• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harlan Sept 17th and 18th

Got the heep back together..Just got back from the test drive,everything is working good...Let's wheel!!

See ya on thursday

Nick

You guys have fun. Nick, get some good footage for us who can't make it.

The weather forcast for Harlan looks good.

Thursday...Partly cloudy. A slight chance of showers in the afternoon. Highs 82 to 87. Southwest winds at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Thursday Night And Friday...Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 50s. Highs in the upper 70s. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Friday Night...Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Lows 51 to 56.

Saturday Through Monday...Mostly clear. Highs 79 to 84. Lows 55 to 60.

Since gas prices shot up...I've been waiting on gasin' up.Still gotta pack the xj.Since Patty is staying home,I'll have a few less bags.

Nick

Raining in cincy. The jeep should be clean by the time I reach Harlan. I should be heading out soon.

See ya later
Nick

I got home just fine. I had a blast, even with all of the carnage. Thanks again to you all for helping get my rig back to camp.

here is a link to all of my pictures from the weekend.

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/ae177/bsch_jm/Harlan_SEPT_2010/

jim:cheers:

Jim good to meet you. You beat the piss out of that rig.

We had some bizarre issues. Left front tire came off on the trail and went screaming down the moutain about 300 yards. 2 cooling hoses broke on 2 different rigs. Broken power steering box. My jeep started running poorly (I think due to the high pressure coolant on the distributor. Broken front shaft and lockright. Ripped off a couple of hatches, but your glass fell out on the trail intact. Somebody's top just fell off on the trail ...er was cut off. Word to the wise don't break for too long when a cordless sawzall is around.

Last edited:
I had a great time..Hope to wheel with you all again.A few pics of the carnage..I had a very stressful trip home,more about that in a minute.

Epic Harlan Carnage

Yes,the wheel rolled down the hill.Way down the hill..
HarlanSEPT2010006.jpg

On Rail Bed(I was calling it Pin Ball)

HarlanSEPT2010013.jpg

Then my turn, ending in a broken LF Shaft and brand new front locker.Got to use my rear winch hookup to get my off the rock.

HarlanSEPT2010010.jpg

When the steering box trail repair failed half way down the mountain heading back to camp. Thankfully Matt was there to save the day.

HarlanSEPT2010022.jpg

The carnage did'nt end in Harlan for me....

HarlanSEPT2010034.jpg

Whats left of my rear driveshaft after it came off at 73mph on I75.The slip yoke never was found.I got my spare drive shaft out and new yoke clamps.I was back on the road ,only to have major bad vibs and noises above 65 mph...I made it home though,with my good friend Robert (WrenchMonkey) on call, just in case I needed a trailer.Man I need to start towing my rig.

Rest of my pics. here
http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/dd335/xjwheeling/Harlan Sept 2010/

Some vids to follow

Nick

I still have 4 windows...... 5 If you include the cracked windshield.....

I guess I need to change my Avatar Pic since the jeep does not look like that anymore.

Last edited:
Back