• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intake Hood Clearance

Alexia

NAXJA Forum User
Anything like a low clearance adapter or something I could use in this situation? I wanted to use the stock air box with a larger intake tube, but even after cutting down this 3" inner diameter bend it needs about 2" of more clearance to fit.

gallery_1_12_95335.jpg

I ran into similar issues with my truck project.
Check these out.
Intakehoses.com & / Or Siliconeintakes.com (same company, different inventory & site) will have what you need.

Looks like I would still need 0.5" of clearance even with the 3" Cobra Head elbow. It would clear pointing backwards towards the cowl, but I am definitely avoiding running a cowl intake.

Is it top layer sheet metal or stiffening rib that is interfering for the last 1/2"?

Should be be able to notch a half each out of the stiffener but I don't have it in front of me.

Is it top layer sheet metal or stiffening rib that is interfering for the last 1/2"?

Should be be able to notch a half each out of the stiffener but I don't have it in front of me.

It is actually the top sheet metal of the hood. It looks like the Cobra Head elbow is rounded around the edges so it might actually clear. I am going to pick it up and see how it goes. Even if it rubs whatever else I do to solve the clearance issue, like a small motor mount drop, will be lessened by having it.

Do some kind of blister, keep it clean/smooth. Like on a E46 M3 or first gen Miata or similar.

I wish they made a 3.5" Cobra Head elbow. I might end up with the 4" one when I swap the 4.7l tb in.

I have no plans to put a cowl hood on this. It is painted and I would prefer not to paint match later.

The parts will be here within a week so I will find out if it just barely clears.

Never seen a cobra head elbow before. Searching, I can't find any flow comparisons between a regular 90 degree hose and a cobra head elbow. The stock air intake hose reduces to about 2-1/2" inside and would seem to be restrictive, with the convolutions adding even more resistance.
Switching to 3" smooth intake hoses can't hurt.

I was correct. I still need 0.5" of clearance with the Cobra Head Elbow. It fits pointing back towards the cowl though.

As a temporary fix, you could install 1" spacers on the hood hinges.
Can't say I like the look but it would provide the needed clearance until coming up with something better.

Rocket Parts has an Air intake that aims up and over a rocker cover, towards your passenger side, and it seats low upon a throttle body. I admit I'm a bit jealous of that Sprintex SC. Do I dare ask, 1 2 3 Grand or more? Maybe a little less jealous now.:eeks1: lol.

Is the sprintex putting the throttle body that high? Maybe take a look at OGS' thread to see what he did.

The Sprintex raises it up about 0.5"; that exact amount I need back. The issue is me trying to be clever with increasing the size of the intake tube.

Rocket Parts has an Air intake that aims up and over a rocker cover, towards your passenger side, and it seats low upon a throttle body. I admit I'm a bit jealous of that Sprintex SC. Do I dare ask, 1 2 3 Grand or more? Maybe a little less jealous now.:eeks1: lol.

I was thinking about doing similar with the extra exhaust tube I have laying around. Pipe it backwards and over the brake booster down into the custom filter housing.

I also think part of the problem is the throttle body you are using. Those two bare aluminum rings are putting the intake tube higher than a stock TB as well as the taller height of where the tub attaches. You might consider taking it off, stripping it down and have a machine shop turn down those two rings until the lower one is just a small flange so the tube will seat in that area. Then cut the top of the throttle body off so it doesn't extend into the tube so much. IIRC OGS did a similar modification to his F&B tb.

Back