entries)blue

The count is up to 8 so far. Since I only know a few of you I will be glad to meet the rest.

I think another run would be great in the next few weeks. Anything to get out of this 100 deg weather and possibly see some wildlife.

BTW, if you guys haven't been up there, it's awesome! It's my favorite canyon in Utah, kinda smaller, not a HWY where people are cruising threw, it's more of a recreation canyon.:farmer:

climbon said:
Well, based on your Jeep profile you should be able to run through these while reading your JP magazine and amoralling the dash, everyone is welcomed come aboard and have some fun. For directions: take I-15 south to HWY 93 or 11000 South on the Highland exit. Go east and just drive towards the mountain you will enter American Fork canyon as you come to a ranger station(must pay). continue to go east into the canyon until you come to the HWY 144 turn (left). Just continue to follow this road until you drive right into the parking lot of Tibble Res.
climbon,
If you're refering to my Jeep profile, you're making my head (above my shoulders :D) swell.
Also, thanks for the directions. Hopefully I can make it. If Jeff goes, I can follow him. If not, at least I'll know how to get there.
Thanks,
Dan.

Ok, made my decision. It would really suck not to go to Flaming Gorge so I'm planning to go. But it would really suck not to meet and jeep with all of you locals so I will come back from the Gorge friday night and see all Ya'all at Tibble Fork in the morning!
Besides, it sounds like you need somebody with a stock rig....:D

xjblue

I went up to mineral basin this past Saturday. I did not try anything too extreme since I was not with any other jeepers. There is one set of boulders on the way up to the rock garden that turned be back. I am sure that I could have made it but I did not want to take the risk( I am running 33" with 4 " lift, open diffs). As I was turning around I saw a Samari comming down. He said that the by pass to the rock garden was closed and that there is still snow on the road past the rock garden that he was not able to get past.

He was skeptical that I would be able to make it past the rock garden without being locked. Again I have never been up there before and I just thought that I would pass it on.

Some other information. The road past tibble fork has had some work done on it in some places. It is still uncomforable but better than I remeber it last year. Most of the time I was able to go 15 -25 mph. The park pass is $3.00 and you can pay with a credit card you do not need cash.

byu_xj said:
I went up to mineral basin this past Saturday. I did not try anything too extreme since I was not with any other jeepers. There is one set of boulders on the way up to the rock garden that turned be back. I am sure that I could have made it but I did not want to take the risk( I am running 33" with 4 " lift, open diffs). As I was turning around I saw a Samari comming down. He said that the by pass to the rock garden was closed and that there is still snow on the road past the rock garden that he was not able to get past.

He was skeptical that I would be able to make it past the rock garden without being locked. Again I have never been up there before and I just thought that I would pass it on.

Some other information. The road past tibble fork has had some work done on it in some places. It is still uncomforable but better than I remeber it last year. Most of the time I was able to go 15 -25 mph. The park pass is $3.00 and you can pay with a credit card you do not need cash.

I think you did the right thing. That is a sensitive area and we shouldn't be digging holes in the trails. It's still going to be run-off at that elevation.

Kind of an FYI on the Rockgarden 'bypass'. U4WDA and members of RME {www.rockymountainextreme.com} CLOSED the bypass with the blessing and assistance of the forest service. PASS IT ALONG..........tread lightly means don' t run over any living thing (plants) and there were a few trees cut down to make the bypass. The Forest Service asked how they could educate people to not do that and I have no ideas.............

The whole of American Fork canyon is monitored quite closely and we need to be careful what we and other users are doing to the area. Please try to educate other users to 'proper' use of existing roads..........

So based on that report are we still up for the run or do we let it dry out a bit more up there. I have ran the garden with open diffs, it can be done just air down get a good spotter and roll through nice and easy. I just want to get out of the heat, check out some local rigs and have a chat seesion. I will be there

AAhhh my good friend from AZ, why how good of you to notice. This time around I think I will go for the Black and brown one.

I'm still going. Forest Lake trail is not as high elevation as the rock Garden, so we may be O.K. The trail is passable for stock rigs as well. If we get turned around by snow, we can just start a new adventure somewhere else. I'm looking forward to a possible discussion about opening a chapter here.

Good point Marc, the reclaimation of the area surrounding the Rock Garden will be under heavy scrutiny by the Forest Service and as we learned, they are watching for violations of trail and road usage VERY closely. Unfortuantly, I was unable to make it to the re-vegetation party's in AFC in the past, but I hope to be involved in future projects.

:soapbox:

Keep in mind.....we are under the magnifying glass of the Green faction that would prefer to have parking lots at trail heads with signs that prohibit the use of mechanical forms of transportation on these trails.

It is the few that screw things up for the many, and also draws attention from the opposition that wants to lump all ATV and 4x4 enthusiests into one catagory......."a bunch of beer drinking, mud slinging yahoo's that go where they want, when they want".

It is this stigma that must be overcome, and through education and setting a good example for other trail users, we can show that we care more about the enviroment and proper land use than 90% of the so-called enviromentalist that think that saving the wilderness means writing a check to their favorite cause, for charity sake.

Tread Lightly is an attitude, which directly effects the future of our sport.

I hope I can make it this weekend and meet all of you local XJers that I have yet to meet and have a good day on the trail, no matter where we wind up.

XJEEPER

bronco 2

If your junk is towed to the trailhead by an xj can you still be invited?

Re: bronco 2

mikal said:
If your junk is towed to the trailhead by an xj can you still be invited?

Well,,,,,,,,,,expect some F*rd comments on the CB, but I'm cool with it. I'm planning on being there. I need to get out and see 4Low again---(another 'test' session).

I think Dave is right on that Forest Lake will be open and we can at least play in the Rock Garden up Mineral Basin. That's the best part of the trail as far as technical wheeling goes.

Over the next couple days I would like to get a for-sure count on who's going, just so we don't end up waiting for someone who is not actually coming.

David B said:
Over the next couple days I would like to get a for-sure count on who's going, just so we don't end up waiting for someone who is not actually coming.

I'll be #3..........I say if you aren't there by 10:30-10:45, I hope you can find us.........CB channel ? 28 ?

Back