• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interested in Photography

Here:
Fiance and baby:
Edit11of1-20_zps4c53601b.jpg

Baby:
Edit11of1-18_zps516c4f85.jpg

Cousins:
Edit11of1-16_zps3bfeb730.jpg

No clue whose kid this is:
Edit11of1-12_zps44cd47c9.jpg

Some other baby:
Edit11of1-9_zpsd2942187.jpg

Thoughts?

Also went through "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson
Another Amazon link

I second this. Understanding the physics behind exposure is fundamental to good photography. Once you get your head wrapped around the relationship between light, aperture, film speed, shutter speed, depth of field and dynamic range, you'll find it much easier to determine why a photo will be good or bad before you take it.

Also, practice. You should be able to get 100,000 shots out of that camera before the shutter kicks the bucket. See how quickly you can get there.

I only see two issues. The exposure is a little dark. They look ok on a bright monitor but if you printed them you would be disappointed.

Second, you broke a cardinal rule of portraits in that first photo of your fiance. Never ever cut someone off at a joint. knee, elbow, wrist. Either try to get a little below that knee or above it and you will be amazed at the difference.

I only see two issues. The exposure is a little dark. They look ok on a bright monitor but if you printed them you would be disappointed.

Second, you broke a cardinal rule of portraits in that first photo of your fiance. Never ever cut someone off at a joint. knee, elbow, wrist. Either try to get a little below that knee or above it and you will be amazed at the difference.

Since I started printing it has opened up a whole new world of colorspace that I had no idea existed.

Since I started printing it has opened up a whole new world of colorspace that I had no idea existed.

I don't print much so I haven't dug too deep into that. I just know that every time I get a photo to look perfect on the computer it's always dark when I print it.

So you think they are decent beyond that?
I think I may have tweaked the exposure a bit much in lighroom..

Ill definately remember to keep them cropped beyond joints.

So you think they are decent beyond that?
I think I may have tweaked the exposure a bit much in lighroom..

Ill definately remember to keep them cropped beyond joints.

JMHO but if you have to do much in any software you have a long way to go. Exposure should be about dead on in pictures. They don't look bad for snapshots. But I'm a purest.

I didnt do much tweaking. Just a bit here and there.

That is a good thing. If you want to see some neat stuff done on film look up Jerry Ulesman. All his stuff was done before photoshop and lightroom were invented. Hell most of his stuff was done before digital camers came out.

That is a good thing. If you want to see some neat stuff done on film look up Jerry Ulesman. All his stuff was done before photoshop and lightroom were invented. Hell most of his stuff was done before digital camers came out.

Glenn, it's 2013. What's this nonsense about film?

Back