• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Compass

I had a 97 Impreza wagon and it was the one I never should have sold. I drove a 2010 Outback Wagon, PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicle) model and while the car was very nice, that engine was a DOG. It was damn near impossible to pass anyone at cruising speed. It did get 30mpg overall while we had it for 10 days, though, so that's nice.

The new Impreza have the two-toned body panels painted on instead of actually being different pieces and it looks FUGLY.

I have an '09 Patriot (same chassis/powertrain as Compass) and its a good little rig. Got the 5-speed, so I get up around 26-27 mpg on average, not bad for a 4x4. Works great in the winter, the 4x4 is all automatic, don't have to touch anything. They give you a little lever to pull to "lock" the 4x4 in, but you can just leave that alone. Very functional rig for the money.

Both the Patriot and Compass are getting a Facelift for 2011:

http://www.secretnewcars.com/SpyShots/Jeep_Compass_gets_facelift

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...lift-improved-interior-and-added-content.html
So the 4x4 is some screwy hokey ass electric motor shifted case or intricate mechanical disaster that's gonna break? I like my NP231 with its simplicity and the fact that if I really get screwed by the shift lever linkage, I can crawl underneath with a prybar, rip the linkage off, and shift it into 4lo by hand... and it will stay there till I tell it not to.

I actually like the Patriot. It's no Cherokee, but at least it looks presentable.
The Compass is a different story altogether.
Yeah, I like the Patriots too, as a small SUV. I just still don't like their origins...:)

So the 4x4 is some screwy hokey ass electric motor shifted case or intricate mechanical disaster that's gonna break? I like my NP231 with its simplicity and the fact that if I really get screwed by the shift lever linkage, I can crawl underneath with a prybar, rip the linkage off, and shift it into 4lo by hand... and it will stay there till I tell it not to.

Something like that, but I don't buy the "minimizing power-robbing friction and inertia" bit since all the components are still rotating...

NEW TECHNOLOGY CREATES JEEP 4X4 CAPABILITY
An electronically controlled coupling (ECC), which is attached to the Patriot’s rear differential, is the heart of Jeep Patriot’s Freedom Drive I and Freedom Drive II Off-road Package four-wheel-drive systems. Patriot’s ECC system is easier to calibrate, more flexible, more precise and lighter than viscous-coupling or gerotor systems.

The ECC transmits torque to the Patriot’s rear wheels through a two-stage clutch system. An electromagnet powered by current from the electronic control module operates a low-torque clutch. A cam-and-ball mechanism amplifies the force of the low-torque clutch, applying the main clutch that transmits torque to the rear wheels. The control module calculates vehicle speed, turning radius and wheel slip and transfers torque based on these conditions. The unit seamlessly interacts with the Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Anti-lock Brakes (ABS) and Brake Traction Control systems to ensure torque is transferred as needed, providing better handling and traction characteristics.

Unlike other on-demand four-wheel-drive systems that rely on pumps or viscous fluids to transfer torque, the Jeep Patriot’s four-wheel-drive system requires no front-to-rear slippage for activation. Patriot’s state-of-the-art electronic four-wheel-drive system anticipates the need for added traction and responds to wheel slippage by automatically transferring power to the rear wheels. The system contributes to Patriot’s excellent fuel economy by operating only when needed, minimizing power-robbing friction and inertia.

Back