• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Garage Essentials?

for rear axle gear oil, i have a thing that threads onto the smaller bottles of gear oil, its basically a nozzle with a shutoff valve. no need for a pump, just feed it like a baby!

X2!! i wear safety glasses religously when doing metal working- anytime when drilling, grinding and welding. of course i wear a welding hood when welding but i also wear a face shield when grinding. even when taking those precautions its possible to get debris in your eyes. dont take chances with your eyes.

on that note, a small box of disposable foam ear plugs is a good tool to have as well. what did you say??
I dont like the disposable ear plugs since they always seem to fall out, but I do use my ear muffs whenever I am using a grinder and sometimes a sawsall. Im also starting to wear them when welding anything over my head.

Having a hot spark roll into your ear is not something I enjoy. :smsoap:

Only thing I really have to add is I really like my Craftsman socket set. It comes in a plastic container that keeps everything nicely organized and easy to get to. No more hunting around in a drawer for the right socket.

I use socket clip strips for that... the plastic container got so beat up it wasn't clipping shut anymore. As a bonus, they fit nicely in the junkyard bag.

EDIT: these - http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...=Tool+Storage&sName=Tools+Storage+Accessories

I've been expecting them to break for weeks, but they've survived the junkyard bag, bouncing around in the back of the MJ, and being slid/thrown under jeeps for quite some time now.

Last edited:
for disposable ear plugs, put em between your thumb and index finger and roll them, compressing them, then insert them and allow them to spring back INSIDE your ear...

its amazing how many people dont know this...

I use socket clip strips for that... the plastic container got so beat up it wasn't clipping shut anymore. As a bonus, they fit nicely in the junkyard bag.

EDIT: these - http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...=Tool+Storage&sName=Tools+Storage+Accessories

I've been expecting them to break for weeks, but they've survived the junkyard bag, bouncing around in the back of the MJ, and being slid/thrown under jeeps for quite some time now.
I can never seem to use those properly. I seem to always bend the holder and it either makes the socket fall off or impossible to get off.

I got ~3 years out of my first Craftsman box before it got beat up like yours did. I consider that pretty good for what it costs and what it comes with.

for disposable ear plugs, put em between your thumb and index finger and roll them, compressing them, then insert them and allow them to spring back INSIDE your ear...

its amazing how many people dont know this...
I know how to use them, but I have never had a pair actually stay in my ear and be useful in cutting the noise on both ears.

With how sporadic I am, I will grind for five minutes, and then not use any power tools for two ours, then grind for thirty seconds and then stop for five minutes, etc etc. My earmuffs are on and off so much it would be a PITA to have to put those plugs in and out that often.
I gots to hear my tunes when Im working!

With how sporadic I am, I will grind for five minutes, and then not use any power tools for two ours, then grind for thirty seconds and then stop for five minutes, etc etc. My earmuffs are on and off so much it would be a PITA to have to put those plugs in and out that often.
I gots to hear my tunes when Im working!

But how do you get muffs and a mask on?

i picked up a pair of 14" vice grips from harbor freight like 2 years ago mainly cause they were cool but I use them a ton and I wont go with out them now

harbor freight sells deep impact sockets set for $20 with case, buy both metric and standard sockets for $40 then you have a nice set of impact sockets and case for them for the price

HF angle 4.5" grinders do the job, not most powerful but pretty good for the $$ so far

It was suggested to me that I get a set of prybars. I got two sets. One fixed and one adjustable both from Craftsman.

I am constantly using them now.

Dead blow hammer from HF is cool when you want to hit something without ruining it.

Clamps of various sizes.

Large assortment of zipties.

HF angle 4.5" grinders do the job, not most powerful but pretty good for the $$ so far

Home depot has a deal for two dewalt grinders that run 99 bucks. I use them and they are durable.

Last edited:
It was suggested to me that I get a set of prybars. I got two sets. One fixed and one adjustable both from Craftsman.

I am constantly using them now.

Dead blow hammer from HF is cool when you want to hit something without ruining it.

Clamps of various sizes.

Large assortment of zipties.
I had to put my prybar to good use recently. Had the right rear wheel seize onto the hub from rust. Stuck a prybar in between the wheel and drum brake and used my new 4lb sledge. Made quick work of it after going around a few more times. :scottm:

I apply a light amount of penetrox or anti seize to my brake hat when I put my wheels on. Keeps them from fighting when I take them off.

Also some on my studs so the lugnuts don't fight as bad.

I just bought a DeWalt Band Saw last night to replace my HF pos one, it cuts like butter! I am never going to waste my time with HF tools again (power tools).

Also replaced my HF grinder last week with the DeWalt grinder it is also a lot smoother and quieter.

Next up is a plasma cutter...

Back