• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End Problems

Lost_Wrench

NAXJA Forum User
The last 6 months or so I've developed a slight shake at 55-60mph, Inner Tire Wear on both front tires, and jeep is starting to pull pretty hard to the right. Pulling hard enough that I can't take hands off the steering wheel now and realized I need to address this asap.

First I'm going to rotate the tires which only have 5k on them, and do an alignment. My front end components were all seemingly in pretty good shape last time I had it up on jackstands. What other likely culprits should I look at first with these symptoms? Diagnosing worn front end components has never been my specialty.

The check list for that is .......
Tires and wheels true and balanced
Toe, castor, and camber
Unit bearings
Ball joints
Tie rod ends
Steering box and mounts
Trackbar and mounts

Also since you mentioned "pulling"......
Rotors, calipers and caliper mounts

The last 6 months or so I've developed a slight shake at 55-60mph, Inner Tire Wear on both front tires, and jeep is starting to pull pretty hard to the right. Pulling hard enough that I can't take hands off the steering wheel now and realized I need to address this asap.

First I'm going to rotate the tires which only have 5k on them, and do an alignment. My front end components were all seemingly in pretty good shape last time I had it up on jackstands. What other likely culprits should I look at first with these symptoms? Diagnosing worn front end components has never been my specialty.

So many posts on this topic across the internet. You'll find that there are a many things that can trigger this. Probably the best starting point is to ensure that the track bar mounting points are tight on both sides. After that, it could be due to pretty much any loose joint or wheel bearing in the front.

Also don't forget tire age!!!

UPDATE:

Just got around to addressing this front end shake/wobble issue. I rotated the tires (235's) which only have 6k on them and are only about a year old so this is their first rotation. I checked the psi of the front tires and one was 35 psi and the other was 42psi. Not sure if that difference would be enough to cause my issues but by rotating fronts to back and evening out the psi in all 4 tires the Jeep drives straight as an arrow now and no more shake. I still had the issue of both the inner fronts wearing down prematurely so i think there is still an underlying issue causing that so I'll have to dive in further.

Get accurate measurements of the toe/caster/camber!

Ok thanks that will be my next step. I still need to diagnose this otherwise in 5k miles I'll have the same issues once the newly rotated tires wear down.

I had similar issues and determined that with 220,000 miles that maybe the control arm bushings were worn.

Did a 3.5 inch lift with new tie rod ends, adjustable track bar, and upper and lower control arms.

Better than new.

Back