• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I want to weld!

I learned how to weld with oxy-acetylene torches. Knowing how to work the pool and get the proper penetration is really important. I do alot of TIG welding at work which is pretty much oxy-acetylene but with an electric arc and different gas. The really fun stuff to weld is nasty old aluminum cylinder heads with porousity issues.
And X2 on the class. Check into local community colleges, mine had a good intro to welding.

~Alex

alex22 said:
The really fun stuff to weld is nasty old aluminum cylinder heads with porousity issues.

briggs and stratton blocks are terrible for that.

hopefully my 1st paycheck this summer will be pruchasing a welder... thinking about the lincoln 140 power mig. my friend has one that he converted to gas and welded everything up to and including 1/4" on his very built tacoma with it and has held up just fine. it's about the technique largely though, not entirely the equipment, but it's that too !!!1

Thanks guys. Good advice. I know and respect the ability to weld something that is both strong and looks good. I'm pretty realistic and know there is much to learn and will put forth the effort and do it right.

I'm a big fan of the Hobart Handlers. 175+ and up. All 220v machines.

I started with a Century 110v and quickly eclipsed it's usefulness. I was only out $150 (pawn shop find), but it still sits in my shop set up for sheetmetal. My HH175 has never let me down, and with a little technique thrown in has welded much more than it's rated for. Best part--I got it for $125 at another pawn shop.

Back