• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I want to buy an AR..

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
I want to join the Tati-cool crowd. I've seen a lot of different variations of the guns. Possibilities seem endless. I have no idea which direction I will go with my first AR, that being said I would like to purchase a S&W M&P AR-15, Like this one. They seem cheap enough, I have a local gun dealer who gives me pretty good deals and I trust. My question is, is this a good gun to start off with? Is there better options in the $800 range? I do know the first thing I would want to do to my AR is add a quad rail up front. As far as optics, fore grips and anything else you can have, I do not know what I would do.

Build one. That's what I did and I'm pretty damn happy with that decision. Fun putting the lower together and really understanding how things work. Plus, it's "mine", not just something off a shop's shelf.

I couldn't agree with what Travis (5spd_xj) said more.

Im in the build one camp also. I bought my upper assembled however I pieced the lower together. It was cool taking a bunch of parts and ending up with a functioning firearm.

That's what makes it funnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Why does anyone NEED an assault rifle?

Seems stupid and unecessary
No one (other than LEO's) NEED(S) it.

That's why anyone who likes things that go bang should have one.

I wasnt aware that semi automatic rifle was an assault rifle. Anyways Smith and Wesson make a damn fine rifle. The sport doesnt have a forward assist or dust cover for the ejection port. You cant go wrong with a sport to start out to see if you like the platform. FWIW I built mine.

I'm not scared to build one, but I'm not knowledgable in all the laws, nor do I know the different types of parts. I dont know what parts are good or even what brands are good or bad. I really want to build or buy an AR for about $800.

I love mine, ill chime in more tomorrow but.....

425922_10150650211905926_576175925_11614851_812925721_n.jpg

my spikes tactical m4 carbide

Can't go wrong with S&W MP-15 for the price, or you could with Stag, Spikes, Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, or LMT though they cost a bit more. Avoid Bushmaster, DPMS, and Olympic Arms. As far as add ons, I suggest you start shooting your AR the way it is and learn from there what you may want. Don't waste money on NCStar optics and what not. If you live in California, definetly make sure you know the law before you build or buy.

-Eric

I have been told that RRA makes a really nice AR in the price range your looking for.

I'm in a similar boat as you and I have been researching and saving for a few months now. With the money I have saved up, right now I’m trying to choose between a Daniel Defense M4 and a Colt 6920. Or perhaps I should just get the RRA. I just don’t know if the DD or the Colt are really worth the few hundred $ more. I guess the reputation of the customer service between the manufacturers can also be a determining factor for me also.

There are so many great manufactures of ARs out there, that there might be no right or wrong answer.

i can't believe those things are legal.

if they are, they shouldn't be.

Your right! That would definitely stop all of those Evil people from getting their hands on them. They will definitely say to themselves “O No…I can’t use this gun and go through with the Evil deed that I was thinking about b/c of this law now…Dang”.
Cities that have laws like that have definitely shown the drop in shootings/murders haven’t they?

Be that as it may, lets try not to start something that will Hijack this thread. You wouldn’t want to be known for being that guy.
Thank you.

Last edited:
425922_10150650211905926_576175925_11614851_812925721_n.jpg

Are you a lefty? I ask because it seems like that mag pouch would get in the way.

Original poster, I like the Rock River Arms, if you want to buy a complete rifle. I don't own one, but I hear good things about them. Their accuracy guarantee is nice, too. 1 moa is standard for their .223, but goes down to .75 for the hunting models.

edit: Whoops C85, looks like you said it first...

Chris, Dick's sporting goods has S&W AR, you can get their store credit card and make payments on it too..

So is it a bad idea to look for used guns as your first AR? Im not too excited about buying a used gun because I wont know what to look for. As far as building one, can it be done for around $800? The reason I like the S&W AR15 is because its brand new, somewhat cheap and I figure it can't be too bad of a gun to learn about all this.

Question, do you guys have a gunsmith check it out before firing a built one? I would love to build one in the future but probably never fire it for fear of a misfire.

Question, do you guys have a gunsmith check it out before firing a built one? I would love to build one in the future but probably never fire it for fear of a misfire.

Once assembled it is pretty ease to check if it's correct, it's go / no go and all very simple. I will admit, that first shot I held it away from my face :patriot: .

There are youtube videos of people assembling a lower blind folded or little kids putting them together.

Back