• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with vacuum disconnect delete

Cofi 556

NAXJA Forum User
I ordered a rustys off-road vacuum disconnect kit for my 88 XJ Dana 30. I am attempting to drive in the passenger side inner axle seal I am using a 36mm socket with a 36" extension hammering from the drivers side towards the passenger side

The seal will not go in past the little shoulder it has no matter what I do I have tried lubing with wheel bearing grease heating the axle tube and using a 1lb and a 5lb dead blow

Am I missing a step? Was I supposed to remove something? I am under the impression there is no seal or anything installed with that setup

36 views over 6.5 hours...

I never bothered with the CAD axles, so I am out of my element, BUT, I think I might have read something to the effect that older axles may not have the seat for the inner seal on the passenger side.

If you were to change your "location" to your municipality in Colorado, you might get more feedback from people who are nearby.

36 views over 6.5 hours...

I never bothered with the CAD axles, so I am out of my element, BUT, I think I might have read something to the effect that older axles may not have the seat for the inner seal on the passenger side.

If you were to change your "location" to your municipality in Colorado, you might get more feedback from people who are nearby.

Ok I changed the location

I didn't want these axles I paid a jeep guy in my area like 1000 for new Dana 30 (solid) and a Ford 8.8 with gears and lockers he kept my jeep all summer destroying my front diff and stole the money and weird parts off the jeep(like my brake caliper bolts were replaced with ball point pens)

I bought a new front locker and the vacuum disconnect set to get me through winter so if it dosent have the recess for the seal am I just out of options?

Wow, that's pretty harsh! I hope that is not someone you met on this board.

Again, speaking without experience, if your housing has not been machined for the seal, your next best option would be to reinstall the two piece shaft and manually lock out the vacuum disconnect.

I'll bet get more views by posting your dilemma in the Mod-Tech forum http://naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Edit: I have some CAD axle parts from a project Jeep. They are yours if you need them.

Last edited:
Why not reach out to Rustys directly?

I wish I could be more helpful - I deleted the disconnect on a D30 about 10 years ago :haha: . If I remember right, when the shafts are out and the disconnect out, you stick the seal in and tap it in through the hole left by the disconnect...I do not think it needs to go in very far?

Hopefully somebody can confirm this.

Also, it appears there's a few videos on Youtube, have you checked them out?

You could go with the cable actuated system too and avoid all this hassle. I never did the delete because I didn't want my front DS spinning all the time and I honestly liked having 2L when playing on fire roads in the mountains. Everything I've read on the swap requires you to grind a bit on the passenger side to make that lip you want.

I wonder if the disconnect system was open to the diff to allow lubrication of everything and therefore isn't machined for a seal there.

I'd second the suggestion to talk to the guys who sold you the kit. They may be helpful.

Grim - that is exactly the case, as I recall (with Hypoid's reminder). I think that's why I went with tube seals and just let the diff fluid lube the whole shaft (good RTV seal at the old disconnect housing, obviously)

I never cared enough to check, but I heard there was a channel you had to block off so the oil would no longer go to the disconnect after you sealed it from the pumpkin.

Whether it was Josh or JD, it sucks -- you should be able to trust folks enough to make the "materials down" payment, and expect a reasonable product be delivered on a reasonable schedule. Sorry, man.

Whether it was Josh or JD, it sucks -- you should be able to trust folks enough to make the "materials down" payment, and expect a reasonable product be delivered on a reasonable schedule. Sorry, man.

I agree! in my younger days I would have gotten my money back or gone to dudes house for a beat down but with 2 kids and one on the way I just don't have time for trouble

This is the second time this happened to me since moving to co the first I had a contractor rip me off on a material deposit I went to the police he had apparently been doing this for a while about a week later the guy jumped off a building in downtown Colorado Springs!

What really sucked is that my wife got preggers in oct so my jeep budget got slashed...lol so it'll be a while before I can save up for axels again

Ok I guess I bought it from Yukon (amazon) Called them and they said it's a pita and to beat the shit out of it so sat im going to hammer it until something breaks :D

I can't wait to get this thing going I want to do some meets and I have never been off-roading so I'm really looking fwd to doing that with y'all

Back