• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homemade snorkel question

electrical tape covered by a light coat of just about any sealant oughta do the trick, just make sure the stuff says waterproof on the bottle/jar. That's how I did mine anyways.

Also do not run a mechanical fan if you are considering water this deep. The fan blades will pull themselves into your radiator. It sounds really odd, but electrical fans that you can turn off to submerge are the best bet, water tends not to have too much effect on DC electronics. Unless they are high voltage and/or the water is very silty. in which case a nice cleansing bath will prevent serious damage to fans and alternator.

goodburbon said:
Also do not run a mechanical fan if you are considering water this deep. The fan blades will pull themselves into your radiator.

Are you talking from personal experience?

The fan on my CJ almost made it through the radiator, just rubbed it a bit, but there is not nearly as much room between the xj fan and the radiator.

Check out the local RV center. They have some perfect flexible hose -- its used for dumping the poop tank on the RVs. I'm using it for my underhood duties, and it is perfectly sized, tough as nails, and you can get all sorts of interesting stuff to connect to it like flange plates, angles, 90's, etc.

About the fumes from PVC, I would think that they would be the least of your worries. I've seen a lot of PVC under the hood with little ill effect. ALL plastic puts off toxic fumes when it burns -- including the stuff the factory uses for the air box!

I'm making my snorkle a bit simpler -- I'm using an eBay cheapy hood scoop, mounted backwards on the rear edge of the hood (so it doesn't fill with water from the "scoop effect" facing forward -- and also to take advantage of the high air pressure area at the base of the windshield, ala 70's Chevy cowl induction setups) and hooking it into the stock air box with the RV flex hose. Total cost will be in the $35.00 range and it will suffice to water to mid grill range -- which is plenty for my use. If I were doing tank traps and the like, I'd go higher, but I rarely ever get into that scenario where I wheel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Air-Flow-Hood-Scoop-Acura-Integra-94-01-95-96-GSR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33646QQitemZ8063567561QQrdZ1

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=401

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2003262/showCustom-0/p-2003262/N-111+600005280+0/c-10107

http://www.timberman.com/PLUMBING/plumbing.htm

I like a man that shows up with links.
I'd never even thought about something like that, I'll have to investigate it. Good find.

I run my intake through cowl induction too and works really well for me.

Filter3.jpg

Filter7.jpg

Full write up on my site but of coarse you would need a cowl bonnet in the first place. ;)

Bonnet%20034.jpg

has anyone here taken thier airbox off and run a snork out, up, and then put a cone filter ontop and use some sort of water proffing, a buddy opf mien has it on his samuri like this and i was thinking of makeing mine this way

always_eating_mud said:
has anyone here taken thier airbox off and run a snork out, up, and then put a cone filter ontop and use some sort of water proffing, a buddy opf mien has it on his samuri like this and i was thinking of makeing mine this way

i saw a thread with a water pitcher/jug mounted over a cone filter on top of a snorkle

GoJeep thought you were running a snorkel? of is that a different xj? love your website too. gonna do the electric fan upgrade as soon as i can hide some cash away from the gf.

mylt1 said:
GoJeep thought you were running a snorkel? of is that a different xj? love your website too. gonna do the electric fan upgrade as soon as i can hide some cash away from the gf.

Never had a snorkel but did help develope the Airflow one that Dirk now sells and wrote the instructions for it. Also one for the diesels XJ's so maybe you are thinking about that??

cherokee steve said:
Well guys, this is what I did. I used 3" PCV, Sched 30, and went into the cowl area also. I used 2 90 degree street elbows, 1 45 degree street elbow and about 2 feet of strait pipe. The air the engine gets will be cooler that stock and if you get water coming in the cowl vent, you have bigger problems than hydro locking.

http://www.offroadjeepers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=879

Check it out, it all fits under the hood of my '99. CYA.

looks good. but what do you mean by street elbows? are they just regular elbows? and would this setup pos a problem if o ar driving in the rain and water gets into the cowl area? woudnt the water get sucked into the intake?
and did you put your air filter back into the air box when you where done?

Keep th PVC away the Engine or insulate it, I thought I could get away with running a Piece over the top of the valve cover to pull air from the cooler side of the engine and keep my intake a good 8" higher. I opened the hood yesterday to find a reddish, oddly shaped half melted thing between the throttle body and air filter.

Back