• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small Black Ants in vehicle cause electrical problems

urbanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Last weekend I noticed small black ants crawling out of my dash-board.

Speaking with my wife, she has the same insect problem in her Honda.

I expect to find them in the XJ...

I did a google search on "Automotive Ants" and got this:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/05/14/national/a110350D66.DTL

Just want to give ya'll a heads up since apparently the ants are attracted to electrical equipment and are known to cause problems.

I am treating them with some Combat brand Ant Gel. Will post the results in a few weeks.

You can keep 'em.

We don nee no stink'n rasp-bury aunts up here !

Good luck!

Note to self: Don't buy any Sothern XJs. They're full of creeeeeapy bugs!

The Combat Ant gel did not work on these dang Rasburerry Ants.

So, I got my propane insect fogger and went to town fogging the inside of the car, truck and jeep. It looked like a scene out of a cheech & chong movie.

These ants are all over the place. Just heard a story that the EPA has approved the use of Termidor SC (apparently a termite insecticide) in my county and others. I'm going to get me some of this stuff and spray it all around my house.

"HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Environmental Protection Agency has approved the use of pesticides to combat Raspberry Ants in our area.
The EPA approved pesticide use in Brazoria, Galveston, Harris, Jefferson, Liberty, Montgomery and Wharton counties.
The Texas Department of Agriculture will be allowed to use a pesticide called Termidor SC to fight Raspberry Ants, named after a local exterminator who discovered them in 2002. The ants are blamed for electrical shorts in homes and businesses around the Houston area."

2104354803_81b07cd184.jpg

Back