• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Compass

Funny, I was going to mention that. You bought an XJ, and were quite enthusiastic about it, despite the problems. I wouldn't have bought it, for my own reasons, but it seems to have worked out for you. The same can be said about many vehicles, and many opinions. That's why there are so many cars, of so many types (and the shit I hate, 5 different "models" under 2 or 3 brands that are all exactly the same car with different plastic pieces stuck on them) in the first place.

We've established that the things other people care about in a car, don't really matter to you. That's not necessarily wrong or bad, but it is what it is. If it makes you happy, buy it. I personally hate it, but I'm sure my friends can't understand why I'm so attached to an outdated station wagon with 4WD that rides like a truck and makes strange noises. We all like different things about different cars for different reasons.

Great post! I couldn't agree more! I would consider myself a smart shopper. Like the XJ, I had the time to find the right one. I spent about a month and a half looking at XJs nearly every day before I landed on the one I got. I will be doing the same with my DD. Its going to be the first real big investment of my life... sure as hell not going to mess it up.

I will get it if that's what I want... I like to come here for insight and direction. Obviously, there is a massive prejudice against this vehicle on here, I get it. It basically sucks. I realize that. BUT not looking to buy a fast, hauling ass vehicle. I will drive it, like it was designed to be. Yes, like a PUSSY. So, don't try to bring me down like that... I already know this car has no balls.
If this is the case, why do you keep talking about the WRX?The Impreza starts around the same as a Compass, should have better gas mileage, will have better handling, look better, etc etc. It also won't have WRX insurance rates. The WRX is the Impreza with turbo and better suspension.

Sounds to me like you should buy an Impreza, all the parts to install the turbo and suspension from a WRX, and not tell them :shhh:

If this is the case, why do you keep talking about the WRX?The Impreza starts around the same as a Compass, should have better gas mileage, will have better handling, look better, etc etc. It also won't have WRX insurance rates. The WRX is the Impreza with turbo and better suspension.

My original intent was to get an 07 WRX when I got my job. I started thinking, I would be better off just buying something brand new. So, im still considering the WRX, but 2010 now. I like the older body styles better... but, not enough to buy a used performance car, when I can afford a new one.

The compass was something I kinda came across by accident. Unlike most people, I actually like the styling of it, its AWD, and affordable. Alot cheaper on insurance, and ticket price is about 3k less than WRX. Hopefully I can get behind a WRX and see how it is. Also working on finding best deal on insurance.

My original intent was to get an 07 WRX when I got my job. I started thinking, I would be better off just buying something brand new. So, im still considering the WRX, but 2010 now. I like the older body styles better... but, not enough to buy a used performance car, when I can afford a new one.

Nothing against the WRX - and if that's what you're really set on, get it and enjoy it. It's a good car, and I'm with you in that I prefer the previous model both in terms of how it looks and drives.

The compass was something I kinda came across by accident. Unlike most people, I actually like the styling of it, its AWD, and affordable.

Here's the thing: if you want the performance, you will *never* have it in the Compass. Yeah, you can get some of the looks with the Rallye, but that's it - and to put this in perspective, you'll have roughly the same performance as my '86 Subaru Brat with lesser fuel economy.

I know that I said this before, but it bears repeating: Subaru figured out the 4WD/AWD car thing 35 years ago. Jeep has a lot of catching-up to do in that department, and while the Compass and Patriot have a lot of the right ingredients they don't quite add up to a cake.

Also working on finding best deal on insurance.

You're probably going to find that the Forester XT is a *lot* better in that regard. Give one a shot; you may be surprised by how well something that looks like it does actually moves and handles. My pick would be for the previous generation (smaller, lighter, more nimble), but the current one's a good driver as well. Manual transmission FTW in either one.

The compass was something I kinda came across by accident. Unlike most people, I actually like the styling of it, its AWD, and affordable. Alot cheaper on insurance, and ticket price is about 3k less than WRX. Hopefully I can get behind a WRX and see how it is. Also working on finding best deal on insurance.
But again, if cost is swaying you to the Compass, the Impreza, not WRX, but Impreza is very similar cost-wise. Your insurance won't be an issue as the Impreza doesn't have the WRX's insurance premiums. MPG will be better all around, as will handling, and reliability since you don't have to worry about the CVT. I'm wary of a Jeep CVT, nothing against them, but late model Jeeps haven't been impressing me.

In case I missed it, did no one mention the Subaru Legacy GT? Those things are sleepers, and aren't as ugly, in my opinion, as the WRX.

Against my advice, my younger brother picked up a new Patriot. He loves it...says the engine is a dog, but otherwise loves the look, feel, and drive of it. They look a lot more like XJ's then the Compass.

I plan to do some test driving this weekend. Hope to get behind both the WRX impreza, and the 2.5i just to see what all the extra 5000 is getting me (if i get a WRX)...

And, may check this out:
http://www.nissanusa.com/juke/?intcmp=2011_Juke.Promo.Homepage.Home.P2

My girl caught it on TV, and thought it looked neat... meets everything i am looking for, but.... its kinda... ugly??? I love the interior though! getting mixed feelings from the body style...

I think the Juke's pretty cool myself; if I were looking for something comparable to the Compass, thats probably where my money would go. Or a Honda Fit, but they don't come in AWD.

I've driven a Legacy with the 2.5 in it. I thought it was plenty peppy, and that's a bigger car than the Impreza. The extra 5 grand gets you power, suspension, a couple more niceties inside, better tires and wheels. If you can swing the WRX and the insurance, that'd be my bet, but if you're looking to save cash, I don't think you'll be lacking in an Impreza either.

I think the Juke's pretty cool myself; if I were looking for something comparable to the Compass, thats probably where my money would go.

