• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard upgrades

I was going to go hunt for this thread... Went to the local Jeep yard today for a couple of small things and hit the jackpot on some other stuff I'd been thinking about.

First, my midnight blue '91 has a crack in the hatch, the wiring is messed up (thanks to my little brother), the panel is in shambles, and the defrost grid has some broken wires. I found a pristine hatch on a black '96 that had everything plus the third brake light in the window, and they let me have it for $250 (a good $100 less than most yards want).

I also found another '96 that had the fake woodgrain dashboard and door panels, so I grabbed all that too. They let me have the whole set for free after buying the hatch.

Bunch of other small stuff... window molding from a '98 to replace the worn and peeling crap on my beater, passenger side cup-holder, hatch weatherstripping, a couple of other things. I loaded up the Jeep man.

I would like to know if anyone knows the diff. between the 95 231transfercase and a 97. I know the tail housing but I want to do a hac n tap on my 95. Whats to keep me from pulling the tail housing off a newer one and bolting it to mine??? Isnt the output shaft the same? I thought the only difference was one was lubed internaly (long tail casing) and the other is greased and booted.(Short case) If anyone could give me any help I would really apreciate it:confused1

Did a budget lift this weekend by cutting up old cherokee springs and adding them to mine, worked terrific added 2". My only concern is the spring retainers that i fabricated . Question, now that i cut the springs apart will the springs work without the factory bands that they came with and my after market fabricated ones?

i recently got me some interior door panels from a '97 for my '95. wasnt a direct swap. i got all four panels. i had to go back to the yard for the rods for the locks and the handles because there located further back on the panel so the rods are shorter. had to cut out and area further back in the doors to relocate the lock/handle area. the chrismas tree clips have a different pattern so i had to drill new holes in the door.

i also got the rear view mirrows. much happier with the view they give me and the look much cooler.

i also got the steering pump bracket so i can finally use my 99+ intake i scored on eBay for 50 bucks a while back.

this was the first time ive seen a 97+ at my local yard so i grabbed as much as i could.

I was told this weekend that the springs on the old jeep commando's would give 5" of lift on an XJ. Has anyone else heard this, and just how hard are these to find in a junkyard? I can't seem to find any around here...

They told me the springs would give 5" lift, but that they were 2" longer than the XJ springs. Wouldn't matter other than changing the shackle angle. I guess that would give it a little rough ride, but other than that, I dunno???

I would love to see this thread edited to remove the "fluff" and made a sticky, there was quite a few ideas i just pulled from here that will save me some money, AND some things i really only knew half of the info i needed. So nice thread.

My addition is only the Idol Air Valve from a 4.0 HO works on the older 4.0 engines. It looks a bit diffrent, the HO plug is clocked about 45 degrees diffrent but thats all.

I didnt want to drop 50 to replace mine so I pulled one off an HO to chance it. It needs alittle more cleaning, was pulled from a really poor maintained engine, lots of carbon built up. But even so, it works just fine. =)

Ed

I'm wondering if the coil size is the same at the bottom where it sits on the axle. if its a smaller circle in the coil you will have bought them and be stuck.

maybe if theres an xj at yer yard, try before you buy?

I guess I'm not being clear enough. I'm talking about using the leaf springs out of the comando to give a lift in the rear of the XJ.

Sure you are not thinking of a MJ Comanche instead?

The guy I was talking to said a comando. He said since it was a SUA setup, that when you used it on the rear of an XJ it would give the lift. Said it was a direct swap, no cutting, welding or fabbing needed. With that being said, I never even thought about the comando and CJ having the same springs. Would the CJ springs fit in the rear of an XJ? If so, I know someone I could probably get a set off of. I've got a set of 6 or 6.5" lift coils here at the house. If these give me 5" of lift, I can put them on with my 1.5" shackles and have a 6.5" lift.

I would love to see this thread edited to remove the "fluff" and made a sticky, there was quite a few ideas i just pulled from here that will save me some money, AND some things i really only knew half of the info i needed. So nice thread.

Hey Ed.....have you seen this thread where mscans has condensed and just put the parts info?

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=951380

I needs to be updated a bit, but from what I could tell, it is fairly complete.

Ian

I talked to a CJ guy about the commandos... he said the 2WD cjs and commandos may have had coil springs. But thats a rare beast if they even do have coils.

Maybe the guy meant the front commando leafs would give the rear XJ 5 ish lift

I talked to a CJ guy about the commandos... he said the 2WD cjs and commandos may have had coil springs. But thats a rare beast if they even do have coils.

Maybe the guy meant the front commando leafs would give the rear XJ 5 ish lift

Maybe...? I'm going to talk to him some this weekend. I'll pick his brain a little more...

I'm wondering if the coil size is the same at the bottom where it sits on the axle. if its a smaller circle in the coil you will have bought them and be stuck.

maybe if theres an xj at yer yard, try before you buy?
Mine are the same on my 96 cherokee ,also wondering about difference in spring thickness?

Back