• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift install day, but no lift installed!

elementip

NAXJA Member #1436
It's been a crappy day. One thing after another. :).

I purchased a 3” lift kit from rusty’s in November of last year. Due to my bizarre work schedule and extreme procrastination, I did not have a chance to try to get this installed until today. The rear leaf springs have been sitting in my trunk, and the coils and shocks lived in my bedroom (much to the dismay of my girlfriend) :)

Last night I decided to go through all the parts to make sure I had everything before heading up to my friend’s house in the morning. I had all the parts except the brake line extensions!. I tore apart my apartment, XJ, parent’s house, office, etc, but to no avail. They were gone, and I had no idea where they went. I came up with several backup plans, but what it came down to was hoping that I would not need the extensions until I went off-highway.

In the morning I left Bellevue, WA for Marysville. (about 35 minutes north). I took parts, some tools, and my brother just in case. These guys are not Jeep people. Not even truck people. They build Honda stuff, but they had tools, and mechanical ingenuity, so I figured this would have been a walk in the park.

The day started off when he opened his garage to reveal a half assembled eclipse with the key locked inside. An hour later, after many break in attempts, the car’s owner showed up with a spare key, and we pushed the eclipse out in to the driveway. Next, the garage owner decides he should clean the garage before we got started. This process also took an hour.

Finally we jacked the rear up, and set it on jackstands, but the jackstands were too short!. The yard, though filled with wheels, motors, and various pieces of machinery, contained no large wood blocks, nothing to crib the jackstands with.

By this point, it was nearing the time my brother had to get to work in Redmond. We piled in to one of the Hondas and drove south. Traffic sucked both ways. We planned to stop at harbor freight on the way back, but do to a wife ‘issue’, we had to cut our trip short and remove my jeep from his garage. Traffic sucked on the way home, and I still don’t have my lift installed!

I ended up purchasing jackstands from Napa today, and will acquire YJ brake lines this week, but I have a feeling the parts will sit until some nice summer weekend. Argh…

Damn dude...as soon as I get something for my vehicle...I gotta put it on. Get crackalackin'. :)

There is no way I could sit on parts that long without installing them. :repair:

Happens, tip, if you are pushed for time and doing the whole spring pack remove the front spring bolts first, that is usually the most time consuming part and if it's gonna be a ball buster thats where it will be. Have a good drill and a 2" hole saw 'just in case'.... I also heard no mention of 'I've been spraying all my nuts and bolts with power blaster all week in preperation of the lift and am on my third can now'....thats alot of times half the battle...

A year? I usually take off early from work when the UPS man shows up at my house. You're probably going to go crazy you know...

I installed my Rusty's 3" AAL in my MJ the day after Christmas in my driveway by myself with hand tools. I had to stare at the boxes for a week prior to Christmas and that damn near drove me nuts. My inlaws and neighbors thought I was totally insane. I would never be able to wait a year. Here is a pic shortly after the install. It's dated Jan 3rd 04.

71s.jpg

Well you didn't have the brake line extensions because the Rusty's kit doesn't come with them. And you don't need em for the 3" kit. Staller.... Get to work.

The 3" comes with a rear relocation bracket thingy, nothing for the front.

Back