• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gay Rights Activists want to Boycott Utah

Wow. Some thoughts.

I started this thread because I thought the article funny. I mean how many gay guys actually vacation in Utah? How many folks are going to change their vacation destination over this issue? How come gays are boycotting visiting AZ and FL that had similar "anti" gay legislation being voted on.

You might be surprised actually. Salt Lake City is actually quite liberal by Utah standards and have elected some pretty radical left wing Mayors the last decade or longer. SLC itself has a pretty large gay community also.

I dont know anything about tax's and my opinion on them doesnt really matter.

I feel that churches whom help out their community should receive a tax break.

Now as far as executives, athletes making tons of money, I dont see the problem.

If you have a rare talent that other people dont posses and someone is willing to pay you that much, why not?

The business's that pay them are making WAY more than they make.

Its a business and they are producing a good, they should be able to make as much money as they can.

Wow. Some thoughts.

I started this thread because I thought the article funny. I mean how many gay guys actually vacation in Utah? How many folks are going to change their vacation destination over this issue? How come gays are boycotting visiting AZ and FL that had similiar "anti" gay legislation being voted on.

Jon,
Once prior to the current life I got stuck behind pride parade driving a tow truck with a 60' articulated bus hanging on the back end. I was the only certified tow driver for MUNI living in the City and got called in on overtime, on a Sunday. The pay scale had pyramid premiums, 1.5x for OT and then 96% on top of that. ($20 x 1.5 = $30) + (96% of 30) = $58.80. I sat there backed up for 4 hours.

Lucky. Whenever I got stuck, I wasn't on OT. Hell, I wasn't even getting paid - I was trying to get somewhere to rack up some hours. Hazzards of road service work...

The religion thing,
Live and let live. Those demanding tolerance here in SF are the most intolerant. The loudest boorish homosexuals are also ranting against the Catholic Church, but here's the rub. At my church, the one used as the set in the Whoopi Goldberg movie Sister Act, I NEVER ONCE heard the priest say "Yes on 8". I guess we are lucky, he puts the spiritual health of the congregation above the policitcal & material BS.

Once again, that's become a relative rarity. I liken the idea of politicising sermons to the fact that you or I could not espouse a political position while in uniform - as it goes from being a "personal opinion" to an "organisational opinion", and it's perceived as a stance taken by the military as a whole. If religious leaders want to take a position, they can do so in their off hours, and when not sermonising - just like the rest of us. Once they do it from the pulpit, it should be considered the viewpoint of the organisation being represented, and the organisation must pay to play.

As you well know, men like us are willing to protect the rights of others - even if we are not ourselves, at the time, able to exercise those right while doing so. No need to explain. Your priest belongs to what is rapidly becoming a dying breed, and I'm happy to find that they're not extinct yet.

We are not a rich parish even though it's centered amongst $1m homes, most folks here just aren't religious, or bother to go to church. Lot's of C&E catholics ie Christmas & Easter. The $3K per Sunday collection just makes the bills, if it wasn't for the 11th commandmant "Thou Shall Play Weekly Bingo" putting an additional $2K in the coffers we couldn't make our expenses.

In my opinion two things contributed to Prop 8 passing.
1st: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kKn5LNhNto

2nd: Marriage is not taught in the schools according to the State Superintendent of Education. He lied. It was on the State Board of Education Website that it is.

We Americans, as Free Men, will not tolerate being told "Whether you like it or not" nor being blatantly lied to.

We "Free Men" are also a dying breed - after all, haven't politicians been lying to use for the last 50-60 years or so? They lie to get into office, do basically what they damned well please during their term (usually nothing, or close to it,) the lie to us some more to stay in office. Yet another reason I'd like to see pay for Congresscritters drop drastically and "retirement benefits" go away wholly - perhaps then they'd be willing to actually do something, instead of jawbone away in a sinecure somewhere because they're not qualified to hold a productve job (regardless of education. I know most of them hold JDs anymore - but I've known some seriously stupid attorneys... Most of the current batch of Congresscritters should be out pushing idiot sticks - they'd be doing something more useful that way...)

