• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

List all of your "heat soak", "hot soak" fixes

i dont know abrevations and i hate trying to figure them out.
X2

I did a google search for ethanol free gas and found a web site that lists stations selling ethanol free gas..

Mind if I cheat,. Do you have a link to that ethanol free website ? ;)

Anyway Back to my up-Date
I had heat soak nearly ever time I re-started my jeep. But now It was not happened scenes
I removed the aluminum heat shield and installed 1/2" thick spacer on the hood brackets and
this has been working great for me. Even on the days its been 95+ degrees.

Last edited:
The fan timer is sure a good idea.

Didn't ever really have the heat soak problem. We've had at least one 2001 XJ since mid-2001. But in both cases the underhood heat was so high that even what passes for winter in Texas required gloves to open the hood. This even with a perfect cooling system running a 195F ROBERTSHAW "Balanced Sleeve" thermostat.

On the second '01 I shimmed the rear hood hinges slightly, and removed the hood to firewall rubber weatherstrip on the side where the HVAC does NOT intake outside air and found that heat related problems were essentially eliminated. In fact I need to remove the shims as the Jeep tends to run just a little cool now, cutting fuel mileage and lengthening warm-up time. I'll probably go back to stock temp thermostat now. Heat degradation of all the plastic has taken it's toll (we run A/C at least 9-mos of the year).

If you shim the hood be sure to lube the latch releases up front . . mine had to be released from under the car when the mechanism came loose. A real pain to get the hood open when the release mechanism lost it's leverage. I used some very short SS sheet metal screws to re-attach.

I had been battling with heat soak on my 2000 XJ for over a year. I replaced the original injectors with 4 hole Bosch/Ford injectors and haven't had a problem since. General performance is much better as well. I would try this solution FIRST, as it requires no mods, cutting, anything.

More clarity: I finally replaced all six original injectors with 4 hole Bosch/Ford injectors and haven't had a problem since. Part of the problem, I suspect, was a slightly leaky fuel injector, possibly caused by fatigue from the extreme heat. Just as a precaution, I also put the TSB insulation that I had on injectors 3 and 5 back on.

I ordered brand new injectors off eBay. The numbers on the side are
Ford
XF2E-C4B
9F593 212
W210B02034

More clarity: I finally replaced all six original injectors with 4 hole Bosch/Ford injectors and haven't had a problem since. Part of the problem, I suspect, was a slightly leaky fuel injector, possibly caused by fatigue from the extreme heat. Just as a precaution, I also put the TSB insulation that I had on injectors 3 and 5 back on.

I ordered brand new injectors off eBay. The numbers on the side are
Ford
XF2E-C4B
9F593 212
W210B02034

Do you have a link to the auction? Thanks

Having a few years of experimenting with this issue,
I tried everything, insulating the injectors, Upgraded injectors, adding an aux check valve in the fuel line & the Fan timer.

The Fan timer is the only fix that worked every time.
And the problem is absolutely caused by the ethanol in the fuel.

Having a few years of experimenting with this issue, I tried everything, insulating the injectors, Upgraded injectors, adding an aux check valve in the fuel line & the Fan timer.
The Fan timer is the only fix that worked every time.
And the problem is absolutely caused by the ethanol in the fuel.

This has been my experience too over the last 8 years or so
The timer absolutely works...when I remember to use it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157617434915718/

One improvement that has really helped the hot soak problem was the addition last year of hood vents, located at the rear of the hood. It eliminated most of its occurrences. On a hot day, you can see waves of heat exiting through the vents.
8423711303_6f80753944.jpg

Back