• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homemade snorkel question

JEONLYEP said:
But I do have to ask about added noise inside from that set up

A bit of noise till the moter goes into closed loop mode . Then you can hardly even tell. However when the A/C compresser cycles it caused the IAC to open the throttle a bit which you can hear. Overall it's not bad, you get used to it. It's just a wooshing sound.

87manche said:
I had researched the marine vents and my idea was to go with the cowl induction, but with a mushroom on thop of the cowl. That way I don't have to run pipe up the a-pillar and if I ever get water up to the windshield I've got more problems than the intake.
I thought about doing that 10 years ago and was going to carry a 1 meter extension to slip in-between the base, just above the cowl, and head for the deeper crossing only.

that was my plan also. That way I could have it sitting ontop of the cowl for daily use, and have a 3 foot extension to take it over the roof for serious crossings. I could also take it off after the crossing so it didn't get ripped off by a tree. I'll probably make it so it's a friction fit with a lubed o-ring in there to seal it.

87manche said:
that was my plan also. That way I could have it sitting ontop of the cowl for daily use, and have a 3 foot extension to take it over the roof for serious crossings. I could also take it off after the crossing so it didn't get ripped off by a tree. I'll probably make it so it's a friction fit with a lubed o-ring in there to seal it.
We think a like. ;)

For a filter can look for a rover canister. Then modify it slightly to take the stock rubber hose then take another rubber hose and come out the side into whatever you're going to use on the side. This is what I did. I used another long rubber hose (air intake) in the fender. IIRC it came of an older Ford or Chevy full size truck.

Kejtar said:
For a filter can look for a rover canister. Then modify it slightly to take the stock rubber hose then take another rubber hose and come out the side into whatever you're going to use on the side. This is what I did. I used another long rubber hose (air intake) in the fender. IIRC it came of an older Ford or Chevy full size truck.

Nice idea, what year and model rover did that air filter canister did it come from?

Boostn said:
Couple more notes: when you look at the pics of the rover canister you'll notice that the diameter of the input and output is pretty narrow. I took those off, took a piece of 3" exhause tubing, tacked it on and then I used some marine poly putty to seal it up and reinforce it (you can use bondo). Sand it down, paint it and it looks like it's factory setup.

I was thinking that a late model f-150 cannister from a v-6 model would be a good fit, it has a huge cone filter element, and looks to seal up pretty well. Plus they are very common.

keep up the good work

are u guys just planing on mounting the vetns on the hood or roof or what

i was thinking if someone were to mount some sort of breather system on the hood water would splash in the system. . . but hey im a newbie i dont know anything

Cant wait to see some more finished products them im gonna steal them :)

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

i am heading to the junk yard to pick up parts and yes i am going to be using hood vents to allow heat to escape i will post my finds on monday or sunday before i start to build

Well guys, this is what I did. I used 3" PCV, Sched 30, and went into the cowl area also. I used 2 90 degree street elbows, 1 45 degree street elbow and about 2 feet of strait pipe. The air the engine gets will be cooler that stock and if you get water coming in the cowl vent, you have bigger problems than hydro locking.

http://www.offroadjeepers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=879

Check it out, it all fits under the hood of my '99. CYA.

well, seeing that if the water get's to the TPS you'd also have to seal your distributor....
The snorkel keeps splased water from getting into the stock, sucky location behind the grill. If you get water over the hood then you're basically hosed, ad not just in regards to the engine. Your trans and T-case vents need to be moved, along with the differential vents. Water that high will also be threatening the engine electronics. In short, a snorkel will keep you from hydrolocking the motor, but if you plan on going into water that deep you need to reconsider, it's a jeep, not a submarine.

Back