The Juke isn't bad in my book, and I actually kind of like the styling - that's not to say that it's the greatest thing I've ever seen, but rather that it's different in a world of me-too designs. It drives OK, but it's more car-like than, say, a RAV-4 or CR-V. I'd still pick the Forester over any of those three, however.

Or a Honda Fit, but they don't come in AWD.

Check out the Suzuki SX/4 - it's about equivalent to the Fit sizewise, and can be had with AWD. Surprisingly capable for what it is, too.

I've driven a Legacy with the 2.5 in it. I thought it was plenty peppy, and that's a bigger car than the Impreza.

What I can't figure out is how that engine feels OK in the Legacy, but struggles a bit in the Outback - and I've noticed this across the last three generations of Legacies & Outbacks. There's not much difference between the two, either.

The extra 5 grand gets you power, suspension, a couple more niceties inside, better tires and wheels. If you can swing the WRX and the insurance, that'd be my bet, but if you're looking to save cash, I don't think you'll be lacking in an Impreza either.

Left-field choice: the Baja. Granted, it's a love-it-or-hate-it-at-first-glance vehicle, but the turbos get up and move pretty well with decent handling and brakes to suit. Insurance isn't bad either. Totally understand if this has no appeal for you, though - I like Subarus and I've tried hard to like the Baja, but every time I've driven one it just hasn't got under my skin enough that it goes home with me.

What I can't figure out is how that engine feels OK in the Legacy, but struggles a bit in the Outback - and I've noticed this across the last three generations of Legacies & Outbacks. There's not much difference between the two, either.

We have an '04 OBW (Outback Wagon), and my daughter has an '05 Legacy 2.5. I will agree that the Legacy seems to have more zip, but I think maybe it's the weight, as the wagon is heavier. Also, for '05, they re-mapped the tranny shifting, and added Auto Stick to it. Newer ones can be made to shift, but also shift at more appropriate times, when left in drive, unlike the '04 and down. If you need to downshift, either by shifter or accelerator, they take forever to upshift again. Probably the only thing wrong with the whole car.

I have always heard great for subarus. My roomate in college was a massive enthusiast, and just seems to gather a good crowed like us jeep folks. Just for that respect, I'd like to become part of that kind of community, and makes me lean toward the subaru.

I called some Nissan dealers about that Juke, and apparently its being released late? no one in my area is going to have them untill November... Bummer, cause I was actually looking forward to checking that out. Maybe if this whole car buyin thing gets delayed....

As for the Baja thing, i have always had a spot in my heart for it! But, its just not what I'm lookin for right now. Like I said, doing what I can to get something 100% new.

At this point, I'm really thinking 2.5i Premium. I can get all the features I want, good sound, sun roof, etc... right around 20k. WRK is going to be tough to get below 22k it seems, and that would be just the base model WRX... Unless I am completely blown away durring the test drives, I find my money going toward 2.5i.

We have an '04 OBW (Outback Wagon), and my daughter has an '05 Legacy 2.5. I will agree that the Legacy seems to have more zip, but I think maybe it's the weight, as the wagon is heavier.

Fair point - but I should have mentioned that when I did this comparison it was wagon-to-wagon. Both were manuals, FWIW.

Also, for '05, they re-mapped the tranny shifting, and added Auto Stick to it. Newer ones can be made to shift, but also shift at more appropriate times, when left in drive, unlike the '04 and down. If you need to downshift, either by shifter or accelerator, they take forever to upshift again. Probably the only thing wrong with the whole car.

Understood. We have an '07 OBW with the H6 and 5-speed auto, and I'm not very keen on the gearbox. On-road I typically use 'Sport' mode so that it shifts and holds gear a little more aggressively; other than times where I've needed to control a descent or takeoff on mud or snow, I've almost never shifted it manually. It works well enough, but the 'normal' mode seems to like hunting on even mild hills and takes a while to respond under certain throttle inputs at particular speeds.

H6s also got an electronically-controlled AWD system that was unique to them, and in certain circumstances it's almost too smart for its own good compared to what the 4-cylinder models come with. There are two reproducible cases where I can make it go ape trying to figure out where to send power to the detriment of forward motion leading to a near-stall. If it just had a switch to lock the torque split at 50:50 front/rear, it'd be fine, but nobody thought to include that $3 feature (or a centre diff lock).

I like the car overall and if I had no prior 4WD / AWD experience would probably think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, because it really does work well 98% of the time - it's just that those 2% of cases are ones where I know it could be better with little effort.

Rumor is that the 2011 Compass sheet metal will resemble that of the 2011 Grand Cherokee, so if you're still interested buying one than I strongly suggest you wait. Mechanical deficiencies aside, the 2010 Compass is uglier than a baboons ass.

Re Nissan Juke. Truthfully, the damn thing's an abomination... like the Pontiac Aztek, or Accord Crossover. I'm surprised they didn't brand it the 'Nissan Puke'.

I have an '09 Patriot (same chassis/powertrain as Compass) and its a good little rig. Got the 5-speed, so I get up around 26-27 mpg on average, not bad for a 4x4. Works great in the winter, the 4x4 is all automatic, don't have to touch anything. They give you a little lever to pull to "lock" the 4x4 in, but you can just leave that alone. Very functional rig for the money.

Both the Patriot and Compass are getting a Facelift for 2011:

http://www.secretnewcars.com/SpyShots/Jeep_Compass_gets_facelift

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...lift-improved-interior-and-added-content.html

I'd go for the Jeep over the Subaru. There's just something about having only "Jeep" vehicles in your garage!

JeepGarage.jpg

Unless your second "Jeep" is actually a face transplanted Dodge econo car.

Back