• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lost power and died

Get that puppy fixed Mark.

But not tonight. Tonight we dine..

Does anyone know what year ecu's are compatible? I have a buddy with a 92 xj 4.0 auto. I'm thinking of borrowing his to see if mine starts.

Talk to mark, I just dropped off an ecu from my 96 with cracker for him. It has a cel that I was unable to clear. Maybe he can fix it with his drb.

I drove it today and idle is low. It shut off on me at two stop signs but started right up after. Any ideas why my idle is low? If I'm driving and let off on the gas it will drop to the first line by the zero then go back to normal or shut off.

If you just replaced the ECM, your Idle air control has to relearn the settings, keep driving it for a few miles. If it doesn't improve after a few miles you have another problem.

It improved. I drove it 3 miles and I had to play with the throttle to keep it from dying. On the way back home it did great.

Now I have another issue. It looks like my radiator is leaking antifreeze from a fin.

I have the replacement ecu and new radiator and it had been doing great. This weekend I disconnected the battery in order to install my off-road lights and once again have problems.

Initially it started stalling again and after driving it for roughly 10 miles it cleared up. I thought that I was in the clear but today driving home from work it got worst. Now as I'm driving it's as if the gas randomly cuts off and back on and the rpm gauge moves up and down a bit. It also feels down on power.

I doubled checked the wiring for the lights and everything seemed fine. No idea what could've happened or if the light install was just a coincidence. I used a procomp wiring harness with relay.

My catalytic converter has been rattling like crazy. So I went ahead and googled symptoms of a bad cat and i found this. My xj isn't overheating but I do have a loss of power and bogging.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1088181

Actually the major sign of a failing cat is bogging/lack of power at higher engine speeds. The worse shape the cat is in, the lower speed you'll notice the onset of the power loss

Back