• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

List all of your "heat soak", "hot soak" fixes

Lets forget about the cat/no cat debate, i want some real world fixes for the heat soak issues for those that have it! My 90 RENIX is not a huge concern for me, like stated before, I have it managed to where its not a big issue for more than a few seconds.

I would really like to help my co-workers fix their issues. I know there are many others on here that have heat soak issues as well.

I do like the mechanical timer idea, its cheap and simple. Lets dig deeper into that and come up with a wiring diagram that will work with the E-fan in stock form.

It is an 01. Dealer said the "fix" is in. BS. The little insulator between the intake man. and the inj. rail is insufficient.

That isn't the heat soak fix. Thats the debris fire issue fix. The dealer's fix for heat soak is putting an insulator on the #3 spark plug.

Lets forget about the cat/no cat debate, i want some real world fixes for the heat soak issues for those that have it! My 90 RENIX is not a huge concern for me, like stated before, I have it managed to where its not a big issue for more than a few seconds.

Have you considered the fuel pressure check valve?

I really think it has something to do with the Ford injectors, I had the same problems with my Ford injectors on the stroker, which is also Renix based. So I found some higher flowing OEM injectors, Grey Top I believe. Problem went away for me. I would go to the junk yard and find some injectors from a newer XJ and swap those in and screw the Ford injectors.

I really think it has something to do with the Ford injectors, I had the same problems with my Ford injectors on the stroker, which is also Renix based. So I found some higher flowing OEM injectors, Grey Top I believe. Problem went away for me. I would go to the junk yard and find some injectors from a newer XJ and swap those in and screw the Ford injectors.

There are supposed to be some Neon injectors that are better suited. Try searching.

As for a wiring diagram for the stock efan setup, there were two recent threads on Muddeprived's timer install, do a search for that too.

The factory exhaust on the XJ is beyond a terrible design. The reason the exhaust manifolds on these crack is because of heat generated by the exhaust, and that's why there is catalytic converter failure as well. The mufflers are also clogging rust cans. Replace the cat, muffler and tailpipe with some quality units and it will fix the issue of Heat Soak. Or you could wrap your header with header wrap, but keep it dry or it will rust out your header. A proven fix, plus its a great upgrade for few hundred bucks that will get you more power, and slightly better fuel economy.

Wrap the fuel rail with a couple layers of aluminum foil and then zip tie it all down.... You would think the zip ties would melt, but they have lasted me this long.

Wrap the fuel rail with a couple layers of aluminum foil and then zip tie it all down.... You would think the zip ties would melt, but they have lasted me this long.

Take note, CherBear also wears an aluminum foil hat--keeps the voices out--so be careful when following his suggestions. :confused1

I've considered perhaps swapping to a 95-down fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator, and return line, but I'm not sure what to do about the fact that a 96-up fuel pump contains a fuel pressure regulator. Might get away with it, might have to eliminate the one at the pump.

Mine also doesn't have heatsoak so I have no reason to try this out, and I can't really seriously suggest it to people without trying it. Anyone wanna be a guinea pig?

The heat soak issue was a real pain for me. I read all the posts and decided to just remove the aluminum heat shield located between the injectors and manifold before trying the TSB fixes. Figured I would start there before I got more involved. Since removing the heat shield the injector vapor lock problem dissapeared. Since then, no problems with heat soak. Go figure, worked for me!:clap:

The heat soak issue was a real pain for me. I read all the posts and decided to just remove the aluminum heat shield located between the injectors and manifold before trying the TSB fixes. Figured I would start there before I got more involved. Since removing the heat shield the injector vapor lock problem dissapeared. Since then, no problems with heat soak. Go figure, worked for me!:clap:

Wow! You would think it would get worse, might try it!

Wow! You would think it would get worse, might try it!

The heat shield that he removed was a TSB to prevent fires from debris resting on the exhaust manifold. It is not related to any heat soak TSBs. I am not saying that removing did not help, but the shield wasn't there for any heat soak reason.

The heat shield that he removed was a TSB to prevent fires from debris resting on the exhaust manifold. It is not related to any heat soak TSBs. I am not saying that removing did not help, but the shield wasn't there for any heat soak reason.

Right, all 5 of my XJ's have the heat shield and they all have some kind of debris laying on them from time to time. But what surprises me is the shield should keep some of the heat from rising to the injector rail, but not in xjmiester's case.

But what surprises me is the shield should keep some of the heat from rising to the injector rail, but not in xjmiester's case.

That is odd.. unless it is channeling the heat off to the sides of the shield, dumping it on our favorite #3

Not a real fix on my 89 but 94 octane plus techron cuts down my engine miss after heatsoak by 80% in severity and duration. Its still there but waaayyy better

Back