Oh - and last time you were down here, Tom, didn't you let slip that you'd wanted that D30 disco housing for a conversion? I'm finally almost in a position to start ripping down that 1990, and I wanted to make sure (it's been pretty damned goofy around here for the last few months, but we're finally getting sorted.) It's a disco housing, has no cover or carrier, and that's about it. But, it's a 1990HP, so you should be able to make it work for whatever you're doing... Let me know, would you?

Back on topic, LDS churches and temples and Catholic churches are being attacked by domestic terrorists, following the Prop 8 vote. 7 churches here in Utah have been attacked by vandals using bullets, rocks and spray paint. The two churches in my neighborhood were targeted, including the one that I attend weekly.

I personally don't think that the gay community is behind the attacks, more like individuals who oppose the Christian beliefs and see this as an opportunity to act out.

Hate to say this, but it's a sign of the times and things prophesied. Good will be called evil and evil called good, those standing for good will be persecuted for their beliefs.

We've got Arnold telling the California gay community that he hopes the courts will overturn the will of the majority.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-protest10-2008nov10,0,4939340.story

Another sign of the times, the moral decay and breakdown of our governing process, where activist Judges are allowed to overrule laws that reflect the will of the majority.

ok, I love to hear "separation of church and state", here we go. The second amendment. Congress shall make no laws respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercising thereof, or abrigining the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people to peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. Can anyone tell me where the hell it says the separation of church and state? Does it say the separation of the press and state? Should the press even report the political happenings? IT says the separation of state and church. Before we ride the rails someone else lays down, lets look at where they take the train. The bible states certain rules, to bend the rules for the sake of P.C. bs is just that bs. The Church should pay taxes, and should either stand behind the book they say they represent, or rewrite the book. Sorry for the rant, separation of church and state freaks me out, I actually can read the paper some seem to quote. Not tryin to be STUPID, I just am. Love ya'll Topic, sorry LDS

ok, I love to hear "separation of church and state", here we go. The second amendment. Congress shall make no laws respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercising thereof, or abrigining the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people to peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. Can anyone tell me where the hell it says the separation of church and state? Does it say the separation of the press and state? Should the press even report the political happenings? IT says the separation of state and church. Before we ride the rails someone else lays down, lets look at where they take the train. The bible states certain rules, to bend the rules for the sake of P.C. bs is just that bs. The Church should pay taxes, and should either stand behind the book they say they represent, or rewrite the book. Sorry for the rant, separation of church and state freaks me out, I actually can read the paper some seem to quote. Not tryin to be STUPID, I just am. Love ya'll Topic, sorry LDS

Not trying to be stupid? Maybe the FIRST amendment?
Just yankin' yer chain, it was an honest typo.

Right?

When they wrote the constitution, the Church was more influential than the government. I'm thinking they tried to limit the churches involvement in government, trying to avoid a theocracy. Though it's doubtful the church has all that much separation from government now or has ever been truly separate. More like parallel shepherds of the citizenry.

I truly think much of the animosity towards the church is by people trying to validate there actions. One way to reduce criminals is to decriminalize there actions. Or in other words, if there isn't any church to say what I am doing is wrong, it isn't wrong.

A reality check, you see the youngsters dressing up like there ideals, they all run down and buy the in shirt or skirt. Mainstreaming homosexuality is bound to influence the youngsters and many will likely experiment with the lifestyle regardless of there true inclinations. If a youngster asked me today what he or she should do as carreer, I'd likely advise them to be a proctologist, business will be booming. I wonder how long before somebody dreams up anal implants? I keep asking myself if the homosexual activism isn't in reality managed by predators.

