• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just wanted to make an introduction

thanks everyone for the feedback!

i just wanted to show everyone that i'm willing to do my part to contribute this awesome community of enthusiasts. i cannot begin to say how much I am liking my truck and how much everyone wants to help me.

Now today, I have been informed that my truck will not pass smog. This is due to the fact that the previous owners have installed a K&N filter on the truck and removed I believe it's called a hot air line that hooks up to a connector just slightly below the intake. I have been informed by a test only business owner that also has a built jeep himself (not on naxja unfortunately). He informed me that I'm going to need the stock air box to pass smog.

Is this a problem?

Last edited:
Yeah, borrowing a stock airbox, and the accordion aluminum(?) ducting "heat riser" if necessary, is the way to go.

Technically, though, the SELLER is responsible for getting it smogged when you buy a vehicle. So if you run into any issues or expense, make the seller take care of it. And as long as you didn't buy it as parts only with no title, the seller's still responsible for smogging it, even if the Bill of Sale says "As Is, Where Is".

Of course, this only applies in my world when I buy a car, not when I sell one!

Lol this looks like the hammer Tone thread

Haha story of my life!

3ad6c22f.jpg

Kacy, I hope that you enjoy it and it treats you well.

Did you have the smog guy run the actual test, or did he just do the visual and tell you you need the stock airbox? If you haven't had it tested yet find a place that will do a pre-test, off the books first. If you have it tested and it fails IMO it makes it harder to pass later.

Kacy, I hope that you enjoy it and it treats you well.

Did you have the smog guy run the actual test, or did he just do the visual and tell you you need the stock airbox? If you haven't had it tested yet find a place that will do a pre-test, off the books first. If you have it tested and it fails IMO it makes it harder to pass later.

yes! i took it to my smog guy, whom is really cool guy, BUILT jeep owner, but totally 'by-the-book' on smogs and told me right away not having the stock airbox will be a problem.

luckily Tone has an adapter that will make having the K&N legal. It let's you run the K&N and has a fitting for heater hose. :yap:

Back