• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home made hood vent

Ok, as stated before, I love these - and I don't want to come off as questioning your method of adhesion - but how well will that black silicone hold up to under-hood temps? Did you use the "hi-temp RTV" type stuff?

Second question - did you notice your engine temp dropping at all? Can you "see" the heat coming out from the vents?

Good write up - looks like I have some cutting to do!!! :)

Ok, as stated before, I love these - and I don't want to come off as questioning your method of adhesion - but how well will that black silicone hold up to under-hood temps? Did you use the "hi-temp RTV" type stuff?

Second question - did you notice your engine temp dropping at all? Can you "see" the heat coming out from the vents?

Good write up - looks like I have some cutting to do!!! :)

I do see the heat coming out at stop lights when I'm behind someone... and I never measured temps but I am constantly a few degrees below the 210 mark now, where I used to always be at it or a little over...

He said he used high temp silicone in the thread on JF. I'm curious about that too, but I dig the vents.

Pulled some info off the permatex site:

Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant

DOWNLOAD TECH DATA SHEET
Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant
General-purpose, black RTV sealant. Seals, bonds, repairs, mends and secures glass, metal, plastics, fabric, vinyl, weather stripping and vinyl tops. May be applied to horizontal or vertical surfaces. Waterproof and flexible. Temperature range -75ºF to 450ºF (-59°C to 232°C); resists oil, water, weather, vibration, grease, and more. Non-paintable.

KEY FEATURES

* General-purpose RTV Silicone
* Black
* Temperature range -75ºF to 450ºF (-59°C to 232°C)
* Resists aging, weathering, thermal cycling
* Use on metal, glass, wood, plastic, painted surfaces and more

I'm pretty confident that it should hold with no problems...

Excellent, thanks for the info...

rating_5.gif

Yeah if you notice differences while driving, imagine while wheeling! Hammered has hood vents and when he is wheeling you can see heat billowing out of em!

I plan to do these in the near future, but am worried about water

Those grills look sweet. I guess I'd be worried about rain and snow here in Wasatch Mountains I am putting in some Cherokee hood louvers from Rocky Road outfitters over the winter. I hope they are a little more forgiving from a climatic standpoint.

Those hood vents are sick! very creative, cheap, and solid. Way to make them look great on there too! I am anxious though, to hear how the weathering turns out... I am a big fan of a real functioning hood vent, not the fake crap! haha. Way to go man. Good write up as well!

Makes me consider picking up dremel or some such and having at it instead of the 1" hood spacers I run currently... looks great, nice work bud!

Yeah if you notice differences while driving, imagine while wheeling! Hammered has hood vents and when he is wheeling you can see heat billowing out of em!

I plan to do these in the near future, but am worried about water

Those grills look sweet. I guess I'd be worried about rain and snow here in Wasatch Mountains I am putting in some Cherokee hood louvers from Rocky Road outfitters over the winter. I hope they are a little more forgiving from a climatic standpoint.

I still think water may be an issue but if you can put these vent in then drip pans should be real easy... I may end up putting some in if the water seems too much. So far everything seems great and the heat coming out of them is ridiculous... The silicone is holding up fine as well... I tried to pull on the vents and they aren't budging...

looks good.

I need to grow a pair and do some hood vents already. I'm afraid of cutting and rain ruining electrics.

I agree about the water and doing some form of drip pans... I am trying to decide what i will be doing for mine. I have the stock Grand drip pans... but I'm not so sure that those will move the water far enough to the sides to be really effective.. That and the stock drip pans are plastic so I can't weld do them to make channels to drain off to the sides. I will have to figure something out. OP, if you do make drip pans of sorts, I would be interested in seeing them. I may just go and make a pan for mine rather than using the stock ones.. just not sure what I would be doing yet.

Would some one fill me in on why the drip pans are needed? Do you just not want water to be getting on the alternator or other electronic components? It seems like they would be fine, judging that they have survived some pretty nasty water holes...

Where they're located it looks like they'll drop water on the fuel injector and throttle body harnesses, along with the IAC, TPS, and MAP perhaps (and the CPS, if the water goes down the back of the block...) personally, I would rather waterproof the sensors fully with silicone and dielectric grease than put drip pans on, it seems to me like drip pans would impede airflow a lot. That's just my guessing though, I haven't tried this.

Where they're located it looks like they'll drop water on the fuel injector and throttle body harnesses, along with the IAC, TPS, and MAP perhaps (and the CPS, if the water goes down the back of the block...) personally, I would rather waterproof the sensors fully with silicone and dielectric grease than put drip pans on, it seems to me like drip pans would impede airflow a lot. That's just my guessing though, I haven't tried this.

I will probably be doing both, dielectric grease and drip pans. I don't think that drip pans will hurt air flow too much because the vents are primarily for off road; i.e. low speed. The hot air will just flow around the drip pans and out the top, it's not like they will be sucking any air in at that speed. with the pans in the article earlier where there are openings on all sides of the pans, I don't think there would be much (if any) restriction on heat rising out. On the Grand vents, IIRC the drip pans wrap around 3 sides of the vent, which could hurt how much heat escapes from the vent a bit, but it will still be better than nothing. So far I have had no heat issues even off road with no vents... I just would prefer to keep it that way.

Back