Do some reading on homosexuality, the old Jews (being a practical people) have some enlightening writings on the subject, along with beastilaity and other non trditional sexual practices. The gist of it is, been there done that, it didn't turn out well in the past and will likely turn out poorly in the future. No matter how sophisticated you think you are, you are actually just a few thousand years from stone implements and making fire by friction.

Last edited:
Great, now they're gonna come after Catholics too.
They already are. Tomorrow morning they're protesting out in front of the Catholic church in town here. Last week it was at the Mormon church.

I call upon the supporters of same-sex marriage to live by their own
> words � and to refrain from discrimination against religion and to
> exercise tolerance for those who differ from them. I call upon them to
> accept the will of the people of California in the passage of
> Proposition 8."
I fully agree with this

I would say that makes you a rarity as well - as the first "born-again" who doesn't preach to everyone about being "saved."
How many people preach to you? What I'm tired of is people talking about "born-again" Christians or "fundamentalist" Christians like it's a bad thing. If you're a Christian, you're a born again. If you're an irritating person, you'll be an irritating Christian. Christians are told in the Bible to go out and tell everyone. However, there's a time and a place for it, not everyone everywhere wants to hear it all the time. Some people are open to hear it, others will call you every name in the book. How is that people can spout off about political views, jeepin views, whatever, and people have no problem, but everyone gets all butt hurt when you mention God? I mean seriously, if someone who truly believes in the Bible is trying to share the gospel with you, it's (usually) because they're concerned for where you'll be for eternity.
Sorry, rant over :soapbox: :D

How many people preach to you? What I'm tired of is people talking about "born-again" Christians or "fundamentalist" Christians like it's a bad thing. If you're a Christian, you're a born again. If you're an irritating person, you'll be an irritating Christian. Christians are told in the Bible to go out and tell everyone. However, there's a time and a place for it, not everyone everywhere wants to hear it all the time. Some people are open to hear it, others will call you every name in the book. How is that people can spout off about political views, jeepin views, whatever, and people have no problem, but everyone gets all butt hurt when you mention God? I mean seriously, if someone who truly believes in the Bible is trying to share the gospel with you, it's (usually) because they're concerned for where you'll be for eternity.
Sorry, rant over :soapbox: :D

I differentiate between the "born again" Christians (who picked it up somewhat late in life,) and the "born & raised" Christians. Those who came to it rather late tend to be more aggressive about the whole thing, while those who came up with it are more low-key about it, don't drag Faith into a discussion by the heels, and are willing to discuss it with a more open mind.

Two examples - both in my immediate family (and I'm sure I've talked about them before.)

My brother-in-law (Mike) is what I think of as a "classic Born-Again Christian." He hit bottom with dope (I think cocaine was his drug of choice,) and "found God" some 25 years or so ago. When conversing about pretty much any topic you could name, he'll drag God in by the heels and say just how good his life has been since he was saved.

My daughter-in-law (Elisia) and her family are primarily Ukrainian, and were all raised Christian Orthodox. We can converse with her - or her family - for hours on end and not hear the first mention of God or of faith, unless it's related to the topic at hand (and not tangentially - but directly.) Separate intellect from emotion from faith, and one can converse well.

One more once, I don't have anything at all against Faith or Belief. My argument concerns having it foisted upon me without asking or after I've said I don't want to hear it (I've been trying to get Mike to understand that point for the last dozen years. I may have to get out a large stick next time, I'm getting worn out...)

I really don't even have trouble with "fundamentalist" Christians (to use your word) - save perhaps those arsewits who follow the Right Reverend Phelps back east, and protest at funerals (which is just plain wrong, I don't care who you are.) I simply view them as people who take their beliefs very much to heart - and, as long as they don't drag it in by the heels when I talk to them about anything, we'll get along just fine.

