• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard upgrades

chrisja77 said:
Would this be a good cheap substitute for the adjustable lower control arms for my 95 with 3" of lift? I would like to get the tires back forwards where they belong....and I'm looking at adding a 2" BB so I can get 32's or maybe even 33"s with some triming in the future. The LCA's will be a must then.

For 3" or 5" of lift I think 2" longer LCA's would be too long. According to this site--> http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html (bottom of page) the 2" longer LCA's would work for 8" of lift.

Holy crap this thread still lives! When I started it 3 years ago I never imagined it would get to 13 pages and have over 180 posts! It's become quite the boneyard shopping list. Don't know if this has been mentioned but a lot of ZJ's and WJ's came with a nice stacked plate tranny cooler. I've scored them for as little as $5 . Beats the hell out of the $40 tube and fin coolers you see at parts stores, and for as cheap as you can get them if you want something bigger just put 2 in series.

semisynth said:
Holy crap this thread still lives! When I started it 3 years ago I never imagined it would get to 13 pages and have over 180 posts! It's become quite the boneyard shopping list.

What can we say...We're cheap....uhhhh, I mean thrifty...:rof:

Well i didnt see this one is the posts. If you can find some front springs from a 76ish Ford F100 its about a 4 1/2 - 5"ish lift. BUT its kinnda stiff. you get flex but not as much as you would with the right springs.

mscans said:
the rear lower control arms on the geo tracker 90-99, suzuki sidekick, and chevy tracker, all 90-99, are 2 inches longer than the xj front control arms, and will fit directly, with a little love. they are round stock, and torque pretty good.

I checked these out today but didn't pull them, have any idea if it's DOM tubing or are they solid? What lift height would they be used for, 8in?

Anyone know of a boneyard substitute for CAs on a 3-5in lift?

Wm

the '05 and up gr. cherokee and commander rear upper control arms are the correct length for 3-4" lift and are boxed square tubing, which look pretty strong. the jk uca's and lca's are way too long to use on an xj.

moparjim1987 said:
the '05 and up gr. cherokee and commander rear upper control arms are the correct length for 3-4" lift and are boxed square tubing, which look pretty strong. the jk uca's and lca's are way too long to use on an xj.

I was reading on the Jeep Forum that the GC control arms aren't nearly as good as the stock XJs, apparently those used on the XJ are able to flex and twist then return to normal (U channel)......those used on the GCs aren't as forgiving and wind up ripping apart.

The Samurai/Tracker/Sidekick control arms looked strong but that was also in comparison to the itty bitty axle and frame componants...YIKES! That little thing amused me, I wasn't able to see much the way it was sitting so I thought I'd try my luck at lifting it and kicking a rim under it......when it actually came up off the ground I started laughing and almost dropped the damn thing lol.

Any other ideas floating around for junkyard control arm upgrades? Unless someone chimes in about their success wheeling with those from the Samis or Grand Cherokees I'm doubting this part swap would be trustworthy. (no offense to anyone that's suggested their use, my knowledge of the subject is minimal and mostly theoretical.) Have a great weekend guys!

Wm

Kahn Strictor said:
I was reading on the Jeep Forum that the GC control arms aren't nearly as good as the stock XJs, apparently those used on the XJ are able to flex and twist then return to normal (U channel)......those used on the GCs aren't as forgiving and wind up ripping apart.

The Samurai/Tracker/Sidekick control arms looked strong but that was also in comparison to the itty bitty axle and frame componants...YIKES! That little thing amused me, I wasn't able to see much the way it was sitting so I thought I'd try my luck at lifting it and kicking a rim under it......when it actually came up off the ground I started laughing and almost dropped the damn thing lol.

Any other ideas floating around for junkyard control arm upgrades? Unless someone chimes in about their success wheeling with those from the Samis or Grand Cherokees I'm doubting this part swap would be trustworthy. (no offense to anyone that's suggested their use, my knowledge of the subject is minimal and mostly theoretical.) Have a great weekend guys!

Wm

those tiny axles are actually pretty strong, my tracker is on 38's with 5.13 gears and the stock 1.8, haven't broke anything yet.

mscans said:
those tiny axles are actually pretty strong, my tracker is on 38's with 5.13 gears and the stock 1.8, haven't broke anything yet.
Impressive, I'm sure the lightweight vehicle riding on them helps quite a bit too.........I've been looking for a Sami to build and use as a daily driver, that 30-35mpg would be a huge advantage over my beloved XJs.

Wm

Kahn Strictor said:
Impressive, I'm sure the lightweight vehicle riding on them helps quite a bit too.........I've been looking for a Sami to build and use as a daily driver, that 30-35mpg would be a huge advantage over my beloved XJs.

Wm

yeah, the title says 2100 pounds curb, like 500 more than a rhino. 50 horsepower doesn't make it too easy to break parts. it was really good on gas when i first got it.

for those of you with power antennas, almost any late model GM uses the same drive motor and relay. You may have to remove the motor and re-use your old mast, depending on the length of the the junkyard mast. As a bonus, the relay is the same and it is clipped to the antenna mast on the GM models.

for those with an auto equipped XJ lookin for a t-case drop
pick up a late model XJ 5spd trans crossmember it is identical to an auto but the top of it where the trans mount bolts to is about 3/4 lower than on an auto
both are the same dimesions but directly in the center where the mount bolts the 5spd one dips down to a lower mounting surface and essentially gives you a 3/4" t-case drop with no loss in ground clearance or breakover angle.
not sure exactly what years to look for but my 99 5spd is like this and I found a replacement on a 96 5spd in the junkyard after I fubared mine.

I didnt know they were different and the first one I picked up was from a 98 auto XJ and when I got mine out and compared them is when I found the difference.

might be a little help for those who have a mild lift with some slight vibes but cant afford an SYE but dont want the lost clearance of the T-case drop

Back