• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homemade snorkel question

Gojeep said:
I run my intake through cowl induction too and works really well for me.

Filter3.jpg

Full write up on my site but of coarse you would need a cowl bonnet in the first place. ;)

What the hell is that 55 gal. drum for?
Or is that a Weber?

xj-fx said:
What the hell is that 55 gal. drum for?
Or is that a Weber?

That is what a REAL air filter looks like with a centrifical dust trap and all. :) Used usualy on graders and such to draw the heavy dust out of suspension before entering the main filter which has a much greater area. This is the only way to get better air flow AND filtering at the same time. Not just making the holes bigger like many "performance" filters that lead to an earlier death of your engine!

I like the cowl snorkel idea, but am curious what happens when it rains? I'm sure most of teh water will run out the drain holes in the box, but has anyone checked theirs afterwards to see how wet the filter is (if at all)? I know small bits of water are safe (actually beneficial), but would be afraid that too much could get trapped in the box and then eventually soak the filter past a safe limit. Also, I'm assuming that you block the factory opening in the box?!? I haven't seen any pics of anyone doing that yet. Wouldn't it defeat the purpose to leave that open?

The water does not run in so long as you drill the hole as high as possible in the firewall to keep it above the floor of the cowl. This is how your vent system is working now too and it does not rain in on your feet because the opening is about a inch above the floor of the cowl. Just take it off and have a look and you will see what I mean.

Gojeep said:
The water does not run in so long as you drill the hole as high as possible in the firewall to keep it above the floor of the cowl. This is how your vent system is working now too and it does not rain in on your feet because the opening is about a inch above the floor of the cowl. Just take it off and have a look and you will see what I mean.

what about snow?

you think it would leak in?

Littlewhitexj said:
^^ Thats what turned me off to this idea. Too often in the winter my vents are covered with ice and snow which I think would lead to crappy performance.
At that time it would draw air from the drains with one at each end inside the guard.

Littlewhitexj said:
^^ Thats what turned me off to this idea. Too often in the winter my vents are covered with ice and snow which I think would lead to crappy performance.
Umm, clean your vents when you do your windshield?

Nice Job. A cowl intake can give you some real ram effect too. At about 60 MPH. you may see a 2 present increase in HP. It's the cool air that may give you as much as a 10 present gain. That would be at any speed/RPM also.
A dry air filter! A real 10% gain for less then 50 bucks. It just don't get any better.

always_eating_mud said:
has anyone here taken thier airbox off and run a snork out, up, and then put a cone filter ontop and use some sort of water proffing, a buddy opf mien has it on his samuri like this and i was thinking of makeing mine this way

That is exactly what I did. It is not pretty, but it works great. I have some pictures but our website is down, I'll see if I can find another way to post them.

basicaly I ran 3" pvc from the rubber intake hose over to the inner fender and up and out through the hood, then up the A post. I capped it with a cone style filter. This Xj doesn't see the road anymore but it would probably work fine for street use.

BTW I am replacing the mechanical fan with electric. Mine did not go into the radiator, but it did take out the fan clutch - or perhaps a failing fan clutch saved the radiator.

I did not take in much water (carpet at rear passenger area was a little wet) however I want to pull all of the carpet and put in removable plugs.

Bob

Mothertrucker said:
how did ya'll mount your pvc snorkels to your a pillar??

Appearance is not an issue on mine, so I just used some metal strapping and sheetmetal screws with some rtv sealant.

Mothertrucker said:
how does the "real" $600 snorkels mount?

and i might use the straoping/screws method
They have a nut moulded into the snorkel itself. You just then bolt a bracket from that to the backside of your A piller. You can see it on my site as have a couple of write ups there about them. www.go.jeep-xj.info

I did some quick looking. The melting point is 413.6*F, and the glass temp (from what I understand is it's starting to get soft temp) is 185*F. I have a modded oven thermometer to measure underhood temps, and the highest I have ever seen it (ofcoarse the ambent temp here rarly gets above the mid nintys) is 158*F, and when travaling down the road at any resonable speed the intake (measured on top of the filter) air is usully 5*F , or so higher than ambent.
Where did read the melting point is 413F? I read 173F on wikipedia.

Back