But, it seems that every time I've had to deal with a "born again" Christian (my brother-in-law, my neice Shala, people I've worked with, ...) they always seem to be the most aggressive sort of Believer - one step short of radical Islam, as far as conviction goes (they just don't take it upon themselves to attack anyone anymore. With Christians, that went out with the Crusades.) I like to think I'm pretty tolerant, but when it's thrown up in my face I do tend to more actively reject the idea. If you want to get someone to start thinking your way, either appeal to their intellect (for those that are rather bright) or try to gently come at them sidewise (for those who are not, or who are deep-seated in their own convictions.) Getting in someone's face usually doesn't work - if you can find my old man, you can ask him how that worked out. He did finally get the wall fixed, but it took him a while and he wasn't any good at fixing drywall...

Quoth George Carlin - "Religion is like a lift in your shoe. If you need it for a while and it helps you walk straight, that's a good thing. But, very few people need lifts forever. And, for God's sake, let's not go nailing lifts onto the natives' feet!" (Altered slightly - "very few" was originally "no-one." Catch is, we're just not that grown up as a people, I think.)

5-90 said:
Once again, that's become a relative rarity. I liken the idea of politicising sermons to the fact that you or I could not espouse a political position while in uniform - as it goes from being a "personal opinion" to an "organisational opinion", and it's perceived as a stance taken by the military as a whole. If religious leaders want to take a position, they can do so in their off hours, and when not sermonising - just like the rest of us. Once they do it from the pulpit, it should be considered the viewpoint of the organisation being represented, and the organisation must pay to play.

I gotta say, I've never been to a church that out and out tells people how to vote. Even in my church, where the pastor (my father in law) has some very strong political views, we'll discuss topics that may be getting voted on (but those topics generally come up fairly regularly anyways, even outside of voting season), but it'll be to say this is what the Bible says. He won't tell us who to vote for or what to vote on though. I've been to a lot of different churches (comes with the territory when you move across country and then join the military) and none of them have preached politics from the pulpit. It would seem to me that churches that do would be the minority from my experience as well as those others who've posted their experience.

I know some people who give their lives to Christ get very excited about sharing their experience. Unfortunately, some of these people don't know when to stop. There's always an element that goes to extremes, which I think is true in any group, religious and not. Bashing others over the head with a Bible or protesting funerals is wrong. Their actoins don't represent Christianity, but rather their misguided/askew beliefs. I can certainly understand anyone getting annoyed at these people. Here's a better approach: Go unto the world and spread the Gospel. And if you must, use words.

By the way, I've never been to any church that gets involved in politics. People's faith shapes their world view--as it should--and they tend to vote for the candidate whose platform aligns best with their view.

I know some people who give their lives to Christ get very excited about sharing their experience. Unfortunately, some of these people don't know when to stop.

That would be the key issue - "know when to say when." Just like anything else - you end up with the most militant faction of it all getting all of the ink, all of the recognition, and all of the exposure. Which screws up everyone else.

"Live and let live, that's my motto. Anyone who can't agree with that, take them outside and shoot the m********." -George Carlin

Darky, I truly enjoy your posts, and agree with you. I believe what I believe, if someone sees the influence in my life I will share with them my experience. I try to reflect my beliefs, and by so doing show others the influence in my life. I will not "preach at someone", it's useless, I will show others the way I feel, I TRY.The people protesting in the streets are the same that call Christians "bigots", and other sundry names, so why should not the Christians protest and act as radical as those that oppose them? It is because the Christians, for the most part can differentiate between loving someone for the fact that they are someone, and being forced to "accept" something that you totally disagree with. I do not care what you do as a person, unless it involves me or my family. To legalise "gay" marriage is not a government job, marriage is not a government issue the freedom of religion from government is clear, I printed it for us. Marriage is a Church issue, well what about insurance and benifits, people may ask? I state marriage is a biblical concept, a religious union, made between a couple and "GOD" not Uncle Sam. Call it what you will, marriage is taken. Does that make sense?

This is how I preach, if people wanna talk to me about it they come to me, lol.

I dont have the "Yes on 8" nor do I have the McCain/Palin one.

Jeep004.jpg

Back