• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home made hood vent

I was talking to a friend about these and for keeping water out (even though it probably wouldnt do much harm) you could cut some thin magnetic sheets to pop right in over it.

[FONT=&quot]
I was talking to a friend about these and for keeping water out (even though it probably wouldn’t do much harm) you could cut some thin magnetic sheets to pop right in over it.

Make cover plates for foul weather use. Cut out two pieces of sheet metal the same size as the original cutouts plus 1" all around. Apply sticky-back magnetic tape around the perimeter of each new piece so each new cover fits snuggly around the vent's molding. Paint the new covers to match.
The covers would be flat, thin and easy to store when not being used.[/FONT]

Last edited:
:thumbup:Just about to install my Lebaron vents i've had sitting on the work bench for a few years but now you have me thinking twice. These are the best looking vents that I have seen!
x2. my Lebaron vents are in my garage and on the list of winter projects. the Lebaron vent project is definitely on hold now.

[FONT=&quot]

Make cover plates for foul weather use. Cut out two pieces of sheet metal the same size as the original cutouts plus 1" all around. Apply sticky-back magnetic tape around the perimeter of each new piece so each new cover fits snuggly around the vent's molding. Paint the new covers to match.
The covers would be flat, thin and easy to store when not being used.[/FONT]

excellent idea.

I was trying to come up with some way to make magnetic covers, but the ZJ vents are far too high to be cover-able. ::sigh::

If I take my original pieces that I cut out and grind them down I could put more door molding on them and they would drop right in on top, a couple of studs and nuts would be all that is needed and those could be jb welded to the pieces... they would work pretty good and I may do it to have for snowy icy days (not many here in NC) but I think I'll put in drip pans if I have any problems...

Well done MrJCRod! That is a super clean install and a great innovation. Your basic concept can be further developed into different sizes and locations too. What's everyones idea on optimum placement of venting to do the job but minimize water intrusion issues? I would love to replicate in my hood if ican determine the best size, shape and location.

Looks great, thanks for sharing.

Photo_110409_011.jpg

i gotta say that is one SWEEEET looking XJ

NIce work, Looks very clean well...... from the top anyways! :D

MrJCRod - Looks like it has been some time now... how are the vents doing? Any weather damage showing? I am very interested in this vent, and looking to do something similar.

nice vents, like em so much im in the process of making them for my xj. got it taped up, measured and cut tonight. so far so good. need to get the grill o sheets tomorrow. where did you get them?

Back