• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hey guys, new to the area. Looking for some help

I know it's late notice, but does anyone in the Westminster area feel like wrenching this weekend?
Just picked up this beauty..,
image_zpsvfgjpg7y.jpg

At least you picked a nice weekend. I have a torn tendon in my right hand so not much help with a swap.

Best of luck. If you need an engine hoist, I have a portable one you can use.

Yes sir, it looks like the jeep gods approve!
Hopefully won't need the engine hoist. But if I do I'll let you know.
Thanks!

I'll be around Saturday late afternoon / evening and Sunday until lunchtime. You're more than welcome to come use my tools and driveway during those times as I'll probably be wrenching on my rig then as well.

Cool. My wife is from Highland area. Me, I'm from up north of Utica.
Nice to see another NY native out here, Do you wheel often around here?

I can help wrench, do you have a place to start swapping parts over?

Sorry, I was wrenching all day, and didn't check my phone. :doh:

Anyways, I got some done today, but I have a lot to do tomorrow.
Im just doing the swap in my apartment complex.

Is anyone available on Sunday? I've had a few people bail on me and trying to line up all 4 control arms is nearly impossible. Believe me Ivr been trying for the past 3 days.
Idc if I have to pay people I just need help and possibly a few tools to make it easier.

I may be able to come over for a bit on Sunday if we don't go skiing.

What tools do you think you need?

I assume you have the front of the jeep on stands, coils out, steering unhooked, and are trying to hook up all 4 arms first?

Ratchet straps may help to move the axle if you have something to strap to.

I might be able to come over for a bit on Thursday evening. What are your nearest major cross-streets?

Don't try to get all 4 lined up at once. I usually start with the bottom and then work the tops last. A 10,000# ratchet strap against the subframe or rear axle will move the axle around without too much force. For the uppers, depending on how far out they are, a 4x4 and a floor jack under the spring perch will rotate it some. You can also use the 10,000# ratchet strap on the UCA mount on the differential to rotate the axle back enough get the arms in.

Don't try to get all 4 lined up at once. I usually start with the bottom and then work the tops last. A 10,000# ratchet strap against the subframe or rear axle will move the axle around without too much force. For the uppers, depending on how far out they are, a 4x4 and a floor jack under the spring perch will rotate it some. You can also use the 10,000# ratchet strap on the UCA mount on the differential to rotate the axle back enough get the arms in.

This!

I managed to get both the driver side upper and lower bolts in.
The passenger lower i got 1/2 way in and the passenger top is a good 3-4 inches from going in. I gave up after snapping the head off the lower track bar mount bolt :banghead::banghead:

Guess ill go buy a ratchet strap and try again.

Do the lowers first, then the uppers, passenger side last.

I did not have a problem until I got to the the last upper control arm. Then, I used a big-arse pipe wrench, with a floor jack under the handle to rotate the axle. As soon as it was close, I was able to use a drift to line up the holes and run a bolt through.

I managed to get both the driver side upper and lower bolts in.
The passenger lower i got 1/2 way in and the passenger top is a good 3-4 inches from going in. I gave up after snapping the head off the lower track bar mount bolt :banghead::banghead:

Guess ill go buy a ratchet strap and try again.

Be sure you get a 10,000 lb ratchet strap!

The little 500-900 lb ones have very weak ratcheting mechanisms that will twist and you'll be cutting the straps off.

As a reminder, that may not be necessary, do not tighten any of the bolts with rubber bushings (control arms, track bar, leaf spring eyes) until the weight of the vehicle is on the tires with no jack stands or floor jacks.

Back