• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homemade snorkel question

Boostn said:
Although PVC is flame resistant, PVC products release toxic hydrogen chloride gas when heated. These corrosive gases can spread faster than flames, trapping building occupants before they have a chance to escape. Hydrogen chloride gas is lethal when inhaled.

I guess if you don't burn it, it'll be fine

However that has me wondering if it is slowly eating away at the engine.

I think when it means heated, meaning if it is REALLY HOT! Pretty much shooting flames on it or resting it right next to exhaust manifold. I doubt we have much to worry about.

I did some quick looking. The melting point is 413.6*F, and the glass temp (from what I understand is it's starting to get soft temp) is 185*F. I have a modded oven thermometer to measure underhood temps, and the highest I have ever seen it (ofcoarse the ambent temp here rarly gets above the mid nintys) is 158*F, and when travaling down the road at any resonable speed the intake (measured on top of the filter) air is usully 5*F , or so higher than ambent.

Why not put your stock airbox back and you can even leave your cone filter inside of it?

just another option...running exaust tubing under hood and flexable exaust to a ford style air filter box(seems to be sealed better than a stock xj box) and "cpvc"on the exterior......

I'm really glad I brought that gases issue up... I've been enlightened

scoobyxj said:
As far as using PVC under the hood

DownloadedPicsFromCard032.jpg

DownloadedPicsFromCard022.jpg

been running it for about two years now no melting yet.

http://community.webshots.com/album/172456157xRgirG
If I were inclined to do a snorkle I like this idea the most. Mainly because there's no ugly PVC or anything on the outside of the Jeep.

But I do have to ask about added noise inside from that set up?

Looks like a great way to do it.

DAryl

I don't think that a snorkle would have helped here, but if the bottom hadn't been so muddy that I couldn't get traction, and if I weren't pushing 2000 gallons of water, and didn't need to climb a two foot hump to get out, I could maybe have made it out with a snorkle? I doubt it, but maybe.

wetone.JPG

BTW, no water was sucked into the motor.

Last edited:
JEONLYEP said:
If I were inclined to do a snorkle I like this idea the most. Mainly because there's no ugly PVC or anything on the outside of the Jeep.

But I do have to ask about added noise inside from that set up?

Looks like a great way to do it.

DAryl

I don't think that a snorkle would have helped here, but if the bottom hadn't been so muddy that I couldn't get traction, and if I weren't pushing 2000 gallons of water, and didn't need to climb a two foot hump to get out, I could maybe have made it out with a snorkle? I doubt it, but maybe.

wetone.JPG

BTW, no water was sucked into the motor.
no water in the motor, but I bet the interior smelled nice for a little while

LilRedRover said:
no water in the motor, but I bet the interior smelled nice for a little while
Well, the seats sat on the hood for a couple of weeks, and the carpet.... Well I don't know where it is now...

DAryl

klonestar said:
I am curious about electral grade pvc tho, the gray stuff?

id use the grey electricle pipe for the part that sticks up, it has longer bends that would look nicer and flow better then the simple 90 bends that most pipe has

JEONLYEP said:
At a good plumbing supply house you can get long sweep 90s that aren't as tight of a bend.

DAryl
You can also put two 45's together that will give you a medium sweep. Longer than a stock (short sweep) 90 but doent need as much room as a long sweep 90. Long sweep 90 are rather huge as far as how much room they take up. Can also use two 45's w/varying pipe in between and make a graduated 90 for an even gentler, longer sweep. They also make a 22 1/2 degree elbow.

I believe that all forms of plastic leach fumes over time. ever see that film that forms on the inside of car windows? thats the vinal leaching fumes. something to do with the break down of the componants. but if they can plumb potable water with it and it don't kill us maybe it wouldn't hurt the intake system.

If you wanted to use metal on the outside of the vehicle then you can go to deisel repair shop and have then custom bend some exhaust tubing for you, should'nt be too expensive. That way you get the bend you want and it will look more factory than the slip peices.

I am sure with a little searching through racing shops you could find some silicone turbo hose that will bend nicely in the engine bay to reach the airbox you choose.

Even more you can go to a plastics shop and get a custom airbox made that would work with your cone filter and had a serviceable removable top like factory.

Just my .02

Markos said:
Check out http://www.western-marine.com/page60.htm or do a google search on 'marine vents'. There are some good marine 'mushroom vents' as well.

Marine Vents:
p60-8.jpg
Nice shape!

Still not sure I'd like the look of 3" round pcv running out and up the xj tho?

Playing with the idea (in my head) of using 3"-4" single wall metal heat vent pipe. You would be able to sort of flatten it out or make it oval so it wont stick out as far. Rattle can paint and good to go.

For under the hood I would no doubt go with double or maybe even triple wall heat vent pipe which comes in galvanized, aluminum, and if you want to spend the extra cash, stainless. It will help keep the cool air cool and imho look good! Nice thing about metal vent pipe fittings (elbows, etc.) is that their adjustable so you can play with the angles to go in non standard positions/directions.

I am not familiar with the vent pipe you are talking about but with adjustability that is too easy means a possible point for water to enter.

I had researched the marine vents and my idea was to go with the cowl induction, but with a mushroom on thop of the cowl. That way I don't have to run pipe up the a-pillar and if I ever get water up to the windshield I've got more problems than the intake.

I guess so but it may be more hassle than it is worth.

I would hate to make something for a purpose but then not have it perform the right way. I would think when in the water there would be more forces at work than just driving down the road making it easier for failure.

Back