• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lost power and died

xjrick94

NAXJA Forum User
I ran miller jeep trail last month and my xj did great. It was climbing everything easily up until i ran into problems. I was climbing a steep hill and i felt it lose power. I ended up giving it playing with the throttle to keep the engine from dying and the jeep was barely chugging along at 2k rpm. It stalled on me at the top of the hill but i was able to get it started immediately but the idle was real low and not responsive. I revved it a few times and it went back to normal so I kept driving it. About 20 minutes later I lost power again and it finally died. I was checking the connections but couldn't find anything obviously wrong. so we finally began towing it. A wrangler began pulling me in reverse back towards the start of the trail looking for a spot to turn me around. We finally got my jeep turned around and it started so i took off trying to make it back. Luckily it did start since i was able to drive my way through some of the harder sections of the trail and it finally died again in a clearing where you can head towards Yellow jacket trail. I let it sit there while i waited for my friends to catch up and was never able to get it started. My buddies brother ended up towing me out the rest of the way in his land cruiser.

I don't have spark. I checked the CPS using this video as a guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPb6q40iAEY

and it checked out fine. I then used a multimeter and have power going into the coil but not coming out of it so I replaced it. It did start but idled real bad and shut off within 2 seconds and after that I was unable to get it started. I took the coil back and replaced it and had the exact same results. I then replaced the Distributor pickup coil and nothing happened. Any ideas on what else to check? I don't want to continue throwing parts at it hoping that it starts.

I had the engine replaced earlier this year. My xj is a 94 and I had a 96 4.0 installed.

As much as it may have tested good, start by putting a new CPS, Bosch brand if you can get it, if you have to go 'standard' brand make sure the part number does not end in T.

Almost all spark problems root from there, and checking the CPS is unreliable..

That will probably be ok, but in the future go to amazon or autozone and get one that is Standard brand.

Crown Automotive is a 'cheapest possible' import manufacturer that tends to make really crappy products.

I figured that it would have been better than Autozone. Let me see if I can cancel my order since autozone has it in stock locally.

Whichever one is right. :)

There is 1 there for a manual trans
1 for an auto with the old plug
1 for an auto with the new plug

Look at your CPS plug, and then go buy the one that matches it. :)

I bought a new CPS at the dealer. I went to install it and it was different than what was on there. I went back to the dealer and after arguing with the guy the manager confirmed that they gave me a ZJ CPS. They ordered an XJ cps and it should arrive tomorrow.

I bought a new CPS at the dealer. I went to install it and it was different than what was on there. I went back to the dealer and after arguing with the guy the manager confirmed that they gave me a ZJ CPS. They ordered an XJ cps and it should arrive tomorrow.

My friend went to the dealer looking for the o-ring for the VSS, I walk up to the counter as the parts guy is asking my friend if its a 272 or 242 transfer case...

So hopefully the new CPS gets my jeep started. While I had the ZJ CPS i compared it to my old one and the polarity was almost non existent on my old one when comparing to how strong the new one was.

i would check your CPS connector and make sure its not soaked in oil (Id assume you check that when you did the swap.

It's rare to have happen, but the ignition coil can go out. Try that as next step.

Then cap and rotor.

i would check your CPS connector and make sure its not soaked in oil (Id assume you check that when you did the swap.

It's rare to have happen, but the ignition coil can go out. Try that as next step.

Then cap and rotor.

Its not soaked in oil. I already replaced:
Ignition coil (twice)
Pick up coil
and CPS

When I changed the ignition coil it briefly started idled like crap and died immediately. So i ran to the parts store and exchanged the ignition coil and it did the exact same thing. Then it would not start at all anymore.

The reason that I had started with the ignition coil was that I had tested the CPS and it had checked out fine. I then used a multimeter and found that there is power going into the ignition coil but no power coming out of the ignition coil.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to take my jeep to get diagnosed? I'm in Lynwood which is right by the 105/710 and have a trailer so getting it there shouldn't be an issue. I'm out of ideas

When we say becoming a red letter member is the best $35 you'll ever spend, we mean it. Most of the time memebers are more likely to drive out and help those that support the club when they need help.

Just saying...

Back