• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaked video from Iraq

I appreciate the informative discussion.

They are regular words, not military terminology. I used the term "premeditated" to indicate that it was not a "mistake"; it wasn't like someones finger slipped on the trigger, that would be a "mistake". I used the term "massacre" to indicate that it was a one-way fight. But that's the fun of discussions, peoples interpretation of words changes based on what their background or outlook is.

... The words you used to describe what these warriors did bother me, they show you as a person that thinks they are guilty and must prove they are innocent.

Then they left the wrong impression.

It shows you have no respect for what service members do for you past, present and future.

You are completely and utterly mistaken.

Ron

Last edited:

They are regular words, not military terminology. I used the term "premeditated" to indicate that it was not a "mistake"; it wasn't like someones finger slipped on the trigger, that would be a "mistake". I used the term "massacre" to indicate that it was a one-way fight. But that's the fun of discussions, peoples interpretation of words changes based on what their background or outlook is.

Ron

Bet you got nominated again. . . .

You know, you really are an uneducated, opinionated moronic troll. But knowing your reputation, I'm surprised that many people get worked up when you decide to bring out the stupid.

Ron

This is a friendly discussion, but you as well as I know that those words are not just regular especially when we are talking about military actions. When those words are used in conjunction with a military operation they are describing someone breaking the Law of War.
Personally I think you used those words to get the reaction that you did get from some of us. All I'm asking is that you acknowledge that those 2 words are a poor choice of words to use when describing a military battle.
Hitler massacred millions of Jews. Jeffery Dahmer's murders were all premeditated.
You may (or may not) have meant the words to be taken in a specific manner, but perception is reality.

Oh and for future reference, a finger slipping on a trigger is NOT a mistake. When those mistakes are made people die, it is negligence on the operators part. You don't put your finger on the trigger till you plan on squeezing it, till then you keep that little digit outside of the trigger guard.

You know, you really are an uneducated, opinionated moronic troll. But knowing your reputation, I'm surprised that many people get worked up when you decide to bring out the stupid.

Good One!

With that... I'm done. I have had a good discussion with a couple of polite individuals, and learned something about what I saw in the video along the way.

Y'all have a nice day.

:cheers:

Ron

This is a friendly discussion, but you as well as I know that those words are not just regular especially when we are talking about military actions. When those words are used in conjunction with a military operation they are describing someone breaking the Law of War.
Personally I think you used those words to get the reaction that you did get from some of us. All I'm asking is that you acknowledge that those 2 words are a poor choice of words to use when describing a military battle.
Hitler massacred millions of Jews. Jeffery Dahmer's murders were all premeditated.
You may (or may not) have meant the words to be taken in a specific manner, but perception is reality.

I believe there are other instances where the term "massacre" is used when talking about battles, but who used them depended on what kind of spin they wanted to put on the event.

Well put though, I see your viewpoint.

Ron

I believe there are other instances where the term "massacre" is used when talking about battles, but who used them depended on what kind of spin they wanted to put on the event.

Nice backpedal, Sun Tzuki. We all know what you meant the first time. My name's Pitt. And your ass ain't talkin' your way out of this shit.

This thread is getting good :D

popcorn.gif

Ron
The mistake wa injuring the children and killing the reporters. However, who brings children into an area where a helicopter is blowing people up? And who hangs out with insurgents wearing the same clothes as the insurgents, carrying gear that can be easily mistaken for something more sinister? Especially in an area that has been known for attacks on our troops.

Good One!

With that... I'm done. I have had a good discussion with a couple of polite individuals, and learned something about what I saw in the video along the way.

Y'all have a nice day.

:cheers:

Ron

Thanks, I try my best.

Seriously though, the notion of a polite conversation when it is very well apparent that your choice of words were chosen to illicit a visceral response from those you were having a "polite" discussion with is simple subterfuge. You know you were going to get people upset and pissed at you. You chose those words very carefully and on purpose. So don't try to play the innocent and hurt martyr when people call you on it.

^someone has "New Word of the Day" toilet paper :D

Heres some comments from a former Apache driver on another forum

What the leaked videos dont show is that this small engagment was part of a larger battle in the area that had been ongoing during the day.

Commenting on the same videos but the longer more dramatic ones put up by Wikileaks.

My personal opinion is if you play with fire you're gonna get burned. Hanging out with gun and RPG toting people in an active combat zone is retarded.

As for the van that showed up with kids in it...Its my opinion they were probably there in support of the armed men.

Bringing your kids into an active combat zone is....well beyond stupid.

As for the language in the video thats pretty much standard. One of my good friends is a civi in support of Air Force ops. He was called in to review some gun camera footage/audio with a psychologist as well as a PR person to see if some could be released. When the lady psych and the PR guy heard the pilots yelling things like

"motherXXXXer when I kill you you stay dead" while commencing a second bombing run etc.. it shocked them.

They were then instructed that language like that was not to be used. So they recieved the next several dozen missions worth of footage with the pilots humming things like the i dream of genie theme while bombing trucks and buildings.

Wanna guess which one was more disturbing?
_________________________________________________________________-

Where to start...

I've been on that side of the camera before, in that particular weapon system. I don't know if we have any other members who are AH-64D qualified, but if we do, I haven't seen them say anything yet.

I made some comments on my company forum, and I'll include some of those here.

-First, let's start with the web address - collateralmurder.org. Biased much?
-If anyone stuck around to watch the video credits, you'll notice the first individual listed is credited as "Producer, Creative Director". Seriously? Creative director? What are we being "creative" about here?
-This video footage has information on it which is classified. When DoD releases Apache video footage, certain features of the video aren't released because they are considered classified due to operational security reasons.
-At 3:39 of the video, you can clearly see at least two guys with rifles. These guys were responding to a report of gunfire in the area, which would undoubtedly raise their blood pressure a little. I'm pretty sure that if the RoE were the same as when I was there, these guys were justified in their decision to engage.
-As long as the guys were following the RoE, it's a good shoot. Yeah, maybe their language wasn't appropriate. But also understand that every bad guy over there wants to shoot down a US helicopter, especially an Apache. These guys get shot at day in and day out. Part of their actions are based on self-preservation; the other part is protecting the guys on the ground.
-Yeah, there are probably numerous individuals out there who hate America even more after seeing this. It's probably going to be used as a recruiting tool for them. That's probably why DoD didn't want it released. To the untrained observer, it looks like a bunch of trigger happy gun bunnies wasting a bunch of innocent women and children. Unfortunately, there's a tactical situation on the ground that isn't obvious just from watching the video.
-Finally, let me tell you about what the pilots see. They watch the video on a 5" by 5" screen positioned at an angle approximately 18-24 inches from the pilot's eyes. Add to that the resolution of the camera and it's easy to understand how the pilots wouldn't be able to see the kids in that video. You saw toward the end of the video the "super-zoom" footage where the kids were pointed out in the front of the van. I certainly didn't see them in the original footage, and I had the video blown up on my 15" laptop screen. Based on my experience, I can tell you with almost 100% assurance that the pilots didn't see them, and had they, I know with everything in my heart that they would not have engaged the van. You heard one of the pilots say that they shouldn't bring kids into a war zone. I know in my heart that guy was trying to justify his actions to himself, even though he was fully justified in pulling the trigger (and yes, it's a trigger).

I won't get into the politics of this incident, because whether or not I think we ought to be there is irrelevant. We're there, we have a job to do, and we're doing it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back