• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally got an Xj again!

Had one heck of a time yesterday, and not one rig made it home in one piece. Whether it was my jeep breaking an axle shaft, my cousin Toyota losing breaks, or my friends Toyota catching on fire, having the hood fly open going down the highway or it spewing oil into the cab...

Got in a few good hours of wheeling though.

Here is where my carnage began. Up on firebreak Five at the rock garden.
IMG_0120_zps637f7e5b.jpg

upon closer inspection you see why I was stuck.
IMG_0122_zpsdd519537.jpg

And after trying to get myself unstuck this happened on the drivers side. (and I'm the idiot who didn't bring any spares)
IMG_0125_zps0de5483f.jpg

So after that I didn't wanna call it a day yet so we continued on the trail and i was doing great until 1 spot it got a little to slick and a little to steep. I was trying to back up to get a good run and my rear windows were completely fogged. The only warning I got was my cousin yelling tree a millisecond before I hit it.
IMG_0127_zpsf3743725.jpg

So after that I really want to lock the rear end, and get rid of the crappy Dana 30 front axle and find a dana 44. Also my drive shaft is way to short and was making noises the entire time, so it's on the list too.

If anybody has a dana 44 or knows of somebody you should let me know. I won't have any cash until may though so I'm not in any sort of rush.

Thanks for the links, but those are a bit rich for my blood. I am leaning toward a pair of 60's right now. Also the broken shaft took out a bit more than i thought. Gotta tear down the axle tomorrow and check it out.

I've done a lot of thinking lately and I decided I'm gonna move forward with an idea I had a long time ago to swap the engine, trans, and axles from this jeep over to my 2wd 1989 Comanche sportruck. It's in decent chair minus a messed up front clip. I just feel I would like the Comanche more and it's in better shape overall.

eby6ehep.jpg

Here's a shot of the front end. It was in a head on collision sometime in the 90's and sat in a police impound for nearly a decade so it only has 115,000 miles on the body, but like most jeeps from 1989 it's clear coat is peeling.
9uzete6y.jpg

Here's a shot of the dent in the drivers side fender.
dy2esy8e.jpg

So I will either move the parts from cherokee to Comanche and part out the jeep and Comanche parts, or swap them and sell the cherokee as a whole vehicle. If any of you guys have and interest in some of the parts let me know and we can work something reasonable out. It's going to be a little while before I get this rolling but I can save the stuff for you if your interested.

Back