• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home made hood vent

Yeah, these are really nice. I think what most people are asking is how did you fix the screen to the hood?

If I'm not mistaken you can get that door edging from any automotive store... even in krome if you need some extra bling on your ride.

Yeah, these are really nice. I think what most people are asking is how did you fix the screen to the hood?

If I'm not mistaken you can get that door edging from any automotive store... even in krome if you need some extra bling on your ride.
Hmmmm.....chrome eh? As I get older I've noticed i need some extra bling on my bling ..... this could do it.:wave:

Very nice! If I didnt have a set of Grand hood vents waiting to be installed I would definitely do this. :thumbup:

Edit: Also, has that rig ever seen the dirt? Haha, real clean/straight, well done XJ. Looks good overall

I have been thinking about doing some thing like that for some time. now that I have seen what it looks like I will be doing it to mine soon....thanks for posting it

:thumbup:Just about to install my Lebaron vents i've had sitting on the work bench for a few years but now you have me thinking twice. These are the best looking vents that I have seen! I would really like to install these on my Jeep ASAP. I have the hood spacer now and it looks ridiculous. Please add more detail about the install!
Greatly Appreciated
Elliott Jones:D

What's up with you all and the water holes? Mega-hard on seals, bearings, u-joints, and overall grime/corrosion.

Maybe you weren't aware of it, but you will be in fairly short order. Nice looking rigs, BTW.

Thanks for the info... next time I'm out I'll go around the water holes so as not to damage anything, or maybe I'll just keep it on road... definitely less stress...

How are rock climbs and sand??? Should I stay off them too... I'm thinking even driving on roads will cause my damn tires to wear... What should I do???

Thanks for the info... next time I'm out I'll go around the water holes so as not to damage anything, or maybe I'll just keep it on road... definitely less stress...

How are rock climbs and sand??? Should I stay off them too... I'm thinking even driving on roads will cause my damn tires to wear... What should I do???

Having fun = breaking things.

Thats part of owning a Jeep I suppose.

Always safest to just not drive it at all. Put it on a trailer and just tow it around....

Never did a write up before so if there are still questions after just hit me up...
To start here are pictures of the materials I purchased for the vent. Grill-O-Sheets for the mesh

Photo_110709_010.jpg

and door edge molding from any local autopart store.

Photo_110709_011.jpg

In this picture it will show the cut-out locations... I did try to make the center line and the top line run parallel to the center line and in the upper edge of the hood as well...

Hoodvent.jpg

After I laid out my masking tape I measured and drew out my two triangles... then I measured 1 1/2 from the top outer points and drew a line down and measured 3" up from the bottom points and drew a straight line out... I basically just cut the points off...
Photo_110309_002.jpg
then I took my Roto-zip with metal cut-off wheel attachment and went to work cutting out the shapes... the hacksaw in the picture was to cut the corners to prevent cutting too far with the cut-off tool...
Photo_110309_003.jpg
Photo_110309_004.jpg

after grinding down the edges and priming the bare metal I put the door edge molding on... then from under the hood I put the mesh material up against the hood and cut it down a little... After scuffing, priming and painting the mesh I secured them to the hood with black silicone and masking tape to hold them up overnight.
Photo_110709_003.jpg

The next morning I pulled off the tape and there was my finished homemade hood vents...

Photo_110409_011.jpg

Photo_110409_004.jpg

Photo_110409_002.jpg

Photo_110309_009.jpg

it was pretty easy, just a little scary making the first cut but overall it can be done in just a few hours... Obviously you can also come up with your own shapes and designs... and if it concerns you, drip pans should be a piece of cake to make if you got this far... Hope this helps....

That is the best looking set of vents I have seen. I never did vents because most of them look like crap in my opinion.

Back