• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Theory about passenger side water leaks

chrisser

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of replacing the rockers on my XJ. So it's in the garage with all four doors off, fenders off, interior gutted.

With the crappy temperatures this spring, I've had a lot of stalls because it's not warm enough for primer/paint/sealant to dry. In other words, been staring at the poor thing a lot thinking.

So I have the passenger side water leak when it rains. Recently replaced the windshield and I'm confident that's not the cause. Been reading on the forums and it seems the most likely culprits are - cowl leakage around air intake, leakage at the blower motor, running down the antenna feed, running past the door seals.

When I took my fenders off, I noticed a lot of the sealant on the edges of the cowl panel dried up and fell off. This might be causing leakage around the door - I'm going to pour some water and see what happens.

But here's the reason for my post. I noticed my hinge to cowl seals are missing. They don't appear to be available OEM or aftermarket. I also noticed that if you shine a light into the hole where the hinge arm receeds, you can see the lip of the air intake and it's at about the same level as the bottom of the hinge hole.

So here's my theory. Water doesn't drain out of the cowl fast enough. If your hinge seals are intact, the water rises and floods the air intake. If your hinge seals are missing, water pours out right onto the shelf that pours water into the blower motor.

Wondering if that corresponds with what you guys have experienced with water leaks - did you have a cowl intake leak even with missing hood hinge seals? Did you have a blower leak even with hood hinge seal in place?

After all these years, it probably doesn't matter much, but curiosity got the best of me so I thought I'd post.

I ordered some spongy foam rubber sealant to make my own hood hinge seals, only because I want to keep engine fumes from potentially getting into the air intake if something bad should happen while wifey is driving.

Might want to check inside engine compartment.
Passenger side fire wall, the HVAC (big round) intake is about 1/4" up from wheel fender.
1/4" can easily get filled with dirt/grim.

I had pine needles pointing directing water straight into the intake.
That's all it really took.

Used seam sealer to build a barrier at the bottom of the intake.

GL

The foam seal between the HVAC Box and the firewall is also a common leak point as the truck ages - had to replace that on my '92 back in 2008...

Back