• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Compass

I'm not sure what exact model it is but Subaru offered a forester with the WRX Sti engine in it. They are usually a lot cheaper than a WRX and so is the insurance. My buddy has one that he does the auto cross thing with. That car is nothing short of bad ass. Granted he lowered it two inches and hopped it up. I think he is pushing around 450HP. Nothing pisses the mustang guys off like getting their buts handed to them by a boxy little wagon.

Shit, I don't spend 20k on anything except real estate.

I have spent a grand total of 6700 dollars purchasing vehicles, and I have four of them. Aftermarket upgrades, repairs, and parts MIGHT bring that to 18k.
I'm at 23,100 and 9 vehicles between myself and my wife. The most expensive was my 92 Trooper at 7605. It was a lemon that broke 3 and lost 2 bolts that held the accessories to the front of the engine 7 hrs away from base, and then grenaded the transmission 2 months later 2 hrs from base. I bought it in March and it was repo'd from impound (couldn't rescue it and decided to give up on the thing) in September.

The Compass is a Dodge Caliber with a Jeep grill and round headlights. Crappy little vehicle. I drove one when I worked in the car rental business and it was the worst vehicle I drove. Which says a lot since there were 3 different Hyundais, 3 Kias, and the Aveo included in the list of stuff I drove. The Aveo made my right foot fall asleep, but it never tried to play chicken with oncoming traffic. As I went around a curve that I drove with pretty much everything, the Compass hit the rumble strip and skittered across the lane into the center lane before it caught traction again. The Aveo didn't do that, the Liberty didn't do that, the Hyundai Accent/Kia Rio didn't do that, my Jeep didn't even do that

The Forester starts at $20k, the Impreza at $17k. You could buy and Impreza and get a better car, still with AWD (the Compass does not have 4wd, but AWD) for about the same price. You said mpg is more important than power, so get yourself a brand new version of the WRX, without the turbo and considerably better gas mileage.

Buy another XJ or ten :roflmao:

I had a blown head gasket in the M54 and was halfway through a tranny swap on the 96 XJ and I still had two vehicles I could drive to work. It was pretty nice.

I was thinking the same thing, you could get one or two that are the same year was what you already have, then have more money to drop on the trail rig and have parts compatibility between all the vehicles, just in case:thumbup:

I had a Compass (AWD, automatic) back in April/May as a loaner vehicle while the Crossfire was tied up waiting for parts for a week. My verdict: avoid it - and I say that as someone who has no objections to Jeep wanting to build a vehicle like this.

My main issues with it were power (it had none), fuel economy (not at all good), and overall quality (cheap and it showed). It basically drove OK, if not particularly remarkably so. Took it up a couple of the local fire trails and it did fine... But then, so did the guy coming the other way in the Chevy Lumina. The AWD would probably be helpful in bad weather or if someone got brave enough to take it onto the beach, but its trail capabilities are *very* limited.

If you're seriously considering something like this, my advice would be to check out the Subaru Forester. It's closer sizewise to the Compass/Patriot than the Outback, but Subaru has been doing the AWD/4WD car thing now for 35 years and has that act sewn-up. For a left-field choice, take a look at the Suzuki SX/4 - it's smaller and definitely more road-biased, but still surprisingly capable.

I say buy another stock XJ, we have 5 XJ's and love them all. We bought a new JK 2 door Sahara in '08 and its okay but its not a XJ (stupid 3.8 "Gutless" v-6).

I treated myself to a new '09 Hemi Commander last year and I love that thing! It was my first "new" car in 20 years, its my DD and even with 380hp in a 5k beast, I get 13mpg in town and 20 on the highway. I can tow the trail pig with it or haul the family to the beach. It is the best 4wd that we have in the snow, does better than the XJ's, and the JK is too light to go in deep snow like we had last year.

Compass/Patriot=YUK! Don't like them and won't own them.

I say buy another stock XJ, we have 5 XJ's and love them all. We bought a new JK 2 door Sahara in '08 and its okay but its not a XJ (stupid 3.8 "Gutless" v-6).

I treated myself to a new '09 Hemi Commander last year and I love that thing! It was my first "new" car in 20 years, its my DD and even with 380hp in a 5k beast, I get 13mpg in town and 20 on the highway. I can tow the trail pig with it or haul the family to the beach. It is the best 4wd that we have in the snow, does better than the XJ's, and the JK is too light to go in deep snow like we had last year.

Compass/Patriot=YUK! Don't like them and won't own them.

X2 Just spend 2-3 grand on a clean late model XJ. you can get 20 MPG's in style. There is honestly not another vehicle I would buy for serious use.

Its based of the dodge caliber i believe, and i have exp. with that and that was the most uncomfortable, underpowered, obnoxious i have been in. than god it was a rental. oh and it was awful in stop and go traffic in New England.

I am glad I am hearing all this from you guys that have experience with the vehicle. On the contrary, I think the Rallye edition is a sharp looking SUV. Too bad they couldn't do better than a 4 cyl and a goofy transmission... Oh well, plenty other cars out there :-/

The reason I want to go new is because I want to have a car to just drive. My XJ is plenty to work on, and soon I will be tending to a 72 Cutlass which needs more than my XJ at the moment. On top of that, looking for a house, starting a part-time business, and my full time job. Wheew!

Buying used, even low miles, there can be issues, especially if I go with something like a WRX. There is no coverage from the dealership, worse financing... For as much as I am willing to spend, new is best for me.

Thanks guys. Keep suggestions coming.

If you want something fun, try a Mazda 3, or a Scion TC, Honda civic SI, VW golf GTI. there fun affordable, Tuneable(a major +) and offer great MPG.

oh what about a diesel? I guess if I was FORCED to drive a small sedan I would get one of those Volkswagen TDI's or a BMW D series :shhh:

Its based of the dodge caliber i believe, and i have exp. with that and that was the most uncomfortable, underpowered, obnoxious i have been in. than god it was a rental. oh and it was awful in stop and go traffic in New England.
Yup same design family.

My room mate had a Compass, CS the Cherokee it was a car... Low to the ground, Good Mileage, IFS, a little slow off the line. Three warrantee issues in 6 months...

Oh, Lots of plastic!

oh what about a diesel? I guess if I was FORCED to drive a small sedan I would get one of those Volkswagen TDI's or a BMW D series :shhh:

My best car buy ever was the VW TDI, the jeep is fun but to get 50mpg and still be able to drive like an a -hole. :rof:

I bought mine used, put a new clutch on it and besides oil changes have not had any issues for a 10 year old car, and I have put close to 20,000 miles in under a year on it.

I bought a brand new Honda Accord back in 06 because I was tired of messing with my daily driver (had a Mustang GT before). I still have it today, making it the longest I've ever retained a vehicle.

And I don't think I'm ever getting rid of it. Plenty of power for daily driving, a smooth 5spd that makes it somewhat enjoyable to drive, 30mpg even with my lead foot.

If you don't need the AWD... look at a Honda.

Yup same design family.

My room mate had a Compass, CS the Cherokee it was a car... Low to the ground, Good Mileage, IFS, a little slow off the line. Three warrantee issues in 6 months...

Oh, Lots of plastic!
More than just design family, same chassis, engine, suspension, body, pretty much all they changed were the grille and headlights. I've not been impressed by either the Compass or Caliber. The Patriot is ok looking but still a Caliber under the Jeepier body.

I've test drove both the comp and the pat and I can say I disliked a cars performance or style but these both were the worse cars. I would rather rebuild my 1980 4banger chevet yep that was my hand me down learn to drive car 4 door hatch back and I would take that anyday over either of those two jeeps

Back