• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with vacuum disconnect delete

I'll second or third or whatever the axle seals at end of axle after sealing up the block off plate. However I also say if you aren't running a much larger tire to just mechanically lock in the axle disco and leave the two piece in. It's good enough for close to stock tires.

All that drama never made it into the Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum...

There was one way back when but it got deleted due to some political reasoning I believe.

It had my drama, Mike's drama, and Garrett's drama.

If you have the right plan and tools it can be done by one person in a matter of minutes. Cut brake lines. Cut control arms. Cut drag link and trac bar. Unbolt driveshaft.

Sounds like the Springs peeps need to have a junkyard run. The U-Pull web page shows four potential donors. While you are there, look under the back of that '87. :)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cherokee-stock-specs-26256/

Jeep Forum said:
Axles

Front Axles
Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear - used 84-99 (some axles through 91 are vacuum disconnect, 92+ are non-disconnect, 89-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints, all 95+ have 5-297x u-joints, all others have 5-260x u-joints)

Dana 30 low pinion - standard cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear, 5-297x u-joints - used 00-01

I'm pretty sure that none of the brake parts on your existing axle will work on the more desirable donors. The Unit Bearings and outer shafts changed in 1990. There is another change in Unit Bearings and Rotors (I think) in 2000.

It took me 30 minutes to pull a d30 without destroying anything around the axle . The most PITA part is not being allowed to use a jack and stands .

They're not hard to pull. Picking them up takes an effort. It'll take a cart or wheelbarrow to get it to your vehicle. Even in my old age, skinny, decrepitude I can still manage to horse one around.

Any special tools needed?

I'm thinking 1/2 socket set and a impact gun

sawzwall?

u-pull in the springs should only be $115 for the complete axle? They tried to screw me over on a trim piece for my geo because it had a light in it they wanted to double the price

Check their web site they may have changed the price, but that's what it was the last time I pulled one. I'd bring a breaker bar and some wrenches (up to 21mm). And a big hammer of course.

Back