• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interested in Photography

DaveS98

NAXJA Forum User
Starting to research a lot and am becoming intrigued..of course another expensive hobby...but I realize there is money to be made.

Bought a t3i with the kit lens and will be picking up a 55-250 lens tomorrow. I've been dicking around with Lightroom and have done some cool stuff.
Anyone else do any shooting? Share some work..
Any opinions on these:
5amepa2y.jpg
vubejuby.jpg
ataze6en.jpg

Yep... all film atm. BFA in Art/Photography actually. Then I had twins. Had to put the camera down and get a job with insurance. Sense then film went bye-bye and the cost I use to incur just for a session is nonexistent and every one with a camera thinks they are professionals. I've used everything from 35mm - 4x5 at one time or another. Scary to think that the 35mm ccd's are approaching the resolution of medium format that use to be the standard for a professional. However, I have yet to see the saturation and highlight and shadow details from what I call straight shooting I can get with transparencies. Closest I have seen is the HDR but that is not straight shooting. I'm hoping to branch out into digital in the next year or so. Twins are 14 so they are at a point where they want to do their on thing almost.... Photography is fun. I'm not a big fan of Photoshop and light room. I guess if you want to fix your mistakes its great but I prefer to try and make my images in the camera.

As for your images... the sticker is neat. The trashcan is an eyesore. Look thoroughly through your camera take your time and move stuff like that.... ;) I'd like to see them unmolested. Also if you put each img tag on a line it does not make them so wide you have to scroll side to side to see them.

Last edited:
link to my flickr page in my sig. the "new" style atm is the instagram thing... so really tight DoF pics and weird saturations. it can be done right and tastefully, and can be really overdone. photography is mostly about playing on your own and learning as you go imho... just overlook everything 3-4 times and you'll notice stuff you didnt.. like that garbage can, or a light post sticking out of someone's butt.

Yep... all film atm. BFA in Art/Photography actually. Then I had twins. Had to put the camera down and get a job with insurance. Sense then film went bye-bye and the cost I use to incur just for a session is nonexistent and every one with a camera thinks they are professionals. I've used everything from 35mm - 4x5 at one time or another. Scary to think that the 35mm ccd's are approaching the resolution of medium format that use to be the standard for a professional. However, I have yet to see the saturation and highlight and shadow details from what I call straight shooting I can get with transparencies. Closest I have seen is the HDR but that is not straight shooting. I'm hoping to branch out into digital in the next year or so. Twins are 14 so they are at a point where they want to do their on thing almost.... Photography is fun. I'm not a big fan of Photoshop and light room. I guess if you want to fix your mistakes its great but I prefer to try and make my images in the camera.

As for your images... the sticker is neat. The trashcan is an eyesore. Look thoroughly through your camera take your time and move stuff like that.... ;) I'd like to see them unmolested. Also if you put each img tag on a line it does not make them so wide you have to scroll side to side to see them.
Thats funny....I still have a 4x5 in my office.

Thats funny....I still have a 4x5 in my office.

Me too. Grafic View. What is yours? I also have a Darkroom set up at my house.

These were literally my first pics with a dslr lol. Right after a jeep wash...just grabbed the new canon and went to shooting. Wasn't trying to make anything special just something cool. The trash can is an eyesore I agree.

XJLI..
This is xj88 from cherokee forum..I think we have talked previously about some generic photog questions..I've gone through your Flickr account a time or two..really cool stuff. Inspiring.

Still reading a lot of stuff as far as learning about aperature, and shutter speeds..etc.

Lots of stuff to learn.

You can read for days and days. I did.

Ya just gotta do it and figure it out.

I'm still in the very beginning of the learning stage but refuse to use Auto.

I need to shoot more often.

A famous photographer once said that the first 10,000 photos you shoot will be your worst.

Get out, shoot a lot, read a lot, watch youtube a lot, find photographers that seem to fit your style and follow them, get on sites like www.500px.com and look at hundreds of thousands of photos.

All these things will make you better.

DON'T!!!! ask for opinions on your photos the net from anonymous sources quite yet. Most people giving opinions are rude and don't know what they are talking about anyway. Just keep doing your thing, you'll grow into it.

DON'T!!!! ask for opinions on your photos the net from anonymous sources quite yet. Most people giving opinions are rude and don't know what they are talking about anyway. Just keep doing your thing, you'll grow into it.

Yeah, I learned that the hard way... lol

It's actually quite depressing. You think you have something nice and someone informs you that it's the worst shot they've ever seen.

Yea, I joined a photog forum and got thrashed..

Any recommendations for very bright sunlight pictures of people? I tried using just program mode, setting ISO at around 400-600 and left the shutter speed alone, pictures just kept coming out dark. Even bumping up the ISO they seemed to come out dark..even in auto.

Ill upload some later.

Back