• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard upgrades

Gojeep said:
Standard height is 17.5" from wheel centre to underside of the flare in front and 17" in the rear.

Is it the same for the MJ? If so, I've got 8"+ in the rear with a 3" XJ AAL and SOA conversion. Forgot to measure before lift!

The MJ does have the same front flare but do have bigger rear flares. I dont know if that means taller as well?

MPETESS10 said:
for those with an auto equipped XJ lookin for a t-case drop
pick up a late model XJ 5spd trans crossmember it is identical to an auto but the top of it where the trans mount bolts to is about 3/4 lower than on an auto
both are the same dimesions but directly in the center where the mount bolts the 5spd one dips down to a lower mounting surface and essentially gives you a 3/4" t-case drop with no loss in ground clearance or breakover angle.
not sure exactly what years to look for but my 99 5spd is like this and I found a replacement on a 96 5spd in the junkyard after I fubared mine.

I didnt know they were different and the first one I picked up was from a 98 auto XJ and when I got mine out and compared them is when I found the difference.

might be a little help for those who have a mild lift with some slight vibes but cant afford an SYE but dont want the lost clearance of the T-case drop

Following MPETESS10 I got one today and measured the tcase drop amount at 5/8"
Thanks man, and here's a pic so y'all know what to look for.

crossmember.jpg

You do realise that the transfercase is still the lowest point and now 3/4" lower still. So now you have even less protection around the transfercase than before. I would prefer the the cross member took the hit and not the transfercase!

The bottom of the crossmember is lower than the transfercase, and it still is. But now I have the skidplate below the tcase, and I assume they're the same for both crossmembers. The lips on the skid are lower than the crossmember, but I think the protection is worth the loss of clearance.

Gojeep said:
You do realise that the transfercase is still the lowest point and now 3/4" lower still. So now you have even less protection around the transfercase than before. I would prefer the the cross member took the hit and not the transfercase!
i wouldn't wheel without more transfercase protection than is offered by the crossmember. tc and oilpan skids have been amongst the best investments i've made.

Quick note on using the crossmember from a manual: turns out that the exhaust hanger mount that's by the tranny mount hit the top of the new crossmember and sounded awful. Gave a little love and attention with the ball peen and it's nice and quiet now.

82-92 camaro rear spring insulators, grab em there cheap, take off your stock nsulator on the front slap that maro one up there, and then put your old on back, bam! 1.5 in lift

89RockHeep said:
82-92 camaro rear spring insulators, grab em there cheap, take off your stock nsulator on the front slap that maro one up there, and then put your old on back, bam! 1.5 in lift

yea I have a camaro, the people suggest removing the insulatiors and replacing the insulator with a rubber hose with a slit cut in order to lower the car. So you benefits are two fold, you lower your camaro for free, and lift your jeep for free.

89RockHeep said:

So the camaro insulators are 1.5" thick? I'll have to get some from the junkyard, thanks.

also. if you massage that lower bump on the insulator with a grinder and wet wheel, it will fit perfectly into the rear of another set of them, making it a 15 dollar, poly 3' lift puck

I was at the yard today picking up some more Tahoe cargo tie-downs. These things are great, and can also be found in the late-90s S-10 Blazers (two of these came from a '98). The cig provides reference for size

Tahoe_Tie_Downs.jpg

Also found this in the back of a Tahoe

Mystery_Cargo_Net.jpg

I don't know if it's from a Tahoe--I haven't seen it in any of them before, and there was a lot of weird parts junk in this one

That netting will be perfect for my current project (sekrit). I'd like to know what it's from so I can get a couple more steel hooks.

Back