• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Compass

4WDlifeform

NAXJA Forum User
Any of you guys/girls out there own or have driven a Jeep Compass?

I have been looking to get a DD to allow me to spend time on the XJ... Really wanted (and still do) an 07 Subaru WRX. But, they cost as much as most new cars today that could be equivalent. Most deals with dealerships (like warrenties and financing) would be better than buying a used, somewhat new, car.

The Jeep Compass has really rubbed off on my lately, expecially the Rallye... I started thinking, I need a gas efficient commuter, with AWD... spent aot of time comparing CARS. then thought, hell, this Compass is alot like, well, a CAR, more so than a Jeep. But, its still a Jeep!

Only thing that keeps me from it is the MOTOR. 176hp 4cyl is the best they could do!?

Just if anyone has any experience or thoughts with one, I'd like to hear it. Thanks!

I refuse to buy a Compass for any reason.

If you are going to buy a piece of crap commuter car, just do it. Don't try to find one that is almost a jeep, when the weather is lousy you should either drive the jeep or use the weather as an excuse to stay home from work and work on the jeep.

Oh... remember that the transmission in those is a funky CVT thing, you can't change the fluid, you can't service it, hell the dealer can't service it iirc. They send the whole unit to the manufacturer.

Got to Hertz Car Sales, buy the cheapest POC on the lot and call it good.

I have purchased two disposables from Hertz; the 1997 Mercury Tracer in 1998 w/31K and the 2001 Mazda Protoge in 2003 w/28K both are still running, 187K and 166K respectfully.

The 00XJ only sees weekend duty now.

You could probably buy a year-old Outback for what the Compass/Patriot sell for new, and you'd have a vastly superior vehicle. We traded a cherry '98 ZJ on a new '04 OB back in November of '03. Bought the ZJ new in June '98, took excellent care of it, maintenance, etc. But it started nickel and diming us. How many fuel pumps, O2 sensors, PS pumps, leaky sunroofs do you need to experience before you give up? It stickered for $34k, barely five years and 67k miles later,we got $8k! Subies the same age sell for much more, holding a bigger chunk of their value. And, you'll probably see up to 50% better MPGs. On a long trip, I rutinely see 31-32 MPGs. If my DD '96 ever gives it up, I wouldn't hesitate to get another Subie.

theres a guy at my work who drives a compass and he absolutely loves it. its a car with 4wd, not all wheel drive. it gets alot of shat for being a jeep car, but i dont think its that bad. (i can feel the banhammer warming up...)

Well... I test drove one today by accident... Stopped at a dealership in passing, and thought, hell, why not get close to it. Thought they would have been closed, but a salesman comes out dangling keys haha.

Overall, I liked it. It feels laggy. Very weak engine, and slow reacting transmission, but I was kind of expecting that. I didn't get to run it on curvy roads... I may drive it again...

Maybe you guys can help me out, since no one is going to be happy that I like the compass (haha). I need something with AWD. Good gas mileage out ways power. I just want to be able to drive. No shifting gears. No mods. no fixing things. If I buy a brand new car (whatever it may be) I will not have to touch it, other than changing the oil and filling the washer fluid. Better finance, and like most brand new vehicles, they are covered 100,000 miles... so if that wonderful CVT "transaxle" decides to crap out, no cost for me. I doubt I'd even own this for 100,000 miles.

And one last thing to give to the compass... I like the style. Cool, sporty SUV. It can serve alot of purpose, its roomy... Its a good fit for me. But, I'm wide open on this!

Inspire.....

theres a guy at my work who drives a compass and he absolutely loves it. its a car with 4wd, not all wheel drive. it gets alot of shat for being a jeep car, but i dont think its that bad. (i can feel the banhammer warming up...)

hahaha Glad to hear something good! I get the banhammer all the time on here... Just dont EVER mention PVC coil spacers!! oh boy.... :twak:

it isn't the banhammer unless you're actually banned with it, and that's not happening (afaik.)

I say get a subie... a used one, like an outback or something. Whatever's in the budget.

he honestly loves the compass, id test drive a few tho. and check out jeepforum, they have an entire section devoted to compass owners.

on a side note, if you end up modding and wheeling this compass, full with long arms and 42's, ill love you forever

Idk about the compass but the patriot looks pretty cool... :D

PatriotFrQtr.jpg

on a side note, if you end up modding and wheeling this compass, full with long arms and 42's, ill love you forever

HA! I'd rather lift my moms mustang!! at least one of the axles is solid in that!!

But no... This thing will only see as bad as a rainy day.

I still think buying new is the way to go, mainly for the great financing, and warranties. The smell is a bonus! Some of the WRXs I'd like to get cost about the same as this compass... just shy of 20k. I guess that is about my range.

Are there really any other good AWDs out there?? There really seems to be none...

Shit, I don't spend 20k on anything except real estate.

I have spent a grand total of 6700 dollars purchasing vehicles, and I have four of them. Aftermarket upgrades, repairs, and parts MIGHT bring that to 18k.

Shit, I don't spend 20k on anything except real estate.

I have spent a grand total of 6700 dollars purchasing vehicles, and I have four of them. Aftermarket upgrades, repairs, and parts MIGHT bring that to 18k.

Yeah... I just want to drop the cash up front so I can actually spend time driving for once haha I will always have my XJ to feed....

Some of the WRXs I'd like to get cost about the same as this compass... just shy of 20k. I guess that is about my range.

Are there really any other good AWDs out there?? There really seems to be none...

I personally would never touch a used 'performance' car, as they've more than likely had the snot wrung out of them. Used, non turbo Subie-that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Yeah... I just want to drop the cash up front so I can actually spend time driving for once haha I will always have my XJ to feed....
Buy another XJ or ten :roflmao:

I had a blown head gasket in the M54 and was halfway through a tranny swap on the 96 XJ and I still had two vehicles I could drive to work. It was pretty nice.

Any of you guys/girls out there own or have driven a Jeep Compass?

I have been looking to get a DD to allow me to spend time on the XJ... Really wanted (and still do) an 07 Subaru WRX. But, they cost as much as most new cars today that could be equivalent. Most deals with dealerships (like warrenties and financing) would be better than buying a used, somewhat new, car.

The Jeep Compass has really rubbed off on my lately, expecially the Rallye... I started thinking, I need a gas efficient commuter, with AWD... spent aot of time comparing CARS. then thought, hell, this Compass is alot like, well, a CAR, more so than a Jeep. But, its still a Jeep!

Only thing that keeps me from it is the MOTOR. 176hp 4cyl is the best they could do!?

Just if anyone has any experience or thoughts with one, I'd like to hear it. Thanks!

If you still want a wrx I know 90xjgirl wants to get rid of hers. It's that electric blue color.

If you still want a wrx I know 90xjgirl wants to get rid of hers. It's that electric blue color.

Colorado to pennsylvania is unfortunately a hell of a haul.

Back